Theory11s New T&R // Restored by Lloyd Barnes

Discuss products and their reviews in Genii.
Lloyd Barnes

Theory11s New T&R // Restored by Lloyd Barnes

Postby Lloyd Barnes » November 16th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've been in magic for about 15 years, I've seen countless torn and restored card effects. Starting with Hollingworth's Reformation to Garcia's Torn all the way through to Wayne Houchin's Counterfeit Hollingworth. All of them great in their own ways, however, for myself, all of them lacking certain qualities that would make them perfect for my performance style.

Restored is the result of years of research, development, trial & error, 100s of performances and hard graft. Restored is a torn and restored card effect that happens piece by piece, with the final piece done edge by edge. Shown front and back throughout the entire routine. The moment the final edge is restored, the card is instantly handed out for them to keep. An impossible souvenir. With no gimmicks, brilliant practicality and great angles, this is the closest thing to what a torn and restored card should look like to date, without all the silly gimmicks and sticky stuff.

You can see it here: Theory11 // Restored by Lloyd Barnes

You can see reviews on the product page itself or at The Magic Cafe [click here] or on the Theory11 Forums [click here]

It was #1 best seller for over a week and I was just wondering if you guys had any questions or comments regarding it?

Cheers,

Lloyd

P.s. I know the trailer is awful but the only cuts I made was to make it smaller in length, all of the dirty stuff isn't cut out.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Theory11s New T&R // Restored by Lloyd Barnes

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 16th, 2011, 7:23 pm

In order to have any credibility, there should be no edits or jump cuts of any kind in the video--not that it makes any difference here.

Why is your method better than Guy Hollingworth's original?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Lloyd Barnes

Postby Lloyd Barnes » November 16th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Thanks for the response, Richard.

For some it may not be better than Guy Hollingworths's original, Restored is just much less of a knuckle buster, which some may find more practical for walk around performing. Also, Restored is bespoke to suit my performing style perfectly. Both mine and Mr. Hollingworth's have their pros and cons.

Cheers,

Lloyd

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 16th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Yes, Guy's trick is brilliant but excrutiatingly difficult.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2011, 4:34 am

Sorry to say I didn't make it through the video. Putting all those jump cuts in just makes the video as good as pointless.

Good luck, I am sure you will sell lots to the kids on the cafe and t11 forums.

Lloyd Barnes

Postby Lloyd Barnes » November 17th, 2011, 6:52 am

That's ok, Mr Goat. Like Mr. Kaufman said, video cuts do make video demos pointless, but this is not the case with this video. I literally just shorted down a minute or so of folding and creasing the card. As you would've seen if you could have made it past the first couple of seconds, once the long process of folding and creasing the card is done, the whole of the restoration (i.e. all of the dirty business) is left in. If you'd like to see a 4 minute, straight, performance video, let me know and I'll upload one for you.

Thanks anyway for taking the time out to post, Mr Goat. It sure seems that all of them little kiddies on The Magic Cafe, Theory11 etc. are enjoying this and understanding that it has merit.

Cheers,

Lloyd

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2011, 7:56 am

Very kind of you to offer, but as I didn't last 30 seconds into the original I don't think 4 minutes of it sounds like a better idea.

FWIW, if the sort of people at the cafe and the t11 forums like something, that's usually a good reason for me to avoid it!

Still, sure you'll make a killing, best of luck.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » November 17th, 2011, 9:42 am

I think this trick has merit. A couple of moments caught me off-guard. And I like the final restoration where you restore both seams of the corner one at a time. There are a couple of other subtleties on there that I found to be of interest as well.

So - for those (like me) who love the Hollingworth version - I think this approach offers some interesting ideas to play with. Particularly for those who don't mind doing away with the signing of the card. This is a debatable point. Personally - I will be sticking with Hollingworth's method. But it is still interesting to see how much simpler things can be if you get rid of the signing of the card.

Anyway - I am a real geek when it comes to the T&R card and not only did I enjoy this product, but I thought it was waaay underpriced.

It is less than 7 bucks - and I think at that price there will be few who aren't happy with this. I certainly would have been happy paying more.

So - I give this a recommendation. Particularly at the low price this is on offer for.

Good work, Lloyd!

Joe (not cool enough to hang out with the kids on Theory11)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 17th, 2011, 10:48 am

Since this routine seems to have the same flaw (flaw? Minor quibble, perhaps) that the others do, I'm finally going to say something about it...

All the routines that came after Guy's have the same basic premise - the torn sections are placed into a pocket. When they are taken out, there is never a 'checking' moment - the magician is able to remove exactly the correct corner at the right time (The Marc DeSouza version, on his DVD, is like this - he calls the piece before he goes to the pocket, and there's no fumbling. Like there would be in real life...)

Lloyd seems to peer back to his rear pocket in a manner that look both unnatural and awkward; think for a moment what it would look like if you _were_ to be taking piece out of your pocket - you would take one out, have a look at it, orient it and then attack it to the card. Or, if you were going for a particular piece, take it out, check it, and then put it back if it's the wrong one.

Also, the card is held stationary in space when all this twisting and turning is happening - again, this is unnatural. Without thinking about it, hold a card up and then look to your back pocket - the card will drop slightly - it's how the skeleton works.

I think I'd have more truck with these routines if more thought was given to the naturalness of the blocking. And if they didn't all look _exactly_ the same.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 17th, 2011, 11:01 am

"I've been in magic for about 15 years"

You started when you were six?

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » November 17th, 2011, 11:17 am

Is it really that much of a stretch to think that in a rehearsed routine done with confidence a performer could put two pieces of card in his pocket and remember which is which?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 17th, 2011, 11:52 am

Mark Collier wrote:Is it really that much of a stretch to think that in a rehearsed routine done with confidence a performer could put two pieces of card in his pocket and remember which is which?

Without some setup things get beyond credulity and into the realm of comedy once the careful folding and tearing into neat quarters start.

If for some reason you really do pick up a card and tear it in four you also most likely drop the bits. 'Other' than that requires additional setup and motivation that the audience can anticipate if not at least follow.

Getting the creases off the card and doing the trick while apparently talking backwards might have some merit.

Lloyd Barnes

Postby Lloyd Barnes » November 17th, 2011, 11:59 am

Ian Kendall wrote:"I've been in magic for about 15 years"

You started when you were six?

When I was five mate. My granddad was a street performer in London for a large part of his life and he taught me my first trick when I was five. I have old home videos of me performing it. It's the little trick you make out of paper and have a picture in a square change to another. I used to do it all the time. I'd share the video but I look like a little buddah in it.

I'll address the other comments later fellas, as I'm heading off out now. Thanks for all the interest thus far though.

Lloyd

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 17th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Are you related to Larry?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2011, 12:36 pm

I've never really got it as a plot. Here is a card. Watch me rip it up REALLY carefully. Now look, it's back again.

Meh.

P&T put sense into the newspaper tear, but aside from that I don't think I've seen a T&R anything much that I don't feel meh over. Yes, one can admire the difficulty of GH's routine, but still, why?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2011, 12:39 pm

The best presentation for the Newspaper Tear I've seen is Avner the Eccentric, who comes out and sweeps litter off the stage. The newspaper begins as pieces of trash on the floor. He picks those up, starts reading a piece, then restores the newspaper.

But Torn and Restored Newspaper is an entirely different effect than a Torn and Restored Playing Card.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 17th, 2011, 12:43 pm

"When I was five mate"

That's cool - I started at five as well (it's explained in the December MUM if you get it). However, I know that it was at least fifteen years before I had the experience and self awareness to be able to objectively assess various similar routines.

This is why, when asked, I tell people that I've been in magic for twenty five years, instead of the more accurate thirty eight. The first thirteen really didn't count.

It seemed strange that you would start a post pitching a routine with that number, that's all.

"Watch me rip it up REALLY carefully. Now look, it's back again."

For that reason I quite enjoy doing Jay Sankey's Cardboard Contortionists. Apart from being completely impromptu, it's a lot more fast and loose. Hoodwinked is fun that way, as well. Demos on request when you can be arsed to make it north of Watford.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 17th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The best presentation for the Newspaper Tear I've seen is Avner the Eccentric, who comes out and sweeps litter off the stage. The newspaper begins as pieces of trash on the floor. He picks those up, starts reading a piece, then restores the newspaper.

But Torn and Restored Newspaper is an entirely different effect than a Torn and Restored Playing Card.

That's a lovely idea.

Why is is so different?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 17th, 2011, 1:01 pm

The woodfield t and r handles the tearing/restoring justification nicely. And - it was published in genii.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 17th, 2011, 1:17 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:The woodfield t and r handles the tearing/restoring justification nicely. And - it was published in genii.

Some of us came to the "that darned card again... rip it up" moment on our own.

The challenges of such a routine remain:
1) They have to believe you would tear up a card
2) They have to accept your motivation for doing it
3) They have to accept that you've moved on from the card
4) They have to buy into the reason you might want to put the parts back together.

I kind of like the Ken Brooke item where you end up with a scotch taped card after the transposition.

Luigi Anzivino

Postby Luigi Anzivino » November 17th, 2011, 1:18 pm

I always thought that a torn and restored plot would make sense in the context of Tommy Wonder's Deja Reverse routine, to restore the second spectator's card after the reveal. Is there any work in that direction?

Luigi

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 17th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Darwin Ortiz has a nice, logical presentation for TnR in his trick "The Marker".

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 17th, 2011, 3:17 pm

I don't think woodfield is 'That darned card'. My recollection is that as one is snapping the card, as magicians do, the card accidentally tears. But just a single tear. It is then restored. And I believe the woodfield routine predates most of us.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 17th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Hollingworth has the best motivation for the tearing of the card. :)

(Most magicians I know (including me) don't have the acting chops necessary to pull off Tommy Wonder's routine successfully).

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 17th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote: I kind of like the Ken Brooke item where you end up with a scotch taped card after the transposition.

Tommy Wonder has some interesting work on this in his lecture notes.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » November 17th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Speaking of recent T&R's anyone care to comment on this?

JMD

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2011, 9:44 pm

John, it looks like it's magnetic. We reviewed a DVD with gimmick from a fellow in England (I think) who was selling it at Blackpool last year (different guy than in the video you've linked to).

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2011, 9:50 pm

And here's Ascanio to kick your ass with his handling of LePaul's "Torn and Restored Card":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tba_qgCs ... re=related

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 17th, 2011, 10:20 pm

It's nearly the end of the year, so time for me to put in my bid for most arcane post of the year.

"No Spades, partner. No Spades."

Hint: It's from a black-and-white movie.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » November 17th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that, Richard. Wasn't fishing for the method, I just happened across it a couple of days ago & mrgoat's comment about edits in a the OP's T&R vid brought it to mind. Looked a bit Too Perfect for my tastes & I just was curious about other's thoughts.

Personally, I still like J.C. Wagner's version from 7 Secrets. Of course it's not a complete restore, but since destroyed & restored anything has always seemed like a "here's a cool magic thing I can show you" rather than a "seriously motivated magic moment" not completing the restore never bothered me. (I don't attempt many "seriously motivated magic moments". Probably why P&T's & Mac King's styles appeal to me more than David Blain's or Criss Angel's.)

JMD

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » November 17th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Hey, Pete, if The Professor uses the Center Deal during the card game, he sure doesn't talk about it, does he? (Honk!!)

;)

JMD

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 17th, 2011, 11:04 pm

It's a real shame that Bob Stencel's handling of the JC Wagner version is lost. He did it up at FFFF one year and really fooled us badly.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 17th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Any trick that restores a playing card to anything other than usable condition is pointless. A playing card can't have creases and be usable. Quod Erat Demonstrandum, baby.

But a business card, or a movie ticket, or restaurant receipt, or a million other things, is still usable when creased.

That, in my opinion, is where the greatest room for improvement exists in the T&R category. We have plenty of technology. It's one of the greatest possible effects in magic, purely physical and psychologically fundamental. Now, like everything else in entertainment, it needs a story.

The story will pretty much have to revolve around the thing being torn. Your enemy tears a credit card receipt, so no one can get the number. You restore it. Someone rips up a paper that has a hastily drawn treasure map or proves who the killer is or has the secret formula to Coca-Cola on it or a napkin with the chemical equation of a battery acid that will triple an electric car's range and allows two minute recharging.

Once you have a good story, you can use any decent method. If you don't have a good story, even the best method will be weak tea.

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » November 17th, 2011, 11:29 pm

I'll put in a vote for David Williamson's Torn and Restored Transposition.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » November 17th, 2011, 11:56 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I don't think woodfield is 'That darned card'. My recollection is that as one is snapping the card, as magicians do, the card accidentally tears. But just a single tear. It is then restored. And I believe the woodfield routine predates most of us.

While I do admit to liking Guy's aesthetically elegant handling, I must side with the eccentric Townsend on this one along with Brad's vote for the Woodfield handling and presentation (which is wonderfully and playfully performed and explained on Charlie Miller's DVDs as well.

I think the only flaw with the signature in Hollingworth's Reformation is in retrospect acknowledging that the original document must by default of logic, have never been really torn in the first place. We must respect the intelligence of the audience however clever (and I repeat elegant) the handling may be. What I like about the Woodfield handling and presentation (which really shines through in Miller's performance on the DVD) is the situation, reaction, and resolution to the supposedly natural turn of events. I think prior to the trick in question, Charlie dose another fine card trick in which he "man-handles" the deck "like an elephant riding bicycle on a muddy day." And as we all know, cards are fragile, delicate things. So when Charlie flicks and "snaps" the card in his hand (as Brad points out), Charlie inadvertently tears the card and is now set-up to do the T&R effect. You really have to see Charlie in action to get the gist of "situation magic."

"The scene contains the act." -- a la David Ben a la Teller a la A Grammar of Motives

p.s. Townsed is actually referring to the card trick Charlie performs on the DVD done PRIOR to Woodfield's T&R escapade. "That darned card" is the card that keeps being chosen by the spectator I believe during Charlie's performance and banter.
Last edited by Edward Pungot on November 18th, 2011, 12:11 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: "that darned card" reference

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » November 18th, 2011, 12:02 am

Awww, Pete. You didn't bite. :(

Was my question in response to your arcane post too arcane? :confused:

JMD

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » November 18th, 2011, 1:02 am

Pete McCabe wrote:It's nearly the end of the year, so time for me to put in my bid for most arcane post of the year.

"No Spades, partner. No Spades."

Hint: It's from a black-and-white movie.

Animal Crackers (1930) [situation comedy at its best]
btw...that would be cool to do a T&R animal cracker from the Barnum Box of Magic...free pick of an animal a la equivok...restore the elephants head back on and eat it at the end to hide the evidence.
Last edited by Edward Pungot on November 18th, 2011, 1:07 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: link

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 18th, 2011, 4:28 am

An photo of an ex girlfriend you ripped up when really annoyed could be restored.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 18th, 2011, 10:17 am

JMD,

I didn't see your post before I posted mine. I tip my hat to you.

Damien,

Yes! What a great idea. I especially love the fact that the creased photo is still usable but is not as good as an uncreased one, so that even though you can put it back together, you still have to pay a price for your anger. Cheap photo printers make this very practical.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 18th, 2011, 10:23 am

I like "Signatear" a New Stars of Magic Manuscript by Karell Fox. Tom Mullica performs it on his "Evening at the Tom Foolery" video/DVD which is also a Great video/DVD.

Return to “Light From the Lamp”