Walton's Cascade

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Phil Pearce

Walton's Cascade

Postby Phil Pearce » May 17th, 2012, 12:49 am

Anybody know where I can purchase this in the States?
Thanks.

Phil

Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.
Roald Dahl

timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Re: Walton's Cascade

Postby timbrown » May 17th, 2012, 10:03 am

I know that you can still purchase Bob Farmer's "Mutanz" which is very good and built upon the also excellent "Cascade". I haven't see the original for a long time but it may still be out there somewhere.

Phil Pearce

Postby Phil Pearce » May 17th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Thanks Tim. I'll look into that, and I'll also keep looking for the original Cascade.

Phil

Roald Dahl

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 17th, 2012, 6:18 pm

I'm fairly certain that the only place you can get a legit copy is from Davenport's in Charing Cross. They used to sell the original, but most of the sales are for Terri Rogers' Rainbow Cascade (the same routine, but with shiny backed cards instead of odd backs).

A few years ago someone sold a routine that was identical to Cascade - they had reinvented the whole thing! Roy agreed that they could sell their stock, and then it was discontinued. Can't remember the name, though.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » May 17th, 2012, 11:32 pm

Jerry Mentzer's Magic Methods Online Magic Shop has sold this for years at http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/cmagic.html

Ad:

CASCADE by Roy Walton This is another "goodie" from Roy Walton whose trick "Cardwarp" took the magic world by storm! In this effect, "Cascade", four cards turn face up, then face down in a most remarkable manner. At the finish of the effect, the performer shows he has been using trick cards- two have blank faces and two others have gaudy colored backs!! And the cards can be examined! They are indeed strange, but not gimmicked. If you can do an Elmsley count, this is an excellent effect to carry with you. Use the four cards as "covers" for your favorite coin assembly after performing "Cascade". SKILL LEVEL-Experienced/Medium PRICE-$5.00

Note: Firefox can't handle the text on his webpages. It's always been one of the most low-tech sites out there but something happens in Firefox. It looks fine in Internet Explorer.

Another note: I've been performing "Cascade" regularly for over 25 years and I would not want to use borderless cards, as shown in the pic on this webpage. This may be a good source for the instructions, but I'd be on the lookout for different, white-bordered cards.

Good luck! It's a great trick! Lots of variations out there but this is still excellent itself.

Steve H

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 18th, 2012, 9:54 am

I used to do Rainbow Cascade ALL the time. Got great reactions. Might dig out.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 18th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Did you car the cards printed up with your contact info on the faces/backs as giveaways?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 18th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Did you car the cards printed up with your contact info on the faces/backs as giveaways?

No that's a brilliant idea!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 18th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Phil:

Please see the 10th item on this page for Walton's original for sale (from Jerry Mentzer):
http://www.magicmethodsonline.com/cmagic.html

Also, Lybrary.com sells Peter Duffie's version ("Downfall")
http://www.lybrary.com/downfall-p-895.html
Good luck!

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 18th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Steve Hook wrote:Note: Firefox can't handle the text on his webpages. It's always been one of the most low-tech sites out there but something happens in Firefox. It looks fine in Internet Explorer.

Yikes. It's messed up in Chrome as well. I can see exactly what the problem is, too. Gonna shoot him an e-mail...

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 19th, 2012, 3:59 am

I haven't checked, but I'm assuming he's adding a +1 font every time without cancelling the last one?

BTW, I had lunch with Bob Farmer yesterday who told me that Mutanz is the only Roy authourised version you'll get outside Davenport's (that is, the only one that gets him money). I'm not sure if he knew about Peter's version, which I'm sure will have Roy's blessing.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 19th, 2012, 6:30 am

Ian Kendall wrote:I haven't checked, but I'm assuming he's adding a +1 font every time without cancelling the last one?

BTW, I had lunch with Bob Farmer yesterday who told me that Mutanz is the only Roy authourised version you'll get outside Davenport's (that is, the only one that gets him money). I'm not sure if he knew about Peter's version, which I'm sure will have Roy's blessing.

Indeed, there is a notation on the Lybrary.com site that Peter has Roy's permission to release his version.

John Bannon has an excellent extended version as well:
http://johnbannonmagic.com/fractalcardm ... lscam.html

(What's interesting to me about John's routine is how he deals with the number of cards used during the routine)

Phil Pearce

Postby Phil Pearce » May 30th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Thanks to all!

Phil

Roald Dahl

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 31st, 2012, 7:01 am

"Cascade" is one of the greatest card tricks of all time. After my humble version, "Mutanz," came out, Jerry Sadowitz described me as a "knob head" -- what better recommendation do you need?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 31st, 2012, 9:47 am

I thought the plot of 'turn one over and the rest turn over' was fun though went in a different direction for a climax to the trick using the deck.

Phil Pearce

Postby Phil Pearce » May 31st, 2012, 12:29 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:"Cascade" is one of the greatest card tricks of all time. After my humble version, "Mutanz," came out, Jerry Sadowitz described me as a "knob head" -- what better recommendation do you need?

I purchased your "Mutanz" a fortnight ago and it is a beauty. Sneaky, but beautiful.

Roald Dahl

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 31st, 2012, 3:04 pm

"Mutanz" changes Roy's handling and the ending, but my handling can be used with the original "Cascade" as well. I attempted to make the transitions smoother without the need for reordering the packet as the trick progressed.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 1st, 2012, 8:57 am

Bob, any feelings on taking one card to pocket face down (yeah you know) then taking one of the three in hand - turning it over - showing that all three in hand are now face up - then going back to your pocket to show that card has also reversed.

??

:D

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 1st, 2012, 1:23 pm

Jonathan, the strength of the routine is that you don't go to pockets, decks, etc., etc., that just confuses the impression.
The only place in the routine where I went "away" was the removal of the single card. I never used the faux Tent Vanish -- I used to remove the card and apparently place it in my sleeve so the audience could see it move down my sleeve and into the packet.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 1st, 2012, 1:39 pm

Bob, I bought a Mutanz routine+envelope set from you a few years ago. I was opening dialog on using the pocket as one phase in the routine openly without using the implied vanish/reappearance. The effect being an isolated/sympathetic "turnover in the pocket" instead. :)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 1st, 2012, 3:05 pm

Aha! If you'd told me you'd bought one of my tricks, I would have agreed with you immediately!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 1st, 2012, 3:09 pm

Bought your Deckronomicon and Bammo Monte as well. Fine items! :)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 1st, 2012, 5:38 pm

A man of excellent taste.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 7th, 2012, 5:12 am

Fantastic, we've got a spambot that quotes text from earlier in the thread. W00t - that's a new one...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 7th, 2012, 11:48 am

Ian, post removed, but it's not a spambot: we're protected against those. All the spam we get now is done manually by some poor bastards they pay 10 cents a day in India, China, or elsewhere.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » June 7th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:Fantastic, we've got a spambot that quotes text from earlier in the thread. W00t - that's a new one...

In addition to what Richard said, I have to say that that tactic is not new at all. Those of us who are cleaning up the spam have certainly seen it more than a few times in the last few years. :)

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 7th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Yeah, like 1000 times.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 7th, 2012, 4:53 pm

It only stuck out to me because he quoted my post...

Return to “Close-Up Magic”