Soldier's Deck of Cards

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Richard Hatch

Soldier's Deck of Cards

Postby Richard Hatch » March 13th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Don't recall seeing this link posted here yet. Looks like this is going viral with almost a million views. The ending caught me by surprise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGPKpIuX3cY

Bob Farmer

Re: Soldier's Deck of Cards

Postby Bob Farmer » March 13th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Wink Martindale had a hit with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq7npHBPgHk

And it's in the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.

I'm working on the Satanic version:

"... and when I see the nine of spades, it reminds me of the nine circles of Hell ...."

AJM

Postby AJM » March 13th, 2012, 6:10 pm

Max Bygraves had a hit with this in the UK.

I was thinking of working up a Genii Forum version: -

"...and when I see the ten, I think of the 10 thousand different usernames that have been used by Lark Mewis....
....and when I see the Ace, I think of the single post it usually takes before everyone has figured out it's him....'

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » March 13th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Richard Hatch wrote:Don't recall seeing this link posted here yet. Looks like this is going viral with almost a million views. The ending caught me by surprise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGPKpIuX3cY

The ending is a variation on his Cardistry effect which he showed at The Session convention this year.

As for the video, it was so cheesy it could be put in a sandwich and I'd eat it all up.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 14th, 2012, 8:16 am

Close up magic set up to deliver a message using a backup band.

Pretty much sets up the market to use the item for Gospel Magic or polemics, depending.

Print a few product cards... then
<<Insert photo of your brand logo here>> for the finish.

Ivanovich

Postby Ivanovich » March 14th, 2012, 8:29 am

Makes me miss Bob Read all over again...

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » March 14th, 2012, 9:32 am

"Pekoral" is a very useful Swedish word. Don't know if there's a counterpart in English.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pekoral

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 14th, 2012, 11:19 am

Tom Stone wrote:"Pekoral" is a very useful Swedish word. Don't know if there's a counterpart in English.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pekoral

BS - a byproduct of cattle?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 14th, 2012, 3:31 pm

I suppose everyone is welcome to presume what is in this young mans mind and heart. But there is another possibility: That he is sincere in his beliefs.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » March 14th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:I'm working on the Satanic version:

"... and when I see the nine of spades, it reminds me of the nine circles of Hell ...."

I do a cutting to the aces routine where I lead-in with a quick recitation of the Soldier's Prayer book. However, when they cut the deck into three piles, they get 666. I cross myself and run. (I think this is a Steve Bryant idea from his book Little book of Numbers)

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » March 14th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Sorry for the polemics folks. My shadow wanted to irreverently come out and play this morning. Shant happen again. Remember, Im a vegan, I couldnt even harm a fly.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 14th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:I suppose everyone is welcome to presume what is in this young mans mind and heart. But there is another possibility: That he is sincere in his beliefs.

Regardless of his beliefs, he has achieved something truly remarkable. By taking two simple ideas, one old and one new (his own), he has blended them together and regardless how cheesy, the ending does touch a nerve. And the truly remarkable thing is that within a few days he has achieved well over a million views.

I suspect this will be picked up by network TV and I hope he has figured out how to capitalize on the publicity.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 14th, 2012, 5:15 pm

The young man is appealing to one and a half things that we don't discuss here, politics (patriotism included) and persuasion. That's his choice. I'm not going there.

I leave the matter with the DIY kit where you apply the basic script plus music to this recent card trick as a pander/persuade for <<insert product here>>. Rhetoric. I come to praise it.

Is the kit available online yet?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » March 14th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:But there is another possibility: That he is sincere in his beliefs.

That's one of the essential key elements in a "pekoral" (pek&#650;&#712;r&#593;&#720;l):
...work characterized by the unintended comical effect arising from the contrast between the author's naive banality and his sincere but failed efforts to mimic a solemn, ceremonial or formal style.

Edit: Is there a reason that this page is using "charset=iso-8859-1" instead of "charset=utf-8" ?
Last edited by Tom Stone on March 14th, 2012, 6:05 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Why not use utf-8?

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » March 15th, 2012, 8:32 am

The almanac and prayer-book alibi, in conjunction with a deck of cards goes back further to at least the 18th century. English Conjurer Charles Bertram provides a facsimile of a pamphlet, giving an account of the story in his book Isnt It Wonderful, published in London in 1899.

Bertram prefaces the broadside pamphlet to his readers in this way:

Mention may be made of a curious explanation given by a servant to his master, when suspected of indulging in the pernicious vice of gambling, and who upon being interrogated, explained the novel use he made of a pack off cards which was found in his possession. I have taken the account from a very old publication, and will better explain the ingenious interpretation placed upon the values of the cards by the artful servant, I have presented to my readers, a facsimile reproduction of the original pamphlet, and trust it will prove interest (Bertram 170-171).

http://www.thefourthhand.net/pernicious-vice-vindicated.html

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » March 15th, 2012, 9:05 am

CORRECTION [the lad does indeed give reference to the date and a version of the pamphlet in question ]

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » March 15th, 2012, 9:25 am

Lots of other versions also listed on MagicPedia: http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Soldier%27s_Prayer_Book
Last edited by Joe Pecore on March 15th, 2012, 9:26 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: make link
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Return to “Link Watch”