Ripped & Fryed - source?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Ripped & Fryed - source?

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 18th, 2012, 3:07 pm

There is no right or wrong where art is concerned.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 18th, 2012, 3:08 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:? you asked about your cover. I followed up on the theme from the TED talk.

Funny us having this chat here seeing as how we've been discussing items inside that book off and on almost since you announced the project. If the refolding swindle is already in the book - great - if not I'll get it working on its own schedule and try it out when circumstances permit.

Looking forward to enjoying your book when it comes out

J

Jonathan email me direct as i have no idea what you are talking about, LOL!

jeffpiercemagic@aol.com

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 18th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:There is no right or wrong where art is concerned.

But if you don't like it it must be wrong in your eyes.

Jeff

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 18th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:One: Art doesn't have to make sense.

Two: I have an interest in the book and the cover has no meaning to me.

Is it important that the cover has some special meaning to you? Is having "Card Warp" in the title not explanatory enough?

If I used your criteria (i.e. the cover must have meaning to me), I'd probably have to discard half the books on my shelf. What's the deep meaning of (for instance) of Sankey Pankey (a very good book)? I'm a fan of your work and have many of Kaufman penned books on my shelf, but I can't say that I get any special meaning or "classiness" from each and every single one of them. And that's OK with me, because the material is generally excellent.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 18th, 2012, 3:24 pm

The cover of Sankey Pankey has no meaning at all. It's abstract, created with a Colorforms set put out by the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Often my covers were prepared at the last minute when the rest of the book was done and I was rushing to go to press.

When I say that the cover of the Card Warp book has no meaning to me, I say that in the sense that it is obviously not a piece of art, but a selling point, and since I don't go to sporting events or concerts, I have no point of reference for a bunch of people holding cigarette lighters in the air. And that doesn't seem to have any connection to a book about Card Warp from my point of view.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 18th, 2012, 3:39 pm

I get what you're saying Richard, but I'm pretty confident that having the word "Cardwarp" so prominently in the title, would quite clearly convey a pretty strong idea of the contents to potential buyers of this book even if they didn't get the added subtext ("tour").

As someone with a lot of experience publishing, I'm interested in how you would have marketed this book. For instance, what constitutes a "classy" title? I really like the punny/clever title "Secrets Draun from the Underground" and wonder how Jeff's title "The Card Warp Tour" is any less clear than that.

What kind of cover/title is "correct" for a book like this?

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » April 18th, 2012, 3:42 pm

[img:left]http://www.hachettebookgroup.com/_images/ISBNCovers/Covers_Enlarged/9780316074230_388X586.jpg[/img]

I saw this book a while back and it caught my eye because of the interesting use of the playing card. Just throwing it out there. The image below is a close-up of the playing card used.

[img:left]http://media.avclub.com/images/articles/article/54901/PALE-KING_M_jpg_627x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg[/img]

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 18th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote: I deleted Goat's Glenn Bishop comment because it needlessly weakened his argument. His comments are valid, no matter how offensively he sometimes makes them.

It was just another sad attempt at the goat trying to be funny and amusing at someone elses expense. (My Opinion).

Jeff Pierce Magic wrote:
I thank everyone for their comments, including Richard and Mr. Goat but that does not mean you are right.

Jeff Pierce

Good luck on your book Jeff here is my opinion - take advice or not - however make and package your book the way you want and in the way that your skills, resources (funds) can get the job done. I feel that in magic if there is good stuff in it - I think word will get around and I hope your venture brings you success!

I have always thought that there are two kinds of book publishing in magic - books for collectors and books for "workers"...

Good luck.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 18th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Thank you Glenn, good advise, I think I'll take it if it's alright with Mr. Goat. My last book was for collectors so I think I'll go the other way this time.

Jeff

Ross Welford

Postby Ross Welford » April 18th, 2012, 5:59 pm

In case anyone was wondering ("unhip" me included) this is what Jeff's cover is referencing:

http://vanswarpedtouruk.com/

luigimar

Postby luigimar » April 18th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Remember the old saying: don't judge a book by its cover...
luigimar

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » April 18th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Re: commercially challenged magic book covers, let alone magic book titles ...

[img:center]http://www.dixonmagic.com/page2/files/-everything_is_funnier_with_monkeys_cover.jpg[/img]

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 19th, 2012, 1:50 am

Just thinking out loud...but for the cover of a book on Card Warp, I would've played on the nature of the effect, and come up with something that recalled old science fiction books. The ones with a sparse, modernistic feel. The card going through a portal in space or something similar.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 19th, 2012, 10:15 am

Chris Aguilar wrote:Your "expert" opinion doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the cover design.

I'm really "pleased" about that.

Chris Aguilar wrote: It's tough to take your "constructive" criticism seriously when you insist upon imparting it in the most unnecessarily rude fashion

Ignore it then. It's not written for you, nor does it concern you in "any" way at all.

Chris Aguilar wrote:I wasn't aware that simply opining that I like something required justification of that opinion to the satisfaction of Damian (Goat) Jennings.

Who said it does? Just that "nice" is such an pointless word, and to preface it with "quite" seems like you are damning it with faint praise.

Chris Aguilar wrote:I think that most of the designs you linked to are pretty ugly.

I would would "defend" to the death your right to think those classic covers are ugly.

Art is subjective after all.

Chris Aguilar wrote: I certainly hope that Jeff doesn't go in that direction.

"Good."

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 10:41 am

Ah, the expected (and tiresome) "point by point" snark dump from Damian (Goat) Jennings.

I'm in no way "damning with faint praise" Jeff's efforts. I enjoy the cover, find it esthetically pleasing, etc without reservation. Hope that clears it up for you.

By the way, you misquote me in your last post. I never said

I would would "defend" to the death your right to think those classic covers are ugly.

Art is subjective after all.

I'm guessing that in your haste to be "right on the internet" via the "point by bloody point" method, you likely had an internet posting failure.

@ Jeff Pierce

Good work on the cover, and I expect the contents will be of the same high quality. I look forward to the finished product.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 19th, 2012, 10:45 am

Anyone want to discuss the contents of that TED talk as it applies to Jeff's book cover?

The card warp plot may have some practical life left even with the extensive online exposure of the basic method... maybe starting with business cards and an out to lunch boost to get the trick started.

The Britland/Frye restore is impressive. Kudos to all involved in getting that item the recognition it deserves.

Okay, gonna ask - has anyone found the item workable and worth performing using a borrowed dollar bill?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 11:20 am

Oh, and Damian/Goat, one more thing.

I'm sure there will be some snide reply to my last post (as you obviously cannot help yourself.)

Please be aware that I won't be able to enjoy your doubtless witty rejoinder as I've added you to my forums "ignore list".

I never felt the need for that in the past as (not unlike the blind squirrel who occasionally finds a nut) you sometimes had something interesting to say. These days all I'm seeing is snark, nastiness, and point by point post bombing of any subjective opinion contrary to your own.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 11:25 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Anyone want to discuss the contents of that TED talk as it applies to Jeff's book cover?

The card warp plot may have some practical life left even with the extensive online exposure of the basic method... maybe starting with business cards and an out to lunch boost to get the trick started.

The Britland/Frye restore is impressive. Kudos to all involved in getting that item the recognition it deserves.

Okay, gonna ask - has anyone found the item workable and worth performing using a borrowed dollar bill?

Jon,

Wouldn't you agree that using something like Cervon's off center tear (which leads to the card ending up in three pieces) might mitigate some of the online exposure of the basic method?

And in terms of a "borrowed bill", since the bill isn't gaffed at all, why wouldn't it be workable that way?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 19th, 2012, 11:42 am

IMHO the slight improvements to be had using a flap card gaff or simply moving the tear a few millimeters are not going to throw off an informed lay audience. They think they know what's there inside the tunnel card and they are right, even if not exactly on center or simply.

have you tried the Brtland/Frye torn and restored item using a borrowed bill? IE you tear and restore their bill using a bill of your own as the tunnel/cover.

Since playing with Giles's Contortionist...since this is public I'll leave it at being a more robust approach with more dramatic options available that is consistent with your line of thinking about the Cervon alteration of the method to be more deceptive ;)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 11:50 am

Hey Jon,

One other plus in the Cervon column is the additional conviction one receives by the way his routine allows the bill to be opened at various times showing that the card truly is (along the whole length) turned inside out. You just don't get that with versions that use only two cards.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » April 19th, 2012, 11:50 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Anyone want to discuss the contents of that TED talk as it applies to Jeff's book cover?

For me a book cover is very much like the aesthetics of choosing a title, in the end, its entirely the authors imperative. It should be a fun and creative process. And it appears that Jeff enjoyed putting in the time and work in putting the various inspirational pieces of the cover together. Im not sure if he is affiliated with Penguin Magic, but the cover has that feel to it, and perhaps that may very well be one of his target audiences to pitch the product to, so a sense of uniformity may have been taken into Jeff's aesthetic choices (I donno). When I was in school, one of my favorite parts in writing an essay was putting in the title to the work. Its a fun process and a time to be creative and play and have fun. The key is to have fun and that feeling will translate and be conveyed into anything you do. Jeffs work conveys that feeling for me with the colors and graphics chosen. It makes me want to turn the page and start the tour. Thats the feeling I get.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 19th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:Hey Jon,

One other plus in the Cervon column is the additional conviction one receives by the way his routine allows the bill to be opened at various times showing that the card truly is (along the whole length) turned inside out. You just don't get that with versions that use only two cards.

On page 77 of Ultra Cervon the display is credited to McAllister.

I like the displays - even though such seems to legitimize the middle while leaving the introduction and finale orphaned.

Any thoughts on the two bill approach to Britland/Frye's item?

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » April 19th, 2012, 12:26 pm

Have you read Hyper-Warp in Enchantments?
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Jim Maloney wrote:

No, but I'm aware that it has a very interesting ending (hypercard I believe). Are the shows similar to the cervon convincers (i.e. use of the folded bill to give a clean view of the card in the bill)? Aside from the neat ending, how does it differ (effect wise) from the other variants out there?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:

On page 77 of Ultra Cervon the display is credited to McAllister.

I like the displays - even though such seems to legitimize the middle while leaving the introduction and finale orphaned.

Any thoughts on the two bill approach to Britland/Frye's item?

Ah, right, the display comes from "Richards Almanac" (McAlister's Green warp).

Not familar with the frye/britland thing at all.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 19th, 2012, 12:36 pm

I published Bob McCallister's original Card Warp with Bill, and the display showing the entire card when you open the bill is in it, as noted by Jon.

You may be thinking of a slightly different display that Howie Schwarzman used when he published his handling with a bill in Apocalypse, jumping the gun on McCallister who had not published his yet.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 19th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Jonathan, I thought the TED talk was very informative and enjoyed it. I don't think my cover is to far off from his suggestions. I think it conveys the essence of the Warped Tour/concert feel while incorporating the effect. I could not be more happier although there will always be some who don't get it, but that's OK.

The Frye effect is great and totally fooled me the first time I saw it. Charlie uses it as a follow up to Cardwarp, but I thought it should come first, that's how I would do it.

I'm not sure how it would play with dollars, would be interested in seeing that.

Jeff Pierce

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 19th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Jim Maloney wrote:

Or Tom Frames Son of Hyper-warp from the Hypercard Project (will be in the book)

Jeff

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 19th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Btw let me correct an error that pops up when there are discussions of Cardwarp. It is written in the original manuscript as Cardwarp, one word, not Card Warp.

Jeff Pierce

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 19th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Edward Pungot wrote:

For me a book cover is very much like the aesthetics of choosing a title, in the end, its entirely the authors imperative. It should be a fun and creative process. And it appears that Jeff enjoyed putting in the time and work in putting the various inspirational pieces of the cover together. Im not sure if he is affiliated with Penguin Magic, but the cover has that feel to it, and perhaps that may very well be one of his target audiences to pitch the product to, so a sense of uniformity may have been taken into Jeff's aesthetic choices (I donno). When I was in school, one of my favorite parts in writing an essay was putting in the title to the work. Its a fun process and a time to be creative and play and have fun. The key is to have fun and that feeling will translate and be conveyed into anything you do. Jeffs work conveys that feeling for me with the colors and graphics chosen. It makes me want to turn the page and start the tour. Thats the feeling I get.

Edward, not affiliated with Penguin at all, I'm 53 years old, much to old for them, LOL! I won't deny that they are the buying crowd though.

Thank you
Jeff Pierce

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 19th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I published Bob McCallister's original Card Warp with Bill, and the display showing the entire card when you open the bill is in it, as noted by Jon.

You may be thinking of a slightly different display that Howie Schwarzman used when he published his handling with a bill in Apocalypse, jumping the gun on McCallister who had not published his yet.

Greenwarp is by far the best and simplest of the card and bill versions. I learned from that routine and expanded from there, the same as Starwarp and Cervon's Warp II.

Jeff Pierce

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » April 19th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:

Jon,

Wouldn't you agree that using something like Cervon's off center tear (which leads to the card ending up in three pieces) might mitigate some of the online exposure of the basic method?

And in terms of a "borrowed bill", since the bill isn't gaffed at all, why wouldn't it be workable that way?

Chris, I think the off center tear allows for a more convincing display as the card passes midpoint and continues to turn inside out. In my routine I use this to my advantage as I ask them to call stop as I push the card through and rip the card at the point they call stop, forcing the small end of the gaff.

Jeff

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Agreed about the off center tear. It does make for more convincing displays and could conceivably fool someone who knows the stock version.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » April 19th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:Have you read Hyper-Warp in Enchantments?

No, but I'm aware that it has a very interesting ending (hypercard I believe). Are the shows similar to the cervon convincers (i.e. use of the folded bill to give a clean view of the card in the bill)? Aside from the neat ending, how does it differ (effect wise) from the other variants out there? [/quote]

I'm not familiar with the displays in the Cervon routine, but Wes's handling (using two cards) has you open up the outer card to show that the inner card is fully reversed. This happens twice, I believe (once in each direction).
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 19th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:Oh, and Damian/Goat, one more thing.

I'm sure there will be some snide reply to my last post (as you obviously cannot help yourself.)

Please be aware that I won't be able to enjoy your doubtless witty rejoinder as I've added you to my forums "ignore list".

I never felt the need for that in the past as (not unlike the blind squirrel who occasionally finds a nut) you sometimes had something interesting to say. These days all I'm seeing is snark, nastiness, and point by point post bombing of any subjective opinion contrary to your own.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 19th, 2012, 1:17 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:By the way, you misquote me in your last post. I never said

You said "I think that most of the designs you linked to are pretty ugly."

Are you having a senior moment?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Jim Maloney wrote:I'm not familiar with the displays in the Cervon routine, but Wes's handling (using two cards) has you open up the outer card to show that the inner card is fully reversed. This happens twice, I believe (once in each direction).

Interesting. Is the write up only available in the his large book? The Cervon (actually McAlister) display uses the way the bill is folded to hide the flap, which allows the clean view (bill opened showing length of card.) It's very convincing. Does WJ use a third card (or perhaps a slit in the cover card) to achieve a similar view? Seems like some reasonable solutions if he has gone that way.

And does the "impossible object" ending lend itself to exposure if the spectator disassembles the card after they take it home with them?

@ Jeff Pierce.
After watching the demo of "ripped and fryed", I'm really intrigued to see how that will apply to card warp.

Have you published a list of effects that will be included in the new book yet? Or is that still in flux?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 19th, 2012, 2:06 pm

@Chris, the display strategies are different. IMHO the hypercard is so strange looking that even if unstapled and unwound it would not explain the rest of the trick. Again, IMHO the moment you open up the cards at the end takes care fo that idea for them.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 19th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:@Chris, the display strategies are different. IMHO the hypercard is so strange looking that even if unstapled and unwound it would not explain the rest of the trick. Again, IMHO the moment you open up the cards at the end takes care fo that idea for them.

Ah, I see. How does WJ justify the oddity at the end? I doubt I'd purchase his whole book just for that one routine, but it certainly does sound intriguing.

I wonder if the "son of hypercard" (which uses a gaff and I believe is a variant of the WJ routine) is similarly immune to being unwound after the fact (via the spectator owning the gaffed card).

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 19th, 2012, 2:15 pm

WJ's routine comes complete with his scripting for the trick. As do most other items in his book.

Have you seen Giles's Contortionist? That's the one that got me interested in the Card Warp plot again.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”