Questions about Berglas Effect

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Ilya

Questions about Berglas Effect

Postby Ilya » February 19th, 2012, 10:22 am

(Sorry, I do not speak very well in English)
Hello, my name is Ilya. I am a magician from Russia. Favourite type of magic is mentalism. My favorite trick - the Berglas effect. I looked and read all that just is publicly available about this effect, and book Berglas Effects, too.I'm not going to ask you to reveal his secret, I just want to ask some questions to you, as persons who knows the secret of Berglas effect(Marc Paul) and seen it(Richard Kaufman)(you only 2 people who can help me, I do not know e-mail of maestro David and I do not think that he often comes to the Internet).I sincerely hope that at least you would help me a little bit closer to unraveling the secret.
Last edited by Ilya on February 19th, 2012, 11:47 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Removed Method

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Questions about Berglas Effect

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 19th, 2012, 11:50 am

I've deleted part of your message because I don't want the actual handling posted here.

You only have to memorize ONE stack in order to perform the trick. I'm not sure why you have the idea that you need to use more than one stacked deck.

I'm afraid your reading comprehension of English isn't as good as it might be, because your other questions are all answered quite clearly in the text of the book.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 19th, 2012, 2:26 pm

>>>Thank you Richard,but can you advise me any other information that can help me to understand secret of Berglas effect,because nothing substantial and NEW(begins from your great book) in this subject I can not find <<<

I made a suggestion about a lot of stacks in the first place because David knows a few stacks, it means that he needs it, and secondly - because I do not understand how can one card at one position in one stack can to became at any number, whether first or last(52)card.
Technical skills of the illusionist(like cut's,counts and other) is not working because a magician does not touch the deck. A part of the conversation is "name any card," "name any number (even if there will be a force of GAP (1-10 numbers), but to force exact 1 number is impossible)" and the effect occurs. It's inexplicable.

I memorized stack in this book from 1 to 54 and now i work hard to memorized position of each card from the bottom.But I don't understand, how it help me,because i will be able to produce one card at only 4-8 positions,but not at ANY number.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 19th, 2012, 2:49 pm

All I can tell you is that you need to read the ENTIRE book from front to back several times. Every question you ask is answered in the book.

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 19th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Thanks =)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 19th, 2012, 3:19 pm

I will tell you this: you need to know the number at which each card lies from top to bottom, bottom to top, and both ways (up and down) from the bridge at the center. That will give you a range of about 14 numbers that can reach a named card.

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 19th, 2012, 11:01 pm

14 of 52 =)))))))))))))))))))))

Simone M

Postby Simone M » February 20th, 2012, 7:31 am

Ilya wrote:14 of 52 =)))))))))))))))))))))

Ilya,
you probably have missed the whole chapter where it is explained what to do the remaining 38 times out of 52 (page 117 to 138).
Read the book then watch the second DVD and it'll make sense.

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 20th, 2012, 7:40 am

Thank you Simone =3
but from 117 to 138 magician is touch the deck,i want hands off)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 20th, 2012, 4:24 pm

This is a typical comment from someone who has a totally unrealistic view of the effect, and also doesn't understand what is explained in the book.

If you want hands off, then you need to find a self-working effect. It's not going to be The Berglas Effect.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » February 20th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Watch Berglas again. He touches the cards, hands them to people, and states things like "I don't want to touch the cards at all. You hold them." And people just remember that they held the cards and Berglas didn't touch them. And since he isn't a Jedi master, regular people can do it too. But it sure isn't for the faint of heart or mind.

Simone M

Postby Simone M » February 21st, 2012, 6:15 am

Smurf wrote:Watch Berglas again. He touches the cards, hands them to people, and states things like "I don't want to touch the cards at all. You hold them." And people just remember that they held the cards and Berglas didn't touch them. And since he isn't a Jedi master, regular people can do it too. But it sure isn't for the faint of heart or mind.

...then you watch again and again and notice he did Any Card at Any Number (or whatever) with a borrowed deck, having the card and the number being named before he had looked at the pack (DVD2), or he has the deck shuffled and after no more than 20 seconds he asks for a card and a number (and pulls out a basically hands-off ACAAN -- DVD3), and you realize that if there's someone Jedi-esque in our field it's him.

Seeing how agilely his mind works and what kind of risks he takes is inspiring.

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 21st, 2012, 7:48 am

Richard,are you want to say,that David TOUCHS the deck?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 21st, 2012, 9:50 am

Ilya wrote:Richard,are you want to say,that David TOUCHS the deck?

What's not written/discussed here is the process by which one can acquire the skills needed to do what will not be noticed while being watched. Implantation of brass orbs would only misdirect a metal detector.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 21st, 2012, 10:00 am

Yes, of course David sometimes touches the deck. One of the main points in the book is that it's the presentation which is most important, and people don't remember that he has touched the deck. I know that this is true from first-hand experience, from having David perform effects for me and also from watching him perform for others.

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 21st, 2012, 10:41 am

And how you,magician,don't observe that David touched the deck in first time demonstration of Berglas Effect 1 on 1 to you?
You have to be a hypnotist to make sure that the whole audience will not notice the mixing of deck.If David can do that,it is a genius.

Given the end of the world in 2012 David need to think about production video about Beglas Effect.My dream is seen Berglas effect live =).It is my favourite magic-concept.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 21st, 2012, 10:55 am

I'm sorry to say that you haven't read the book, which explains why people don't see and/or remember David adjusting the deck. The misdirection is explained quite clearly.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 21st, 2012, 11:20 am

Ilya,

You are looking for a version of Any Card at Any Number in which the magician does not touch the deck.

This is the wrong goal. What you should be looking for is a version of Any Card at Any Number in which the spectators will remember that the magician did not touch the deck.

This is what matters. And to achieve it, you do not need a method of Any Card at Any Number in which the magician does not touch the deck.

If all you are looking at is whether the magician really does touch the deck or not, you will be unable to see what you really want, which is the psychological techniques used to make the spectators remember things differently than they happened.

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 21st, 2012, 11:45 am

Thank you Pete.
So the whole thing in memory of viewer. And I had to believe in miracles and I thought that David really can not touch the deck and change card positions . Thank you =)

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 23rd, 2012, 9:15 am

Reflecting on psycho misdirection I did not understand some things. With a large audience, principle is clear. It is in memory.
1) How did 2 Berglas effect on the video Mark Paul? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdXIVQ-&#1072;&#1089;&#1082;&#1091;
In one case it was on TV in the other - cards lay on the table and throughout the video we can see them. Mark does not touch the cards. Card at the number without any manipulation.
2) There is a question about installing a video Berglas effect on EMC by Lu Chen. I have two explanations - either something happened behind the camera or it force card and number on roses. Psychological misdirection on a chair behind a rope does not work.
3) In all the stories of Berglas effect David did not touch the cards. In one of these he give cards to the viewer(The Mentalist who did not believe) before in his hands and asked to name the card\number and the top \ bottom. Then he cried out that this can not be, because the cards was in his hands. Card at the number. In other story cards were in the hands of the statue of the Buddha and the viewer was asked to take the card and see. In the other story cards were in the car, etc. etc. Are all these people really do not remember that David touched the deck after they called the card and number?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 23rd, 2012, 10:32 am

I'm sorry, but with the types of questions you're asking, I don't believe you even have my book. If you did, you wouldn't be asking questions like this, which are clearly answered in the book!

I don't know how Marc Paul does his version of "The Berglas Effect," but he does sell it. It's called "Affected by Berglas."

I have no idea how Liu Chien does his version of "The Berglas Effect" and have not seen it.

Ilya

Postby Ilya » February 23rd, 2012, 11:27 am

Affected by Berglas is "Seen in fan Card at any number",it is another effect.On the video is Berglas Effect

Lu Chen Effect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDXncZmYGwU
David seen this and say to Lu Chen don't reveal the secret =)

There is some distinction =)
Up - your book
down - forum
http://rghost.ru/36672607/image.png

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”