Panic by Aaron Fisher

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Sketchomagic

Panic by Aaron Fisher

Postby Sketchomagic » March 14th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Just saw the guys on the WPR review this one. Looks really good, my only concern is that I can totally tell the 'whole' deck isn't there right before he makes the deck vanish into the the four kings. Am I alone on this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2m30DlKR8k

I still think the vanish itself looks fantastic, just walking up to that point seems a bit obvious to me.
Till the next time magic fiends...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Panic by Aaron Fisher

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 14th, 2012, 9:38 pm

The method used for this has been tried and tested over decades. You have to keep in mind that when you do magic live for real people, it has nothing to do with viewing a video.

"Panic" is a GREAT effect.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » March 14th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Richard is right. If you see this live it will absolutely floor you. You'll swear the deck is there until it appears to just vanish. It looks great. I've been doing this for a while now and it plays extremely well.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 15th, 2012, 10:15 am

1+

The other point I would make: if you are told ahead of time: "This is Panic, the vanishing deck" you'll be looking for the gaff just before the vanish so you might perceive something is being simulated (much like being told: "This is Asrah, a floating, vanishing lady").

In actual performance, you take out a deck of cards, spread it a bit, and BOOM!

FWIW, I think in general, effects that magically cause a deck's physical properties to change play much stronger after the deck has been in play for awhile; however, Panic is strong enough to stand on it's own IMHO.

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » March 19th, 2012, 5:59 am

Nothing wrong with giving this one the old college try. I think I'll pick up a copy and check it out. Thanks for the feed back and insight on this guys! Much appreciated!

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » March 20th, 2012, 12:21 pm

erdnasephile wrote:I think in general, effects that magically cause a deck's physical properties to change play much stronger after the deck has been in play for awhile

Great idea! This calls for a deck switch!
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » March 24th, 2012, 9:35 am

The handling on WPR is actually very poorly done. In the teaching video for Panic, Aaron Fisher spends a fairly decent amount of time on how to properly hold the cards in a manner that looks very much like the full deck vanishes. Where and how the cards are jeld prior to the vanish is one of the keys to this effect, and David Penn did not do it any justice at all.

Watch Aaron Fisher's demo for a better handling.

Jim

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » March 24th, 2012, 9:56 am

Aaron also has free tips on his Youtube channel. Panic Workshop - Perfecting the Vanish : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuHNjaiGT4I
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » April 10th, 2012, 7:23 am

Thank you Brandon, J-Mac, and Joe P. for all your insight, as always... very much appreciated! ....#RogerThat

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » April 25th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Just picked up my copy of PANIC finally! Gotta admit, soon as I looked at the gimmick, I knew it was special. And I've seen it performed so many times and still had no clue as to the secret... great work Aaron. Thank you!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2012, 4:39 pm

I saw someone else do a beautiful vanishing deck recently, but can't remember who it was, or if it was in Tokyo or San Diego at Magic-Con!

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 25th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I saw someone else do a beautiful vanishing deck recently, but can't remember who it was

Steve Valentine?

Btw, Richard; my provider's email server has crashed, so I don't know if you've tried to reach me. You'll have the text tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2012, 6:43 pm

I did see Steve Valentine in San Diego, and his handling of 3-Card Monte, which he sells, was terrific. Yes, Tom, I think you're right--he is the one who did the vanishing deck.

I have tried to reach you, Tom, glad to hear I'll have the text tomorrow. Thanks.

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » April 26th, 2012, 9:54 am

Steve Valentine is my favorite magician, or I guess former magician? Last time I saw Steve was at the Magic Castle early 2002. He told me was gonna focus full time on acting...but yes I too remember him performing a deck vanish, myself and my girl at the time where his volunteers! It was in the close-up room, and Steve had rolled up his sleeves and had me hold his wrists, the deck simply melted away, he was then left holding my selected card, which was the King of Clubs. I'll never forget it. Amazing.

Mr. Kaufman, what 3 card Monte does Steve sell? Is there a specific name? Thanks Mr. Stone for your feedback, as well!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 26th, 2012, 11:07 am

Steve sells his own Monte called "3" which is very good. It's long, but modular, and could be customized easily for length. It uses a gimmicked card that is a clever variation on an existing gimmick, but has no moving parts to wear out.

Here's a link to it at Magic Apple:
http://www.themagicapple.com/cgi-bin/we ... odid=15432

And a YouTube demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXHz0iDVnpA

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » April 26th, 2012, 12:43 pm

OUTSTANDING! I live literally down the street from the Apple! Will be scooping this one up for sure! Thanks again sir!

Sketchomagic

Postby Sketchomagic » April 27th, 2012, 9:03 am

RK - Just picked up 3, and I just wanted you to know that this effect is outright insane, and I mean that in the best way possible. I've watched Steve perform it on the DVD at least 4 different times, and it literally fries me every time, I had to stop before he explained the secret. Had to savor the magic, haven't even peeked at the gimmick...yet. Thanks for putting me on to this miracle!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”