Help: I have lost my memory

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Syd

Help: I have lost my memory

Postby Syd » April 25th, 2012, 12:45 pm

I was looking at this trick only a few weeks ago and I cannot remember the name of it!! Help. Very old effect. Card stand. Performer makes a prediction of two cards puts them in the stand with backs facing audience. Spectator picks two cards. They are put into the stand. Stand turned and prediction matches. What is the name of it?? I hate getting old.

Thanks,
Syd
Syd

luigimar

Re: Help: I have lost my memory

Postby luigimar » April 25th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Your question reminded me of an effect by Aldo Colombini, but I don't remember its name either! Could he be the creator of the effect you are talking about? The effect sounds the same!
luigimar

Syd

Postby Syd » April 25th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I think it is quite a bit older than Aldo. I mean - he is getting up there - but I think it outdates even him. He might have a version though.

Syd
Syd

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 25th, 2012, 5:21 pm

Sounds like Dr. Jaks Supersonic Card Prediction, or something like that using a stand, a couple of double face and double-back cards.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 25th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Paul Curry Touch (also published as Infallible Prediction in Greater Magic)/Uf Grant "Touch a Card" Prediction. Concurrent releases. Basic principle without use of stand and prediction is written on face of a card.

Morris Stein and RM Jamison took idea and instead of writing on cards, used blank cards on which to write the prediction. Stein's marketed as "Predicto".

Ultissimo - Maury Kain released through Merv Taylor. First use of the mechanical stand for key move.

Using double facers/backers and the stand is found in TA Waters Touche

Others have released versions including Marcello Contento called Time ahead (round spinning stand), Berg Duo Prediction Deck (have not confirmed this), and Sammy Smith's number card version with written prediction and stand called Radar vision.

Early concept credit: deland two card monte and hofsinzer.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » April 25th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Brad's recall is astounding. We are not worthy.

pixsmith

Postby pixsmith » April 25th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Morris Stein and RM Jamison took idea and instead of writing on cards, used blank cards on which to write the prediction. Stein's marketed as "Predicto".

And IIR, I think this particular incarnation of the trick caused quite a stir in the magic publications of the day, proving that Karr was probably right.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 25th, 2012, 7:52 pm

That's very kind Bob, but I must me honest. Recall led me down the first few steps of the path, the rest of the journey I was following breadcumbs left by those much smarter than I.

Syd

Postby Syd » April 25th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Thank you everyone. The one I was forgetting was Ultissimo but I have learned a great deal. Thanks Brad.

Syd
Syd

luigimar

Postby luigimar » April 26th, 2012, 8:45 am

The one I mentioned by Aldo is a regular stand, the (jumbo) prediction cards on the stand are gimmicked (well one of them), two (regular) cards selected by spectators are put on the stand and there is a switch done with the (jumbo) cards on the stand. The switch is a thing of beauty. I made one for myself and had forgotten about it. I'll have to look for it. Thanks Syd for reminding me...
luigimar

Syd

Postby Syd » April 26th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Luigimar,

If you find it, I would love to see a picture of it!

Syd
Syd

Dowser

Postby Dowser » April 30th, 2012, 12:24 am

There is an interesting version in the Stewart James books.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”