Wayne Dobson has been manipulated

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Devious

Wayne Dobson has been manipulated

Postby Devious » February 4th, 2012, 11:31 am

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Wayne Dobson has been manipulated

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 5th, 2012, 2:48 am

Yikes! Here's Wayne's message in case it gets taken down over there (and I don't think he'd mind having it spread around anyway):

This is Wayne Dobson and this is my Magiccafe account.

Wayne Dobson - A Statement about David Penn's actions

It is now Friday evening on the 3 rd February 2012 and I find myself writing one of the hardest notes of my life. I need to break everything down into a timeline of events, so that you, the reader can make sense of what has happened.

Last week (Tuesday 24 th January) I was contacted by David Penn regarding a review he was about to do for his Wizard Product Review that week. He informed me that Jeff Mc Bride had stolen my act and put the entire routine onto a DVD that he was marketing. I voiced my dismay and couldnt believe what I was hearing. No, it was true and they were going to expose the fact on the following days Wizard Product Review, David Penn told me.

The following day (Wednesday 25 th January), I watched in horror as David Penn and Craig Petty tore Jeff to pieces in front of their audience of thousands. Watching them made me feel extremely uncomfortable and sorry for Jeff Mc Bride. That night, one of my best friends, Russ Stevens, contacted Jeff and suggested that he and I should talk. Ive known Jeff for so many years and once we started to communicate via Skype I knew that wed be able to sort the issues out that I had (Remember I had yet to see Jeffs routine).

During the following two days (26 th -27 th January) we went back and forth as my concern was for Russ Merlin in Vegas who had purchased the rights to the routine from me. Jeff contacted Russ Merlin and all was well with him and I told Jeff he could feature his routine during his lectures at magic conventions worldwide if he liked. Throughout this period David Penn had been calling and emailing still making a song and dance about Jeffs theft of my routine.

Then on the Saturday (29th January) things changed. Throughout the entire process David Penn had insisted Jeff was a thief and I stupidly took his word for it. Hed told me the routines were the same and that Jeff hadnt even credited me. This was untrue on both counts as I was about to find out. It was that morning that Jeff emailed me the link to his footage that was on Youtube. I clicked on the link and sat in disbelief as I watched Jeffs routine, it was nothing like mine and I was shocked as to why David Penn had said it was. I called David Penn and asked him to take the Wizard Product Review down on that basis and that basis alone. It had nothing to do with the fact that the matter had been settled as portrayed by David Penn.

The following few days were spent talking to Jeff and smoothing things over and Im so happy that we are still such good friends. Jeff was understandably upset to be called a thief in public and I was angry about the way David Penn had sensationalised the facts to make an interesting piece for his show.

On Tuesday the 31 st January things moved into a whole new direction however and the day ended with a revelation that shocked me beyond words. David Penn now wanted me to make a statement on Magiccafe to let readers know what a great help David had played in the resolution of the situation. This was not true, I had Russ Stevens and Jeff Mc Bride to thank for that.

David Penn had asked me to write the message and then to send it to him for his approval. My email to David Penn even started with let me know how you would like this, editing . David Penn then chose to edit out some of what I had written, to make things sound even better than they already were for him. The revised draft was then sent back to me ready to post. At this point I said I wasnt happy with what David Penn had changed and told him that Id have to run it past my friends. David Penn was not happy and that is when things reached an all time low. He told me that he, David Penn, had recorded all our telephone conversations without my knowledge from the beginning and if necessary would use them. I couldnt believe it. At that point I felt coerced, threatened and bullied to the point that I would do and say anything David Penn told me to.

Thankfully I posted the response to my friend Russ Stevens who couldnt believe what Id written. He knew that it contradicted my actual feelings and events between Jeff and myself and asked me what had happened? Fortunately I found the courage to tell Russ what had happened and it was at that point that for me The Worm Turned. I realised that I must stand up to David Penns bullying tactics and so I revised the draft myself which Russ typed out for me (as I cant type myself). Finally the truth would be known and I didnt care what David Penn said or did to me. It gave me an overwhelming sense of freedom and relief.

I then received my last email from David Penn that night in which he expressed his disappointment to what Id posted on Magiccafe. Hed prove that he had all the facts and timelines. The point hes missing is that up until that Saturday morning, I didnt have the actual facts until I saw the performance footage of Jeffs. Any interactions Id had with David Penn meant nothing, as I was not being told the truth about the situation. It was just David Penns version, which was incorrect and sensationalist.

Last night in a thread on Magiccafe, a person, Merc Man (Barry Allen), announced he had seen and heard my emails and secretly recorded conversations. I dont know if this was true, but he certainly had someone feeding the information to him.

It makes me feel ill to imagine someone secretly recording my private telephone conversations, then spreading them around. To have it done by a fellow magician hurts even more. In all of this, I was the innocent party, but at the end of it Ive had to come here and defend myself like this and that cant be right.

I think David Penn should be ashamed and I hope that our community takes the correct action to show that this type of behaviour is unacceptable. I hope the magiccafe and its members show their displeasure in ways that will make him realise that intimidation, coercion and bullying are not acceptable in our world.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ian Keable

Postby Ian Keable » February 5th, 2012, 2:46 pm

I saw the original clip by David Penn & Craig Petty on their Wizard Product Review - and now have had the chance to view the Jeff McBride routine which has caused the controversy (Youtube footage. It comes in about half way through this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNY4Eho9_1A )

I'm certainly not taking any sides in this but there are a couple of things which I think are beyond dispute:

1. David and Craig shouldn't have spoken out before they had fully consulted Wayne and let him see the piece for himself.

2. There is undoubtedly an influence of Wayne's own routine in Jeff's routine (squeaky and deep voices for example; and also the fact that the man 'calls himself' Susan, which is the name that Wayne always used); so I can see why David and Craig took the view they did.

At the end of the day, though, if Wayne is quite happy with what Jeff has done, the matter should end there.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » February 5th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Here is Wayne Dobson's presentation, in case someone has never seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAWi15MAOmo#t=239s
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Devious

Postby Devious » February 6th, 2012, 1:11 pm

Wayne's latest statement,

Last Tuesday, one of us (Russ Stevens) spoke to Wayne Dobson via Skype and before him sat a fragile man, frightened and in tears. This wasnt because of a magic trick or routine, but because hed just been threatened by David Penn and his secretly recorded telephone messages.

This was no longer about magic tricks. This was about threatening behaviour and outright bullying that in normal circumstances is reprehensible, but to instigate this on a severely disabled man is beyond words. Fortunately, Wayne is physically disabled, not mentally and he chose to fight back and speak the truth. This he put up in his statement at the start of this thread.

Why would we possibly want to mediate with David Penn and Craig Petty (World Magic Shop)?

The day David Penn made that call was a day that we fear he will live to regret. As has been mentioned already on here, this is not the first time he has used these tactics and we are aware of many other people ready to tell their own stories. We all have Wayne to thank for giving them the courage to do so.

On another note, we are also aware of people on here stating that they have heard the recordings. which have been passed on to them. If so, this is illegal and we believe that David Penn has broken the law if this is the case. We look forward to hearing from Barry Allen (Merc Man) and others that confirmed this in earlier posts from deleted threads.

Magiccafe will be closing this thread down very soon (by their own choice) and CRAIG PETTY & DAVID PENNS WIZARD PRODUCT REVIEW will be wiped from the magicafe boards. We know of similar actions being planned by others, which we are sure you will find out about in due course.

We would like to thank Magiccafe for allowing the thread to run so that Wayne could tell you all the truth and would like to thank members for keeping it mostly civil.

There will be no mediation and that is a unanimous joint decision by us all. We trust you will make your on informed decisions on the matter.

Wayne Dobson, Jeff McBride & Russ Stevens 6th February 2012

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » February 6th, 2012, 11:05 pm

It appears we were all saved by Steve Brooks.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/pm_v ... _id=626457

Or not . . .

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 7th, 2012, 4:52 am

He really does look like a sex pest.

pabloin us

Postby pabloin us » February 7th, 2012, 8:21 am

I think Brooks has to do something, after all the Magiccafe was the vehicle used for the statements,; he could have some kind of legal liability. I am not sure if I would ended the PM with "it is just business" because it is not only business, but it is his position.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » February 7th, 2012, 9:28 am

David Penn has issued the following statement on Facebook. Link here

The statement reads...

A public apology to Wayne Dobson and Jeff McBride

When Craig and I first aired our opinion on The Squeak Technique DVD which was webcast as part of The Wizard Product Review we genuinely believed that we were standing up for Wayne Dobsons performance rights.

I am very pleased that Wayne Dobson and Jeff McBride have acknowledged that there are no issues regarding rights on the DVD. I wish to apologise unreservedly to Wayne and Jeff for the review and hope that they will accept that I did not intend any malice at any time.

I am deeply sorry that Wayne feels that he was bullied. This was certainly not my intention and I would never condone bullying in any form and I would also like to offer my unreserved apology that Wayne feels this way.
My personal involvement in the Wizard Product Review has come to end in light of recent events.

I sincerely hope that Wayne and Jeff will accept my apology.

David Penn
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 7th, 2012, 9:37 am

I love apologies like that. "I'm sorry you feel that way". Not "I'm sorry I bullied you".

Glad he's been sacked. Hopefully no one will buy any of his tat again and he has to work in mcdonalds.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » February 7th, 2012, 9:58 am

Craig Petty has also now apologised via Facebook:

Craig Petty
A Public Apology

I would like to offer a heartfelt apology to Jeff McBride. I have always been and remain a fan of Jeffs work. I genuinely believed that I was protecting a fellow magicians performance rights. In light of recent developments I understand that Wayne does not consider that his performance rights have been in any way infringed. I am truly sorry that I did not speak to Jeff before the review on Wizard Product Review.

I would also like to apologise to Wayne Dobson. Wayne has been a hero of mine for years. I have been made aware that Wayne has felt stressed by the whole situation and I am truly sorry for that. I hope that this apology goes some way to reassuring Wayne that I did not intend that to happen.

Finally I want to apologise to the viewers of the Wizard Product Review. I started the show almost 2 years ago now as I genuinely thought there is a need for a review show that tells the truth about magic products in an entertaining way. Every week I tried to tell you exactly how I feel about what is good and not good in the magic world. I feel that recently I have let you down. All I can do is say sorry that I disappointed you and I hope that over the last two years you have had some enjoyment from what I have offered you.

I am going to take a break from WPR for the time being to reflect on recent events.

Craig Petty

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 7th, 2012, 10:07 am

That's a better apology than the dwarf's one.

It's amusing they still pretend it's a review show and not an affiliate thing to sell products.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 7th, 2012, 1:11 pm

I don't believe Russ, jeff or wayne would have threatened any sort of legal action. I know when I gave both sides of the situation surrounding the refraction DVD, trainer (of wms) did mention lawyers and the protection of his brand.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » February 7th, 2012, 6:59 pm

The following has been passed on to me, from Wayne Dobson & Jeff McBride.

We have read both David Penn and Craig Pettys apologies and sadly see that each has chosen to carefully avoid the one situation that made this so serious and morally contemptible. The secret telephone recordings made by David Penn, without Wayne Dobsons knowledge.

We now know that this is not the first time that David Penn has employed such tactics, as others have come forward and confirmed. That is reprehensible, but to then actually play them to third parties is beyond the pale, as well as being illegal. We also confirm that others have now come forward and told us of similar intimidation and bullying techniques. Waynes was not an isolated incident.

We would suggest that avoidance of a mention to this in their apologies shows that they are not heartfelt, but rather a cynical attempt to gain some sympathy.

On the forums at least, this whole sad story is over but we fear that David Penn and Craig Pettys names and reputations in our fraternity will forever be tarnished by their actions (or lack of).

Wayne Dobson & Jeff Mc Bride 7th February 2012
Brendan

Scott M.

Postby Scott M. » February 7th, 2012, 8:52 pm

I agree that David's apology was evasive. But the apologies may have been constricted for legal reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if they had legal advice to avoid admitting participating in an illegal act on a public internet forum.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » February 7th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Wayne Dobson & Jeff Mc Bride 7th February 2012

Just curious. Who is the author of this text?

I've been told that Wayne have trouble typing due to his MS, so I guess that Jeff (who is very dexterous) have written it.

Only - it looks nothing like the style of English that Jeff normally use. And to my untrained eyes, this looks more like UK syntax than US syntax. So, maybe Wayne is the author... but the Jeff I have met is a caring person - seems uncharacteristic of him to let Wayne struggle with the typing that Jeff could do faster and easier. So who is the author?

I usually don't trust joint statements where there has been put effort into making it impossible to figure out who has said what. Usually turns out that one of the participants in the writing have an agenda that the others are unaware of. Not saying that is the case here - this might be the exception - just that it's usually the case.

I don't know Craig and David. Have only met them once, for five minutes, at Ron McMillan's last year.
As far as I can see, they've both posted individual and personal apologies for their individual actions.
Those apologies might or might not be insufficient, I don't know, but they are individual. Can't find anything "cynical" or manipulative in Craig's apology over his own personal and individual actions.
Refusing to accept his apology seems vindictive in a way that, to me, is uncharacteristic for Jeff. I don't know Wayne as well, but to me, it seems uncharacteristic for him as well... which brings me back to the question; who is the author of the joint statement above?

I would prefer statements where each person's views are clear and identifiable. Less risk for confusion.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » February 8th, 2012, 1:01 am

I believe Russ Stevens types for Wayne. I also believe he said as much in one of the previous missives.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » February 8th, 2012, 5:46 am

The statement above has as of this morning been posted to Wayne's Facebook

I don't have a clue who writes what but it clearly states it is co-authored.

Brendan
Brendan

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » February 8th, 2012, 6:14 am

From whom did you get it yesterday?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 8th, 2012, 8:37 am

Someone just sent me this

NSFW at all

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/1301661 ... ow-podcast

Richard Stokes

Postby Richard Stokes » February 8th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Even Fabio Capello has resigned in protest...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 9th, 2012, 12:28 am

Jeez, what a mess!

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » February 10th, 2012, 1:51 am

So, is the next WPR being conducted soley by Blammo?

If that's the case, I will bet that no colour changing deck type tricks will be reviewed.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 11th, 2012, 4:22 am

Hi Righteous,

Please, are you able to date this?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 11th, 2012, 4:45 am

And here is UK comedian David Copperfield performing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tylk6JKk4

Wayne was the first to incorporate the idea into a magic routine and whenever I saw Wayne perform, it was always in the context of a borrowed note in wallet.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 11th, 2012, 6:46 am

I think it's obvious that the Spicer video hails from the 60s, or possibly the late 50s. The fashion sense of the woman would suggest early 60s, but Dennis died in 1964, so it's not going to be after that...

Having said that, didn't Jeff acknowledge that he got the idea from watching a video of Wayne's but didn't realise that performance rights were not included? Wouldn't that cut off earlier dating issues?

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » February 11th, 2012, 9:07 am

Q. Kumber wrote:Wayne was the first to incorporate the idea into a magic routine

Another difference that might be significant.

The predecessors seem to all have controlled the spectators' mouth movements by giving cues through touching their arms or hands. While Wayne's version didn't use tactile control to steer the spectators' actions, but was more free-form in that it overdubbed the spectators' normal unamplified verbal responses. I've never seen that before Wayne. Are there any predecessors for that as well?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2012, 11:39 am

"Righteous" was Mark Lewis, and he is now gone.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 11th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Thanks!
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Potty the Pirate

Postby Potty the Pirate » February 11th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:"Righteous" was Mark Lewis, and he is now gone.

What a shame, Mark Lewis is a righteous, albeit outspoken, and acerbic man. His opinions and knowledge are truly worthy. Surely his contribution to this debacle is highly significant? One who has such a vast knowledge of magic deserves to be heard. No matter what trolls and fools may think otherwise.
Potty

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 11th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Potty the Pirate wrote:What a shame, Mark Lewis is a righteous, albeit outspoken, and acerbic man.

He's not righteous. He is stupidly annoying and bad at magic as his YouTube videos prove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2BDXjTjkg

Watch that. He is an embarrassment. He exposes the method, he has an audience that doesn't care he is there, he drops, he is appalling. He has to say 1.2.3 Shh to try and shut up the audience who don't care he is there.

Potty the Pirate wrote:His opinions and knowledge are truly worthy.

No, he is nothing but a troll and ruins forums with nonsense. Which is why he is banned from them all

Potty the Pirate wrote: Surely his contribution to this debacle is highly significant?

It has no significance whatsoever. He is in toronto, doing magic shows in old peoples' homes that David Ben nicely books him for to give him something to do. He knows nothing about the debacle.

Potty the Pirate wrote:One who has such a vast knowledge of magic deserves to be heard.

He has little knowledge of magic. As the video shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lemy01UJWYo

Watch his card magic. It is beyond embarrassing. He is an old buffoon who could probably sell the odd sven deck. Magician? Good god no.

Potty the Pirate wrote:No matter what trolls and fools may think otherwise.
Potty

It's what the owner of this forum thinks, Potty. You'd do well to remember that.

Who is Lewis going to send in here next to defend him? Aside from you I think his only other friend is Glenn Bishop. Let's hope he comes back soon and tells us all about shuffling!

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 11th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Great post Goat.
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Potty the Pirate

Postby Potty the Pirate » February 11th, 2012, 3:40 pm

Trolls everywhere here, what a shame. When you guys have a fraction of the experience of those you dare to cheek, you might just have some kind of credibility.
You don't deserve the honour of having your own appalling videos displayed for all to see.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Potty the Pirate: please go visit the potty.

Potty the Pirate

Postby Potty the Pirate » February 11th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Hey hey, Richard, I'll leave you to your bedroom brigade. No room for the workers here, I see. Common sense is out there, just take a moment to leave your screen and smell the roses.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2012, 4:21 pm

What's a "bedroom brigade"?

AJM

Postby AJM » February 11th, 2012, 4:33 pm

I wonder if Potty the Pirate is nautically related to Jolly Roger - Lark Mewis' only other friend?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2012, 4:35 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what a bedroom brigade is.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 11th, 2012, 5:01 pm

I'm guessing a bedroom brigade is an army of people who comment on the state of the world from the comfort of their bedroom. Or something.

Doug's from the south coast; they do things differently down there...

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 11th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Having made a point of stating that he was a "worker", I would presume that the "bedroom brigade" is comprised of people who supposedly aren't "workers", but rather those who endlessly buy magic, and then sit in their rooms performing it for themselves.............or something like that.

It's the standard insult that clowns and birthday party magicians like to use when explaining away their otherwise stupid remarks.

It's sort of like "I did 8 birthday parties dressed as a clown this weekend, how many did you do"?.......

..............the response normally being, "none, not only do I not dress up as a clown, but I'd rather chew my own arm off than perform magic at a kids birthday party dressed as a clown", after which they use the standard "bedroom brigade" insult.........as was done here.

Return to “Buzz”