Genii: The Conjurors' CONVENTION in 2012

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mrgoat

Re: Genii: The Conjurors' CONVENTION in 2012

Postby mrgoat » October 30th, 2011, 5:35 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:All of Magicana is available free to every subscriber right now, any time of the day or night, any where in the world. No need for a book.

Except for the fact that people like and buy books. Vernon Touch is available too for free isn't it? I never, ever look at that online and read the book all the time. I know I'd buy a Magicana book.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » October 30th, 2011, 8:04 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Bill, I think anyone who has run a convention (and you have run many) will try and talk me out of it. But Genii will only have one 75th anniversary!

Best of luck with it. If it comes to fruition and I can be of any help publicising it let me know.

With regard to variety acts - from my experience the highlight of any show is always the spec act. Presuming any gala show would be for magicians only and budget allows I'd pack it full of variety acts.

With regard to a suggestion for the convention. Not saying "our way" was best but for Shenaningans last may we made every decision with the attendee in mind. Anything we considered, we always brought up the question. How is this better for the attendee?

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 30th, 2011, 10:17 am

I can't stand variety acts. I think 1 in 1000 are worth watching. Otherwise it's just another [censored] juggler doing stuff to that Yellow song.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 30th, 2011, 11:54 am

Been talking to your brother again? :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 30th, 2011, 2:52 pm

I like the idea of sessions devoted to particular effects. Could have classics discussed by experts. That's be awesome.

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » October 31st, 2011, 2:19 am

When do you think it would be held? Any chance of having it in late August/early September?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 31st, 2011, 4:17 am

Mark Paulson wrote:When do you think it would be held? Any chance of having it in late August/early September?

Have you been to NYC in August?

That would guarantee me not going, maybe that would be a good plan.

Doomo

Postby Doomo » October 31st, 2011, 5:58 am

Got to agree with the Goat... Please not NY... at any time... Too crowded, expensive, and just plain annoying...

How about Baltimore? If you are set on the east coast...

Also, may I suggest a con suite? Contact Kent Gunn if you are unfamiliar with the concept. Some are.

Also, a film room... Showing old and new vids from magicians... But unusual stuff... And it would run constantly, so you could pop in at any time and catch interesting stuff and leave at will...

A convention only issue of the magazine published there and given to attendees... With contributions by the same...Maybe make it a video issue..

A dealers review of some of the more unusual aspects of items and people who have advertised in Genii... Richard Himbers stuff alone would be great if you included his ads.

A Larsen tribute would be a good idea.. With a parody of one of the Bill Larsen convention reports...

A roast to wrap it all up..

Of course there are all kinds of other things... But it is six in the morning and for some reason I cant sleep....So there ya go....

Almost forgot... More panels with the ever fascinating myspacezhang...
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2011, 11:23 am

It definitely would NOT be in New York City.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 31st, 2011, 11:50 am

Have (as part of the convention) a group of magicians perform and teach their favorite effects from Magicana through the years, and video it for DVD.

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » October 31st, 2011, 12:08 pm

I think the convention is a great idea. DC or one fo the suburbs is a fine location. Lots of stuff for the family to do while we are magic-ing the days away. I think a few of the key columnists can put together some lecture/presentation sessions with guest contributors.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2011, 1:23 pm

Not DC.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 31st, 2011, 1:47 pm

Not DC.

AC?

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » October 31st, 2011, 2:02 pm

Obviously Marvel (although I *am* partial to Dark Horse Books)...

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » October 31st, 2011, 2:43 pm

AJM wrote:
I'm sure with sessions hosted by the Genii regulars - RK, The Rock, Giobbi, Giorgio, Steinmeyer, Maven, Britland etc -

I agree with this idea. I think RK discarded it when said about a magazine presented as "live" (another magazine). I will add to the list: Gaugham, Tom Stone, Racherbaumer, Acer. I think Steinmeyer and Gaugham aren't invited often to conventions, it could be a good oportunity to meet them.

Well, just my opinion .... I don't know if I could attend, I'm in another county, very near, but finally another country.

And I agree too with a Magicana book :P
Andres Reynoso

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » October 31st, 2011, 3:48 pm

As the Larsens were a big part of the 75 years, the Magic Castle seems like an appropriate "home" location for a Genii convention, except that it would be hard to fit in as many folks who would want to attend. Joe Stevens sponsored a one-day convention there, but it was small.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2011, 3:58 pm

The Magic Castle is suitable for hosting a small event, but not a major convention. One of the biggest problems is that the only two hotels within walking distance from the Castle have a room rate of $200 a night (and that's the "special" group rate).

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » October 31st, 2011, 4:08 pm

You could come up to the Boston area... I know a place with really great rates and decent proximity to the airport.

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » October 31st, 2011, 6:02 pm

Andrew Pinard wrote:You could come up to the Boston area... I know a place with really great rates and decent proximity to the airport.

Sounds good to me.
- DO

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 31st, 2011, 6:04 pm

Not Boston.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 31st, 2011, 6:38 pm

With the way that you are rejecting locations, sooner or later you'll end up in Edinburgh. Why fight it?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 31st, 2011, 8:16 pm

Richard, I'm going to spill the worms:

It's at my house (The Double-Wide by the Creek-Side). The Community Rec Room has space for 200 and a stage...no lights, but a stage. (We'll work out those details later). There's no air conditioning, but several ceiling fans, so it won't be so bad (we can open the side door and get a nice cross-breeze). We're using the Billiard Room as the Dealer's Room (three tables for the dealers to share). The only issue we have right now is negotiating with the Bingo crowd: They're pissed off.

Dustin

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » November 1st, 2011, 12:35 am

It would be great to see some people that rarely lecture or come to the East Coast. But what are you thinking about a location Richard?

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » November 1st, 2011, 10:23 am

What about Las Vegas?
It would also be great to have a dinner all together.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 1st, 2011, 10:34 am

Not Las Vegas.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 1st, 2011, 11:06 am

I've had good times at events in Orlando.

Jim could give a talk on illusion based effects at wdw and then we could all go and see them in action. Heck, you could even rent out the mansion for a banquet/reception.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 1st, 2011, 11:18 am

We could pick almost any country at Epcot (the potato pancakes at the restaurant in Germany: Mmmmmmmm!!!).

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » November 1st, 2011, 11:31 am

Lake Tahoe?

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » November 1st, 2011, 4:58 pm

Richard,

Suggestions as to location, transportation and activities may be dependent upon month.

When is the anniversary or when would you like to hold the event?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 1st, 2011, 5:29 pm

Anniverary is all year long, starting November 2011.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 1st, 2011, 7:43 pm

Pick a city close to where the organizers actually live. This will make logistics and Murphy's Law easier to deal with.

Incorporate a separate corporation to handle just the convention to limit liability.

Book it in a low rate month.

Bob Plaut

Postby Bob Plaut » November 1st, 2011, 9:17 pm

Fall or early winter in Myrtle Beach?

Gary Hunt

Postby Gary Hunt » November 1st, 2011, 10:54 pm

Have always found that at any conference networking and catching up with old/new friends is what I enjoyed most. So having the conference located within walking distance of restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc is important. Also, free time and spaces within the hotel is another key element. This is a little bias, but I have always enjoyed the Conference on Magic History. While a small conference, the structure, format and pacing always seemed about right. So here are a few suggestions, rather random I am afraid.

Provide some historical perspective. Feature some of the performers that have been on the cover. Live performances, discussion panels, recreations, films, historical presentations, etc

Present some of the magic that has been featured in Genii over the years. Some of the very old stuff would be great. Maybe even have some type of contest or competition for the best performance of an effect from Genii. Of course feature the Larsens and the history of Genii. This would make an interesting museum type display/presentation.

How the magazine is put together, both now and under the Larsens. Would be a great panel discussion.

Try to have any performances in an actual theater. Nothing worse than trying to see a show in a ballroom. Do have a dealers room, it always seems like a place where people like to hang out.

Try to have it in a smaller city, not one that is known as a major tourist destination. Come on down south, Charleston is one of my favorites for a conference.and it is not a bad drive for me. <g>
Gary Hunt
www.magicfootnotes.com

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » November 1st, 2011, 10:56 pm

I like the Q&A's with some Big Star. No jugglers. Dealers far and wide. Free Parking, or close to an airport. A Game Show where the smartest guy gets a boat load of money. Wide Screens. An Auction. Hidden cameras planted on a few select people, with everyone knowing that at any moment filming could take place, in the end, all subscribers get an edited keep sake. 4 strong personalities from 4 generations of magic, each ripping each others generation's view on magic to shreds. One of those Asian water bowl guys. Puzzles. People showing off their collections. I hear that endless productions of colored cards are big.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » November 1st, 2011, 11:41 pm

Midnight spook show, with blackout!

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » November 1st, 2011, 11:44 pm

I had the pleasure running the magic hands convention in Germany for two years (first year with Manfred's help, second by myself). I had a major bank sponsor the public gala shows and still with that significant money the convention was not a financial sucess, came close to breaking even....'
With the good number of established conventions in the USA that are basically fighting for the same dollar it is a very risky proposition that might end up in financial disaster. I would maybe try and make a deal with one of the established conventions to add (a separate pay event) gala ball with stage show to their convention.
It could be a win/ win for the convention (as some guys would just come out to celebrate Genii and then add the convention since they are already there)....
As much as you want to celebrate the 75th it is not worth risking your house over it.....

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » November 1st, 2011, 11:58 pm

I think the critical factors in making such a venture a success are location, scheduling (time of year), cost and talent, not necessarily in that order. Talent shouldn't be a problem as just bringing in the columnists (Racherbaumer, Giobbi, Steinmeyer, Acer, Swiss, Regal, etc. - yeah, that includes you Dustin) would be a draw. Something topical like Marty Demarest updating his Erdnase research would likely get some buzz going. Location and cost are part of the same equation, I imagine. Lots of East Coast venues are expensive. I'm not a huge Las Vegas fan, but it sure is cheap at the moment. From a historical point of view, Los Angeles with the Larsen's home and the Magic Castle would make sense, but the cost might be a problem. The current publisher's fondness for Disney would suggest other possible venues, but again, cost would be an issue most likely. Summer seems to be the best time of year for such things in terms of getting a good turnout, but this summer you have IBM/SAM/FISM events to avoid. Here's a thought, how about having a convention that, like the magazine, goes to subscribers, i.e., moves around the country and perhaps the globe? A "GENII ON TOUR" kind of thing. That would bring it to smaller, less expensive venues, within striking distance of the larger population areas. Lifetime subscribers get to ride on the bus! Perhaps different cities would get a different line up, making each stop unique...

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 2nd, 2011, 2:10 am

Dick, the only thing I can draw are stick men. (But thanks for the thoughts!)

Regarding Mr. Farmer's post above:
Bob Farmer wrote:Pick a city close to where the organizers actually live. This will make logistics and Murphy's Law easier to deal with.

Incorporate a separate corporation to handle just the convention to limit liability.

Book it in a low rate month.

I'm not sure what he's thinkin' by making sense and all.

Dustin

Doomo

Postby Doomo » November 2nd, 2011, 12:17 pm

Oh please god... NOT Disney World....Or that area....
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Nickle

Postby Nickle » November 2nd, 2011, 12:24 pm

For an east coast location I would say somewhere like Charleston SC. The airport is large enough to be easily accessible and affordable from other cities around the country. The city itself is more affordable than northern east coast cities and the weather is much warmer. I would think a time during the off season would be great. The prices are lower, more facilities to choose from and the weather is actually nicer, not as hot and humid. It is great location for anyone just going for the conference as well as people making it part of a family vacation. The city itself is full of charm and mystery.

Return to “Buzz”