Any drink called for.

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Corneilius Jay

Any drink called for.

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 20th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Hey there.
I was wondering if anyone had an idea where to buy the "magic kettle" I've seen that canspose trick and it's cool and all but i would like the original, I think it's much more amazing looking if you know what i mean.
I'm very new to magic in general and I'm focusing on cards and coins at the moment but this is actually one of the coolest illusions out there in my opinion!
Kind regards
Neil

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Any drink called for.

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 20th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Google "Think a Drink Hoffman."
Jim Steinmeyer's "Hospitality," which is sold by David Charvet, is modern version of this effect.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 21st, 2012, 8:15 am

Thanks. . . Wow!
These things are expensive! What excactly do you usually get for your money besides the props and the rights to use them? Or is that it?
Regards.
Neil.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2012, 11:41 am

You never get more than the props: YOU have to supply the practice, showmanship, and presentation or the prop is meaningless.

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 21st, 2012, 12:31 pm

I never thought otherwise.
They must be difficult to fabricate for them to cost so much.
Regards.

Neil.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » January 21st, 2012, 3:24 pm

Corneilius Jay wrote:They must be difficult to fabricate for them to cost so much.

It's not that difficult to fabricate. And it's not very expensive either.
Keep in mind that they are not mass produced, but are custom built by hand on order. Do the math, and you'll see that the price is fair.

Since the construction is within reach of a workshop amateur, you might want to build it yourself. The plans can be obtained here:
http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/pr ... 249&page=2

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 21st, 2012, 5:04 pm

Since the construction is within reach of a workshop amateur, you might want to build it yourself. The plans can be obtained here:
http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/pr ... 249&page=2

Thanks! That's just what I was looking for I was unaware you could just build them yourself. I assumed that it was necessary to have them built or purchase them pre built.
It did not occur to me that the plans would be sold, I missed those books when Mr Kaufman directed me to the self-same website.
Regards.

Neil.

Craig Dickens

Postby Craig Dickens » January 21st, 2012, 9:22 pm

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 21st, 2012, 11:13 pm

In his book Conjuring Anthology, Steinmeyer describes an "Any Drink" routine with a gaffed teapot. The teapot is not too hard to modify, and Steinmeyer shows describes the work.
Most of the "Any Drink Called For" routines that I've studied are part real and part bluff. Some of the drinks can be imbibed, and others just look like the real thing.

Back in the Sixties, when Alan Wakeling performed his Bar Act, a ringside spectator in the audience kept grumbling that he wanted a Manhattan drink. He was an insistent but fortuitous heckler. It was coincidentally the last drink that Wakeling had left in his cocktail shaker, and he played it for all it was worth. Alan said "I'm sorry sir. Is there something I can do for you?" "I'd like to see you pour one in my glass" the heckler responded. Wakeling asked him which drink, and the heckler demanded his Manhattan "I'd like a Manhattan, and I'll bet you can't pour it into my glass." Wakeling slowly poured the drink into the man's glass. The man went quiet and the audience erupted.

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 22nd, 2012, 6:34 am

Brilliant anecdote! That in my opinion is what magic is all about. Astonishment.
The act I saw with the magic tea kettle was by a scottish magic duo called Barry and Stuart, what amazed me about it is that not only could they produce many drinks ( 14 or 15 if I recall ) they actually asked the audience what it was they wanted out of the kettle every time. Some guy actually asked for crme de mnth and they produced it out of the kettle!
Now I'm unsure whether or not this is usually possible but it's the only time I've seen the magician give each person a free choice out of the kettle every time.
I would have suspected stooges but they were at a wedding and the person who asked for the crme de mnth was the groom
What are your thoughts on this?
Regards.

Neil.

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 22nd, 2012, 6:41 am

Craig Dickens wrote:Saw this on ebay-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Tea-Kettl ... _788wt_702

Wow that's cheap! And the excact thing I was looking for. Steinmeyers hospitality would have been great but this is the traditional style I wanted.
Seems too good to be true, is this above board?
Last edited by Corneilius Jay on January 22nd, 2012, 6:48 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Spelling mistake
Regards.

Neil.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 22nd, 2012, 1:45 pm

Cornelius--
You should snag a copy of Steinmeyer's The Magic of Alan Wakeling and Conjuring Anthology. The Wakeling book will help fill out the gaps in your knowledge of this effect. The teapot I mentioned will get you beer, cola, and coffee--I believe. The beer might not be real. In this effect, some of the drinks will be simulations and you will have to switch them out for the real versions. The portable bar you wheel in will help you out.

The drink that wedding magician poured out of the container may have been false and switched out for the real one behind the bar. The flaming wine that Wakeling produced was a cocktail of chemicals. If you want one prop to pour all the drinks, that would be tough to do, however, Hospitality can create that illusion for you.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 22nd, 2012, 3:53 pm

Merv Taylor created a set of stainless steel cocktail shakers for this effect. I believe Owen Magic Supreme Still supplies the apparatus (redesigned) in spun aluminum. I bought mine on a visit to Owen at the old Alhambra location. The apparatus delivers a secret alcohol load and utilizes extracts. When I bought mine from Les, I also bought one of each type of extract available. The extracts have since become much more difficult to obtain. Since I do not imbibe, I decided to sell mine several years ago. This apparatus would be an excellent basis for a drink act.

What has been suggested above in this thread will sort of give the effect but is not the same as the Merv Taylor idea nor the old pitchers or bottles (which are expensive to make). A combination of methods can really make such an act impressive.

I am in the process of developing a new bottle for the effect and I can assure you that there is nothing easy nor inexpensive about such an item. The method others have suggested would be a good starting point to determine if you can "sell" the act. There are several very serious concerns about doing such an act that really have not been addressed by others. There is lots more to it than appears on the surface or is described in books. Perhaps an ebook explaining such concerns is in order here.
Jim

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 22nd, 2012, 6:15 pm

The drink that wedding magician poured out of the container may have been false and switched out for the real one behind the bar. The flaming wine that Wakeling produced was a cocktail of chemicals. If you want one prop to pour all the drinks, that would be tough to do, however, Hospitality can create that illusion for you.

That's just it, there wasn't a bar they poured the drinks straight from the kettle into the glasses in front of the guests. I am assuming stooges were used but to be honest it's been a long time since I saw the program and it was through the eyes of a layman.

Mr Riser.
I have perused your website and I have to say you are a very skilled and talented artist and craftsman.
Regards.

Neil.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 22nd, 2012, 9:05 pm

Mr. Riser is correct when he advocates a combination of methods to make the act impressive. If you walk in front of your audience with only one container that can pour half a dozen drinks, they're going to correctly suspect that it contains various compartments.

A study of Wakeling's approach to this act will help you understand how different methods can be seamlessly integrated to produce the illusion of various requested drinks. I'd love to read that e-book that Riser mentioned. With the exception of the Wakeling book, I have never seen any literature on the Bar Act. Perhaps he might take the time to draft it. (Pardon the pun.)

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 23rd, 2012, 5:25 am

Well that has set me straight.
I love the way assumptions are useless when it comes to magic.
You can assume an effect that looks simple in its performance is easy to achieve but isn't, well not one that is impressive anyway and on the other hand the most amazing impossible of tricks can be produced with just a pack of cards and some good performing skills.
I'm learning all the time.
I'll check out Steinmeyers book but where would I find literature on Merv Taylor?

Mr Riser. If there are "serious concerns" like you say I woulld like to know more. Are they ethical or health related
Regards.

Neil.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 23rd, 2012, 1:06 pm

Health related. Everything must be to restaurant standards or better.
Jim

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » January 23rd, 2012, 9:24 pm

I thought you might be interested in this item now on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeffrey-Atkins- ... 925wt_1219

Peace, Joe

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 24th, 2012, 12:11 am

I wonder how old that prop is. I'd check it for rust...

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 24th, 2012, 2:46 am

Leonard Hevia wrote:I wonder how old that prop is. I'd check it for rust...

I think that listing is just for the booklet/routine.
Jim

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » January 26th, 2012, 7:34 am

Well thanks everyone for the advice.
I'm going to study up on this effect and it's presentation

I'll let you know how I get on.
Neil
Regards.

Neil.

BrianB2

Postby BrianB2 » January 31st, 2012, 12:52 pm

The old and the new.

Brian

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 31st, 2012, 6:27 pm

I heard some folks did a version of the trick on The Magicians over in British TV last weekend using a juice carton.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 31st, 2012, 8:16 pm

That sounds like Jim Steinmeyer's "Hospitality" that Richard mentioned earlier.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » February 1st, 2012, 1:33 am

When can we see Any Drink at Any Number?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 1st, 2012, 6:45 am

Pete McCabe wrote:When can we see Any Drink at Any Number?

I bet that mental annoying italian RK keeps having to ban is working on it as we speak.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 1st, 2012, 9:14 am

Pete McCabe wrote:When can we see Any Drink at Any Number?

Probably alread in performance somewhere using a pack like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Drink-Recipes-Pla ... 537&sr=8-4

or this
http://thedrinkdeck.com/

so how about a Kornwinder glass on wheels?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Corneilius Jay

Postby Corneilius Jay » February 2nd, 2012, 7:53 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:I heard some folks did a version of the trick on The Magicians over in British TV last weekend using a juice carton.

Yes it was Pete Firman who performed hospitality on the magicians.

I bought a good piece of literature on eBay last week called the magic kettle by Jeffrey Atkins
Joe Naud wrote:I thought you might be interested in this item now on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeffrey-Atkins- ... 925wt_1219

Peace, Joe

It hasn't arrived yet but it should be a good read.
Regards.

Neil.

Magic of AB

Postby Magic of AB » October 27th, 2012, 11:51 am

I just watched Steve Cohen perform some form of "Any Drink Called For" on the History Channel program "Lost Magic Decoded" and it was incredible. Any insights as to his method?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 27th, 2012, 12:57 pm

Magic of AB wrote:I just watched Steve Cohen perform some form of "Any Drink Called For" on the History Channel program "Lost Magic Decoded" and it was incredible. Any insights as to his method?

Magic

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 27th, 2012, 5:29 pm

My insight is this: He uses a damn good method. I've seen other people attempt this type of effect and it's not convincing, either the free choice aspect or the tasting aspect. Steve just kills with his.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 28th, 2012, 1:27 am

I recall the last time Steve Cohen was here in Los Angeles, a friend of mine--a pretty well-posted magician--saying, "I'm going to see Steve Cohen just so I can see that damn kettle again."

I don't want to know how it's done.

JFox

Postby JFox » December 5th, 2012, 5:35 pm

One can always send Joe Stevens $7,000.00 (that's a discounted sale price) for Kellar O' Neil's "THE MYSTIC KETTLE" ...an electronic "Any Drink Called For" Kettle prop.

btw - Wish I could locate footage of "Jay Palmer & Doreen" doing their famous "Kettle Act" from the 1950's.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » January 3rd, 2013, 9:54 pm

Kalang's bar act was pretty damn good also.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Return to “Reference Room”