Interesting Jack Ripper theory

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Modern Maximus

Interesting Jack Ripper theory

Postby Modern Maximus » May 11th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Since some do JTR seances, and I will probably do my first this year, I thought this was an interesting article:
http://news.yahoo.com/jackie-ripper-inf ... 27739.html

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Interesting Jack Ripper theory

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 25th, 2012, 9:13 am

Why is it acceptable to seance Jack the Ripper?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 25th, 2012, 10:59 am

Jonathan, thats's a weird question.
WHY NOT?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » May 25th, 2012, 11:38 am

Too soon?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 25th, 2012, 12:12 pm

That's part of my thinking, that his vicitms and others whose lives were affected likely felt it was too soon.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 25th, 2012, 12:17 pm

If his victims had any thoughts on the matter, wouldn't a seance be the best vehicle for them to express their thoughts? After all, they are dead.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 25th, 2012, 12:28 pm

If I felt this sort of play had any benefits in terms of "catch the conscience of the king" - I'd ask a different question.
The "Jack" story is about unpunished and extreme misogynistic cruelty. What else makes this okay? What line do we draw to reject doing sances to contact the spirits of others to make social or political commentary?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » May 25th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Seances mostly make fools of the people who believe them, so "the play's the thing..."

Modern Maximus

Postby Modern Maximus » May 25th, 2012, 11:23 pm

"Why is it acceptable to seance Jack the Ripper?"

People probably want to seance Jack for entertainment value. Like going to the scariest movie you can, and if it's a movie based on fact, then all the more scary. And it has been so long ago that no victims families members that live today would even have known the victims.

"Seances mostly make fools of the people who believe them, so "the play's the thing...""

Arguably, some of todays greatest minds in mentalism mix theatrics with real seances.

I won't get into an argument about seances being real or not, it's like faith in a particular religion or particular political party(in my opinion). Speaking of religion, there is Spiritualism, a religion sprung from Christianity that conducts seances.

I'm just saying that there are some in the field who believe. I believe there may or may not be something to them. It is what it is.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » May 26th, 2012, 12:06 am

"Jonathan, thats's a weird question.
WHY NOT?"

Because he was the Charles Manson of his time?

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » May 26th, 2012, 2:37 am

A fascinating book is Popular Crime, written by Bill James, generally considered the father of Sabrmetrics (the study of baseball statistics). It's basically the history of every serious crime that ever dominated the news in America.

These stories, and the general cultural reaction to them, provide insights into human nature that are difficult or impossible to obtain any other way. These insights are not always positive nor comfortable, so they're not for everyone.

It's not surprising that magicians, and magic audiences, are interested in mysteries.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » May 26th, 2012, 3:48 am

Pete McCabe wrote:A fascinating book is Popular Crime, written by Bill James, generally considered the father of Sabrmetrics (the study of baseball statistics). It's basically the history of every serious crime that ever dominated the news in America.

Wow, who would have thought that all serious crime in the US stems from baseball. Forget 'Jack The Ripper', that's a great hook for a script. And I understand the game is still played?

Cricket is a far better game. It is only played and understood by the upper classes in Britain. The games last five days, so there is plenty of time for tea and crumpet. By the end of the game all the players are too bored to get involved in any kind of crime.

Modern Maximus

Postby Modern Maximus » May 26th, 2012, 11:09 am

Pete McCabe wrote:A fascinating book is Popular Crime, written by Bill James, generally considered the father of Sabrmetrics (the study of baseball statistics). It's basically the history of every serious crime that ever dominated the news in America.

These stories, and the general cultural reaction to them, provide insights into human nature that are difficult or impossible to obtain any other way. These insights are not always positive nor comfortable, so they're not for everyone.

It's not surprising that magicians, and magic audiences, are interested in mysteries.

I am fascinated by human behavior (and back in school working on a psych degree) so this sounds like a very interesting book! These types of books sometimes give me an idea for a paper or data for a paper.

In one such paper in which I had to counsel someone (just a generic anyone,to show some knowledge of counseling skills). My imagination activated and I ended up counseling (on paper)the sibling of a notorious killer who thought that he may have some of the same tendencies of his notorious brother. Of course, I was brilliant in my counseling! :grin:

I won't mention who the killer was as it is someone much more current then JTR and he really has a sibling.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”