Help finding dice (die) trick

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Dale Hoyt

Help finding dice (die) trick

Postby Dale Hoyt » December 12th, 2011, 1:49 pm

A number of years ago I found a trick using a single die in a publication like Pallbearers or The Chronicles. The effect was similar to Sack's Dice trick, but done with a single die. It is held between the thumb and finger, as in the Sack's trick, showing the number 1; the hand is then raised to ostensibly show the other side of the die, displaying the number 2. Hand is returned to the initial position but now showing the number 3 on the face. This continues with each numeral, from 1 to 6, being displayed in succession, all the while you are supposedly showing the opposite side of the die.

I can no longer fine locate the source of this effect and would appreciate anyone's help in finding it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Ian Kendall

Re: Help finding dice (die) trick

Postby Ian Kendall » December 12th, 2011, 2:22 pm

I'm familiar with the routine, but can't find it at the mo. Will look later...

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 12th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Found it. It's a Dice Interlude by Les Scheyer. Apocalypse Vol 2 No 4 April 1979. Page 183 of the blue volume.

Take care, Ian

Dale Hoyt

Postby Dale Hoyt » December 12th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Ian: That's it! No wonder I couldn't find it -- I was going through the Fulves books a page at a time. Thanks a million!!!

Dale

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » December 13th, 2011, 7:39 am

Several years ago, I came up with this sequence while working on Sol Stone's "Radical Dice". I showed it to Sol, and he kindly pointed out that it had already been published, in Apocalypse...before I was born.

Ah well. :)

I do seem to recall that there were slight differences in how I handled it. If I can dig up my notes and find anything interesting, I'll send you a note, Dale.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Dale Hoyt

Postby Dale Hoyt » December 13th, 2011, 11:39 pm

Jim:
Thanks for the offer. I'd like to see your notes if you find them.
I also had a slightly different handling, more like the Sack's display. The Apocalypse handling sounds like it is more side to side whereas the Sack's method I'm familiar with is up and down. The hand holding the die is palm up, thumb on top of the die. Then the hand turns counter clock wise and the arm lifts as the paddle move is executed to show supposedly the other side of the die.
Is that similar to what you did?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”