New Fulves info on Magicpedia

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Jeff Pierce Magic

New Fulves info on Magicpedia

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 1st, 2012, 11:49 am

I've added what I think to be interesting info about "Midnight Magic Monthly" including a photo of a issue.

Jeff Pierce

http://www.geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Karl_Fulves

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: New Fulves info on Magicpedia

Postby Joe Pecore » June 1st, 2012, 11:54 am

I just saw that. Thanks for updating!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 1st, 2012, 12:40 pm

Does K.F. have a "job" outside of magic publishing?
His reclusive nature does tend to beg questions about him :)

I find him one of the (if not "the") most enigmatic people in all of magic.

........I wonder if R.K. knows him, and if there's even the slightest possibility of ever seeing R.K. interview him in Genii?

What a great issue that would be.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 1st, 2012, 1:12 pm

? he was sociable when we met at Tannen's a few times. And has been consistant about keeping his involvment with the public in magic to his publications and via his PO Box. One afternoon at Tannen's he introduced us to Scot Kim's Ambigrams.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 1st, 2012, 1:22 pm

I have met Karl at Tannen's and elsewhere a few times. Because I was friends with Harry Lorayne, he was not amenable to being social.

We have corresponded more recently and I believe we've run a trick or two of his in Magicana at some point.

He must be in his mid 70s by now.

There is absolutely no chance that he will allow himself to be interviewed for any magic periodical.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 1st, 2012, 3:06 pm

It makes you wonder what drives somebody so deeply involved in magic, and magic publishing to remain completely anonymous relative to most authors of magic publications?

The scope of his work is so vast that he's obviously interacted with a wide selection of magics creators over the decades.
Does he do all his interaction by mail, or are folks who deal with him sworn to secrecy?

His Riffle Shuffle work specifically flies awfully close to the flame in terms of the relationship between card magic and those who cheat at cards for a living.
Fulves seems extremely well traveled for somebody that nobody seems to know that well :)

The man seems quite the mystery really.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 3rd, 2012, 12:54 pm

From various TV listings in 1977:

"Mike Douglas Mike and his cohosts, Bruce and Chrystie Jenner, will talk with singing group England Dan and John Ford Coley, Jesse Owens, Jeff Altman, magician Karl Fulves and Marjoe Gortner"

The Mike Douglas show was syndicated, and various markets ran it at different times. This show was run primarily on Tues 13 Sept 1977, but ran as late as a month later in some markets.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 3rd, 2012, 1:07 pm

I've heard that he works (or worked, since he's probably retired) in computers.

The few that used to have his phone number were sworn to secrecy. Mostly, no one had his phone number--he would call them.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 3rd, 2012, 1:28 pm

In Apocalypse, Harry referred to film of Fulves performing. I wonder if that is still available?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 3rd, 2012, 1:35 pm

Lots of bad blood between Harry and Karl. I think Harry was remarking negatively upon Karl's performance on the Mike Douglas Show.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » June 3rd, 2012, 2:22 pm

No, Guys. I don't think I ever saw that great performance, nor do I recall writing about it. (Although Mr. Fulpis did review one of MY TV appearances - negatively, of course.) If you care to do the research (in APOCALYPSE) I did write about his lies and thievery. He was a great "accuser" - accusing others while he periodically stole from others. For years, for example, he'd write that I never gave T. A. (Tom) Waters credit for an item of mine, when that credit was/is in the VERY FIRST LINE of my write up of that item. (If you care to check - it's my The Card Pyramid - Page 45 in the original Deck-Sterity.) I mentioned that in APOCALYPSE - and the great accuser simpy kept spouting that lie.

After my The Epitome Location was published, and as he continued to accuse me of not giving the Tom Waters credit, he published an almost exact rip-off of it.

A vignette I wrote: It was 1962/63. My first book (C-UCM) seemed to be a large hit. I was asked to do quite a few lectures for magicians then. I'm performing Out of This Universe, which I taught in that book, and after having the deck shuffled by different people a number of times, the next "piece" is to have the spectator deal out the entire deck, putting the cards he thinks are red in one pile, the blacks in another - no halfway stop.
There was this scruffy looking guy sitting right in front, in a dirty overcoat, who hadn't laughed or even smiled once, when everyone else was smiling/laughing. I guess I thought I'd "involve" him - handed him the shuffled deck and asked him to do the deal-out. Ready? He dealt two cards in one pile - AND DEALT THE REMAINING 50 CARDS INTO THE OTHER PILE! Think about that for a moment! It didn't bother me much, I simply gathered all the cards and handed them to a "normal" person. No problem; the routine received the gasps/standing ovation that it usually received.

I cannot explain that kind of behavior. Jealousy? Perhaps. But that's who we're "dealing with", folks. IN MY OPINION.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » June 9th, 2012, 10:09 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I've heard that he works (or worked, since he's probably retired) in computers.

The few that used to have his phone number were sworn to secrecy. Mostly, no one had his phone number--he would call them.

Richard, I actually found his number in one of his periodicals. I don't know if it's still an active number or not, I'm to scared to try it. Lol!

Jeff

P.S. do not pm me for his number, I won't give it out.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 9th, 2012, 11:59 am

The periodical must be very old, and I know it no longer works.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”