Dean Martin doing card sleights?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
TAR

Dean Martin doing card sleights?

Postby TAR » May 22nd, 2012, 9:38 am

While listening to some Dean Martin songs on youtube I came across this particular song (your cheatin' heart) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGAVOW-O5RA in which he does a few card flourishes at the end. Was Dean a magic enthusiast?

Diego

Re: Dean Martin doing card sleights?

Postby Diego » May 22nd, 2012, 10:41 am

Dean dealt blackjack in the games that operated in his hometown, Stubenville, Ohio.

In Nick Tosches' book, "Dino", he quotes Martin, "You think acting is hard, try standing on your feet, dealing blackjack for 8 hours a night."

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 22nd, 2012, 10:44 am

It has been previously mentioned on this forum that Dean did card sleights in the movie Who Was That Lady? (also with Tony Curtis). So far I've been unable to view that via Netflix.

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » May 22nd, 2012, 3:33 pm

My uncle, Ted Haworth, was the art director on "Who Was That Lady" with Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh, and Dean. Ted told me that Dean Martin was the best card magician he'd ever seen. He told me "Dean can do anything with cards."

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 22nd, 2012, 4:14 pm

Milton Berle did a few card moves on one of the old game shoes once - I believe it was 'what's my line'. May have been to tell the truth. Gary Moore was the host.

Did a pretty fast pass.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 22nd, 2012, 4:59 pm

Dean's former partner Jerry Lewis played a magician in a movie (Geisha Boy) and had his name on a magic book. Wonder if the two of them "sessioned" on the road?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 22nd, 2012, 5:09 pm

I hate the iPhone.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » May 22nd, 2012, 11:33 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I hate the iPhone.

Don't feel bad, Brad. You're not alone in you battle with autocorrect.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » May 23rd, 2012, 4:38 pm

Richard Hatch wrote:Dean's former partner Jerry Lewis played a magician in a movie (Geisha Boy) and had his name on a magic book. Wonder if the two of them "sessioned" on the road?

If you're referring to The Jerry Lewis Book of Tricks and Magic (my first magic book purchase BTW), I'm not convinced Jerry had anything to do with anything in the book except having his name on the title. A few years ago I found a copy of the same book in the kid's section of a public library except it had a different title and no references to Jerry Lewis. Aside from the covers, the two books were identical including the photo illustrations. I don't remember if it was printed before or after the Jerry Lewis version that I have.

JMD

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » May 23rd, 2012, 5:00 pm

As I recall, that's a pretty terrible book, mostly arranging matchsticks and similar betchas. And then, amid all that... the Center Tear!

Who in the world selected the material for that book?

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » May 24th, 2012, 12:13 am

The book was written by James R. Blackman and originally published under his name, then re-titled "The Jerry Lewis Book of Tricks and Magic", no doubt to boost sales and cash in on his celebrity.
Here's the Jerry Lewis version:
http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Lewis-book- ... B0006AXP2O
And the original:
http://www.amazon.com/The-big-book-tric ... 656&sr=1-1
Identical content. I think both came out in 1962.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » June 7th, 2012, 9:41 am

To add to this thread I I did a taped interview with Jackle Flosso about year before he passed away. Jackie told me the Al Flosso knew Dean Martin long before Martin and Lewis formed. Al told Jackie that Dean Martin was a card dealer in Atlantic City when he met him. They were friends.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”