Why did Vernon sign in so many different ways?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Jeff Pierce Magic

Why did Vernon sign in so many different ways?

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » January 5th, 2012, 2:36 pm

To give an example, the link below is to a current action of Larry Jennings stuff. This is the collectors edition of Revelations. You can see it is signed with the two line in a circle version (it is almost a perfect circle, what was his method?) and then on the half title page he personalized it to Cervon with a completely different signature. What gives? I do know that he did use a stamp for his signature at one point but just in this action alone I can point out at least 5 different variations.
What's the lowdown?

Jeff Pierce

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/106 ... a-1984-143

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Why did Vernon sign in so many different ways?

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Vernon always aspired to an artistic life--indeed he was an artist with his silhouette cutting. But I think he always wanted to be able to draw as well, and playing around with different signatures takes that into account. I have four different styles of his signature myself.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » January 5th, 2012, 4:12 pm

From an April 11, 2007 post by Dustin:

Dustin Stinett wrote:The Limited Edition has a tipped in page that has The Professors photo and autograph on it.

Mike Caveney loves to tell the story about how and when Vernon signed these.

It was in the old library of the Magic Castle. Caveney was expecting it to take several signing sessions to complete the project.

The Professor would take a page from the stack of 300 and, using an English Penny as a template, draw a perfect circle. He then signed his name inside that circle.

Caveney kept asking the around 90 year-old Vernon if hed like to take a break or if he would like to continue on another day. The Professor did not stop until every page in that stack had the circle drawn on it and his autograph in place.

Dustin
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » January 9th, 2012, 9:58 am

Thank you Jim and Richard. I just thought it odd that there were two different styles in the same book when they were probably written at the same time period.

Jeff

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 9th, 2012, 11:27 am

When Vernon signed things for me he used a coin as a template to draw the circle.
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 9th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Does anyone else have the combo "Vernon/Cervon" signature or the Vernon "bunny" signature?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 9th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Ill wager that Steve Schlanger has every variant of Vernons autograph in his collection. (Steve, if you are reading this, maybe you could--in your spare time--count how many there are and let me know. That would be very interesting: thanks!)

Dustin

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”