42nd Street Cafeteria

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
erdnasephile

42nd Street Cafeteria

Postby erdnasephile » September 28th, 2011, 9:22 pm

All:
I just heard (in an interview) Harry Riser recount some cool stories about the times he spent at the 42nd Street Cafeteria amongst the greats. He described how every Saturday there were 10 tables of the best cardmen on the planet (Vernon, Lorayne, Krenzel,Schwartzman, et al) and you could go from table to table getting blown away for hours on end. (He also talked about how Renee had to practically drag Harry away from there after an entire days of doing magic! :) ).

Do such large scale places/gatherings exist anymore? It seems like magicians are becoming more and more isolated (especially during these downloadable video times). Moreover, I know for my part, as much as I would like to participate in such a thing, life just keeps me too busy.

I would love to hear any stories you might have about these legendary meetings or perhaps the groups you are in now.

Thanks!

Jonathan Townsend

Re: 42nd Street Cafeteria

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 28th, 2011, 9:53 pm

That was the place before the Governor, right?

Have you been to the pizza place or maui taco?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 28th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Long before the Governor (so was lunch at the Dixie Hotel!). It was in the Wursboro Bldg. where Tannens was located, Abbott's was on the next block (going West) and Holden's was a block west of that. "Them were the good old days!"

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 28th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Long before the Governor (so was lunch at the Dixie Hotel!). It was in the Wursboro Bldg. where Tannens was located, Abbott's was on the next block (going West) and Holden's was a block west of that. "Them were the good old days!"

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » September 29th, 2011, 8:05 am

Continuously every Wednesday evening for the past 45 years magicians have been attending Gary Darwin's magic club.
It is not really a club, just a gathering like at the Governor's except there is no food, only booze.
It has moved around to different locales in Las Vegas.
For the past 8 years it has been at Boomers Bar on Sirius near Valley View.
Come around 10 PM, leave whenever.

jgottlob

Postby jgottlob » September 29th, 2011, 9:51 am

Are you talking about the same group who used to meet upstairs at Rusoff's? I used to attend it when I got into the city.
jake
Monmouth County, NJ

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 29th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Jake and Jon:
The place I'm referring to is the location Mr. Lorayne mentions: I think it was at 42nd Street and 6th Ave.

It just sounds amazing--all that talent in one place every week.

Mr. Lorayne: did you have to be known by the guys in order to attend the cafeteria gatherings (i.e. was it invitation only)?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » September 29th, 2011, 11:42 pm

No invitations needed - anyone could come in and "mingle."

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”