Silk and Static Electricity

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
brianc2k

Silk and Static Electricity

Postby brianc2k » December 26th, 2011, 4:19 pm

I have started using a lot of silks in my show. In the summer I usually have no problem. But in the winter, when the air is dry, I have a major build up of static electricity. I set my iron on the lowest setting as I need to get the wrinkles out and fight the static electricity as I try to fold them or roll them up.

Any one have any suggestions? Magic sizing does not seem to help. But I am using it very sparingly as I do not want to soak the silks and iron dry. Any one have any ideas?
Brian T. Lees

brianc2k

Re: Silk and Static Electricity

Postby brianc2k » December 29th, 2011, 10:21 am

Through another forum I found the answer. I share here for others if they are having the same problem.

I used a dryer sheet and rubbed the silks with them. That took out about 90% of the static electricity and made the silks a lot easier to work with.
Brian T. Lees

Bob Sanders

Postby Bob Sanders » February 4th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Winter does bring more static problems for silk workers.

Dryer sheets work to some degree but they also increase the fire hazard.

What I use is Static Guard.

There is another piece of information that can really save problems. Spray the MAGICIAN with Static Guard! We are the ones who walk and drag our shoes over the carpet in the green room. Then we go out in a wool suit and slide down a stage curtain that rubs our back and builds up static electricity. There is no wonder that the light silk sticks to our arm. Spraying the magician from head to toe before going out to perform really stops the problem.

You will also notice that silk colors can be a factor. The golds and yellows have more static electricity problems than the others.
Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz
AmazedWiz@yahoo.com
SilkMagic@DoveLite.com

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » February 10th, 2012, 4:41 am

Not related to static but a silk tip none the less. I remember Billy McComb talking about getting wrinkles out of silk while on the road. He suggested soaking them and sticking them to the mirror. When they dry they simply fall off.
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 10th, 2012, 5:50 am

No need to constantly iron your silks. Roll them all together after your show and that will eliminate creases.

Return to “Reference Room”