Mexico City

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.
Mike Remington

Mexico City

Postby Mike Remington » October 11th, 2011, 4:38 am

I am taking my first trip to Mexico City at the end of this month and will be there for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have suggestions of places to watch magic or magic stores to visit?

mrgoat

Re: Mexico City

Postby mrgoat » October 11th, 2011, 4:56 am

There's a girl that does this thing with a horse, it's magic.

Shall I send you the details?

:)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 11th, 2011, 10:15 am

Just a link, maybe.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » October 11th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Hi Mike, wellcome to Mexico.

Well, this weekend (October 14-16) is the "simposio mgico" (magic simposium) but ...errr.... I think you aren't here in Mexico yet.
Organized by Circulo de Magos Mexicanos (Mexican Magician's Circle) featuring Jonathan Pendragon, Daniel Garca, Zyro, Daniel Garber, Diego Minevitz, Gustavo Raley and more.
http://www.circulodemagosmexicanos.com/

Sometimes in a downtown cafe there are magic shows, let me investigate schedules.

October 30th premiers Cirque du Soleil Ovo here in Mexico City. (3 weeks, not exactly magic but Cirque always is magical)

November 7th at night is the "Toque Mgico" club monthly meeting.

November 17-20 at Teotihuacan (arqueologyc zone, 1-2 hours from Mexico City, it depends the traffic) is the "Toque Magico Congress" featuring Losander, Shoot Ogawa, Hyun Joon Kim, Yo Kato, Daniel Raley, Raul Alegria, Spider, Duo Kibalion and more
http://www.eltoquemagicodedino.com/

Magic stores .... unfortunately most of them are "underground" dealers only sell in meetings, conventions or by appointment. I remember a couple of 'public' stores not very good at all. Only classic tricks: egg bag, machicole, fire book, cigarrete zigzag, sponge bunnies, marked decks, svengali, square circle, zombie ball and a lot of practical jokes.

Regards
Andres Reynoso

Magic Mike

Postby Magic Mike » October 12th, 2011, 11:47 am

Mike was very nice (and took the time to show us around) when I was in Malaysia.

I'm sorry I can't show you around Mexico (haven't been there...yet)
But, if you ever get to Canada....

Have fun in Mexico!

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » October 13th, 2011, 2:23 am

I was in Mexico city for a 3 day conference, along with perhaps 100 other people, a few years back. I swear, nearly half of us became ill from the food and / or drink. And most of us were forewarned, and very careful. It was comical how bad it was. I thought I would be okay eating only in good restaurants and drinking bottled beverages, but apparently not. The food and drink were all very good, but I guess they contain different bacteria than what we were used to. (Even some friends of mine from Mexico tell me that they are not immune to some of the bacteria found down Mexico way.)

So while I cannot advise you about any magic shops or magic sites to see, I do recommend that you go prepared with the appropriate medications so that you do not suffer much down time should you become ill.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 13th, 2011, 3:14 am

It might not have been the food. The most common methods for these bacteria to enter your body and give you Montezuma's Revenge are:

1. Fruit
2. Salad
3. Ice cubes
4. Brushing your teeth with water from the sink.
5. Water entering your mouth while you take a shower.

I've avoided eating/doing all five of these things and have never gotten sick on any of my trips to China or Thailand.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 13th, 2011, 3:15 am

... and should you fail in your attempt to avoid illness, bring a lot of Imodium.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » October 13th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Imodium could be a good option.

It's better to eat in restaurants, not in street stalls. I recomend not to eat lettucce neither strawberrys out of home, if aren't properly desinfected are dangerous (all over the world).

I haven't problems with brush my theet with water from the sink, but it could be different for foreign people, as Richard says: "the Moctezuma Revenge"

There are a lot of interesting places to visit: Museums, parks, handycrafts markets, Teotihuacan, Coyoacn.

If you are here from Nov 17-20 maybe could take advantage and asist to "El Toque Magico" as I said in my first post. The fee is about $100 USD

Tomorrow starts Simposio Mgico I will meet with the manager of magic shows at downtown cafe, I will ask him for schedules to post here. (I have to add I'm excited, as a teen my dream was to watch a live performance of Pendragons, tomorrow I will meet Jonathan :D )
Andres Reynoso

luigimar

Postby luigimar » October 14th, 2011, 10:10 am

Hey Andres,
if you're reading this, good luck to Chen Kai and everybody at the symposium (from Queretaro).

And some more advice: try washing your hands and then use some disinfectant jelly before eating anything. If there is some bacteria on your hands and on your food, you double the risk of getting sick.
luigimar

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » October 17th, 2011, 11:36 am

Hi Luigimar, thank you very much. I hadn't returned to forum because I was at symposium. It was great!!! Now I am tired and sleepless but very happy. (I will open a new thread in order to coment symposium)

Returning to original conversation :P Tony Guerrero and other magicians run shows at Deseo Cafe near the central Alameda (downtown) but this month will be the exception :( The next one will be the first days of December.
Andres Reynoso

Mike Remington

Postby Mike Remington » October 28th, 2011, 5:30 am

Andres - thanks for the information it looks like I am there between two interesting events. I will be visiting the pyramids and will probably see whether my colleagues want to go to Cirque du Soleil.

Richard - Immodium packed. I follow your list in countries like that and it is the unpeeled fruit and vegetables, not all of them that get to you. This has served me well in most of the world. However, there seem to be some places where I am careful but have still been sick on multiple occasions - Manila and Belgrade come to mind.

Mike - Thanks for the kind words. We would definitely want to see you and Jen when we get to Toronto some time. This reminds me to let visitors to Malaysia know that they can contact me for advice on the Malaysian national past time - eating.

Goat - I think there is someone doing a copy of your act in Bangkok. I will pass on that.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 28th, 2011, 6:24 am

Mike Remington wrote:Goat - I think there is someone doing a copy of your act in Bangkok. I will pass on that.

For the record, it's not *my* act. It's just a variation of a Marlo idea.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » October 28th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Hi Mike

Exactly in which dates will you be here in Mexico?

Cirque du Soleil extends performances 3 weeks more (October 30th-December 12th)

If you couldn't assist to congress at Toetihuacan, maybe could visit monthly club meetings:
- Circulo de Magos Mexicanos (Directed by Chen Kai) will meet November 6th at night. This month will be open meeting with magic auction. Visitor fee $50 mexican pesos (aprox $4 USD)
- Toque Mgico (Directed by Dino) meets on November 7th at night. fee $50 pesos too.

If you are interested ask me here in forum or PM in order to give you address and schedules. Any more help only ask.
Andres Reynoso

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”