Ebay Seller Selling Secrets....

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
mehtas

Ebay Seller Selling Secrets....

Postby mehtas » March 2nd, 2011, 5:54 pm

The picture shows DVDs but he is only offering links to video files (just read the section where it says "Here's What You Get")

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magic-trick-lot-I ... 1e61f02d98

I wonder if the creators know about this ?????

Somebody need to keep an eye on this chap.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Ebay Seller Selling Secrets....

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2011, 6:26 pm

I reported the weasel to eBay.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » March 2nd, 2011, 8:27 pm

http://www.whois.net/whois/secretofmagic.com
http://who.godaddy.com/whois.aspx?k=+ts ... id=GoDaddy

The site seem to be hosted at webhostingpad.com, and their user terms regarding copyright are here:
http://www.webhostingpad.com/terms.html

The creators who has been affected should probably send a DMCA complaint to the web host. Might be an idea to grab a screen dump of the eBay auction and include with the complaint.

The owner's Facebook account: http://www.facebook.com/people/Geryn-Ch ... 1297074894

mehtas

Postby mehtas » March 3rd, 2011, 8:32 am

I think this secretofmagicforum has been discussed before here and on magic cafe.

Its made up of folks who don't want to pay for the product, secret etc.

Their forum has been taken down couple of tiems and they come up with new sites.

Its sad to see videos being shared like this.

mehtas

Postby mehtas » March 12th, 2011, 4:25 pm

He is up selling more.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/kidsonboard/m.ht ... m=&_ipg=50

Its strange how ebay is allowing this and they seem to struggle throwing out the obvious rip off merchants.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 12th, 2011, 5:38 pm

I've reported them to eBay again.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » March 13th, 2011, 6:41 am

Is there a legal English term for when someone is parasiting off the reputation, brand name or goodwill of someone else? As I understand it, not all countries prohibits that kind of marketing.

For example, if someone who manufactures crappy toy plastic building blocks are using photos with figures made of Lego bricks in their advertising.
Or, when Blaine had performed Anders Moden's "Healed & Sealed", and rip-offs were marketed using Blaine's name in their ads.

Jim Trainer

Postby Jim Trainer » March 13th, 2011, 11:24 am

Tom Stone wrote:Is there a legal English term for when someone is parasiting off the reputation, brand name or goodwill of someone else? As I understand it, not all countries prohibits that kind of marketing.

For example, if someone who manufactures crappy toy plastic building blocks are using photos with figures made of Lego bricks in their advertising.
Or, when Blaine had performed Anders Moden's "Healed & Sealed", and rip-offs were marketed using Blaine's name in their ads.

Hi Tom,
As a producer ourselves, we have registered for the VERO program at eBay. This allows us to almost instantly remove offending listing with the user getting barred in several instances.

I suggest that producers who are concerned with IP fraud, go to ebay, create a brand new account for VERO. That way, like us, they will have a vero box appear on all listings when signed into their eBay account.

We have removed several hundreds of listings since we joined this program.
best wishes
Jim

Nemesis

Postby Nemesis » July 6th, 2011, 4:57 am

Geryn Childress Le Mas, 82150 Roquecor, France Tel. 0033 563 957925

geryn.childress@hotmail.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 6th, 2011, 7:06 am

Tom Stone wrote:Is there a legal English term for when someone is parasiting off the reputation, brand name or goodwill of someone else? As I understand it, not all countries prohibits that kind of marketing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_off

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » July 17th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Another item nowadays is

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hospitality-Stage-M ... 7662909011

offering Hospitality by Jim Steinmeyer: 9 items available 1 sold, showing a video with Lance Burton performing it. I assume the seller hasn't the rights. Steinmeyer permits build and use his tricks to use in own show but not to sell them.

Maybe if Jim complaints directly as the rights owner ebay could act?
Andres Reynoso

John Lovick

Postby John Lovick » July 17th, 2011, 8:50 pm

I have informed Steinmeyer of the Ebay listing.

peaceout

Postby peaceout » July 20th, 2011, 3:06 am

I used to work at a magic shop and we went out of business because everyone was buying magic online now, the internet is killing traditional magicshop's, so I say anyone that's making magicians think twice about selling products online instead of going to their local magic dealers and doing more to drive more business there is a friend of mine. The only people that visit these site's are people that's interested in magic anyways, these site's actually promote the product and make the magician more money because very few people will trust the site and chose to buy the real dvd from a legit seller, I was told this from heads of Ellusionist and Penguin Magic,(strange world!)that's why you don't see them suing.Everyone knows if you put something out online it's likely to be copied, it's like picking up a snake and wondering why you got bit, Plus! I'm sure everyone here has downloaded music or movies or watched a copy written video on youtube, so your really no better than these site owners so stop being hypocrite's and look at all the copy written material you have before judging others. I'm not saying what these guys are doing is right, I'm just saying people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

peaceout

Postby peaceout » July 20th, 2011, 3:13 am

And another thing! you guys are grown men, stop being tattletales! gee'z! that's so third grade...grow a set please!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 20th, 2011, 4:08 am

Is someone pissed off their ebay account got canned?

Try and be less obvious.

Oh and learn how apostrophes work.

KTHXBYE.

PhilG

Postby PhilG » July 20th, 2011, 5:46 am

Peaceout,

Do not try to diminish people trying to protect copyrighted material by calling them tattletales. That is a passive-aggressive device used to divert one's attention to the fact that someone is actually doing something wrong, and in this case illegal. Suggesting that someone "grow a set" falls into that same category. Defend your position using your brain sir, instead of using high school bully techniques.

We are not talking about someone calling another a nasty name or anything like that, we are talking about people who are trying to make a living and others stealing it. I'm sure if the same rat on ebay were to steal directly from you that you wouldn't be so dismissive of it.

If you want to talk about third grade, using the excuse "everybody does it" is about as juvenile as you can get.

I'm sorry if this comes across as hostile, that is not my intention, but if if it does so be it.

Phil

Nemesis

Postby Nemesis » August 1st, 2011, 5:26 pm

Weasel has now moved on owing thousands in unpaid rent. Now at

Le Bourg, 82190 Miramont de Quercy

Tel. 05633252055

if anyone needs to sue the lowlife

Sonicstabber

Postby Sonicstabber » August 1st, 2011, 9:59 pm

peaceout wrote:The only people that visit these site's are people that's interested in magic anyways, these site's actually promote the product and make the magician more money because very few people will trust the site and chose to buy the real dvd from a legit seller, I was told this from heads of Ellusionist and Penguin Magic,(strange world!)that's why you don't see them suing

I don't see how you can be aware of the actions and private legal discussions of heads of companies, unless you were involved in them. Not saying you were involved, but this kind of information isn't thrown around freely. Especially when a business (keyword here) is losing money due to online piracy done so blatantly via ebay.

Eddie

SquareCircle

Postby SquareCircle » August 2nd, 2011, 9:45 am

Andres Reynoso wrote:Another item nowadays is

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hospitality-Stage-M ... 7662909011

offering Hospitality by Jim Steinmeyer: 9 items available 1 sold, showing a video with Lance Burton performing it. I assume the seller hasn't the rights. Steinmeyer permits build and use his tricks to use in own show but not to sell them.

Maybe if Jim complaints directly as the rights owner ebay could act?

Back at it again.

Has had one offer from a California collector and Genii Forum member (Declined)...so much for verbosity about ethics of intellectual property if the price of a knock off is "right."

Based upon the seller's location, negative eBay ratings, appearance of "custom" illusions, Make an offer listing format, might indicate the current incarnation, or a connection to, another non-performing illusion builder mentioned on this forum.

Just a guess.

peaceout

Postby peaceout » September 21st, 2011, 7:30 am

I heard he rented that property from some fat Iranian woman slum lord that didn't take care of the property and wouldn't take care of a plumbing leak under the house, and once his water bill went up over 5000, and she refused to pay her part he stopped paying rent, every coin has two sides.

Plus the guy bought a restaurant and started a magic school, I know him, he's pretty cool if you ask me, I'm one of his students.

peaceout

Postby peaceout » September 21st, 2011, 7:47 am

All I'm saying is he that is without file sharing or copyright infringing sin cast the first stone, I know this guy and attend his magic school in Europe and he's a great guy, not perfect but still has a good heart plus he just bought the site from ebay not that long ago and it came with those links, he didn't know they weren't approved, plus he isn't to internet savvy and is making changes to the site so no copyrights are violated, so stop getting your panties in a bunch!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 21st, 2011, 7:58 am

So because you know him, and he is broke, you support him stealing other people's work and trying to profit from it?

Makes you as bad as him in my book.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 21st, 2011, 8:40 am

WE are without copyright infringement and file sharing. It's against the law. It's driving people out of business. END of story.

peaceout

Postby peaceout » September 21st, 2011, 11:39 am

And another thing, what type of person goes around acting like the copyright police, get a girl-friend man, you have way too much time on your hands buddy. People! I'm sure you can find something better to do with your time than commenting on blogs about how this makes you mad and that makes you mad, it's one thing if the creators of the effect complains but for just some magic fan to be brown nosing for brownie points with the magic community, seems a bit ridiculous, get a life. I'm so sure none of you have ever downloaded music or a movie illegally before....and if you have, how dare you criticize someone else for doing the same thing you've probably done hundreds of times if not more, SO STOP BEING HYPOCRITES AND GET A LIFE!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 21st, 2011, 11:44 am

You're really going to fit in well here!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 21st, 2011, 11:50 am

How much is the opening bid for "peaceout"'s private information, a picture of it's girl/boyfriend and the name of the sports club where the activities with those minors was filmed?

(that's a monty python reference)
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 21st, 2011, 12:09 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: cue the grainy black and white footage with the counters. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

peaceout

Postby peaceout » September 21st, 2011, 12:08 pm

Well, he owns a restaurant and a magic school in southern France with over 20 students weekly, plus he has over 5000 thousands students taking his magic course worldwide online, he also has a production company and just released his first documentary and is shooting another one as we speak, all while taking care of like 7 kids, and judging from his new car I wouldn't say he's exactly broke...Lol!

plus like I said he purchased that site from some kid off ebay with the links already there and has since took the links that aren't authorized off and only sells his items, and doesn't allow members to post illegally links anymore so I'm not sure why you guys are having a cow over old information that has been corrected a long time ago. Like I said, I'm a student of his and he's a great guy and good father and cook too, if you guys checked his site and his blogs you'll see that copyright stuff was worked out a long time ago, so it's probably best to check your facts and know what your talking about before you post a comment.

peaceout

Postby peaceout » September 21st, 2011, 12:23 pm

Wow! now that's just down right mean spirited and dangerous, I'm just stating the facts people.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » September 21st, 2011, 12:33 pm

It's mildly entertaining when somebody who is actually coming across as a complete and utter idiot thinks their posts are somehow "righteous" and/or "justified".

........when really, they're just a box-stock idiot.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 21st, 2011, 12:49 pm

W00t! Have you _seen_ his site? It's a blast. It's almost as if someone bought a BizOp report, threw a site together with fourteen thousand keywords and flogged it to the French guy. It's worth a look just for giggles.

The opening post on the front page is a gem:

So I buy this trick from Ellusionist and spent $80.00 dollars, come to find out I couldve produced this same effect myself for $5.00 dollars, all I wanted to do is make a ring float from my hand to someones finger, so I spent the $80 bucks and the gimmick didnt even match my skin color, I thought to myself, MAN THAT SUCKS! I wouldnt want anyone to go through the same things I did, so I will teach you this Ellusionist effect for FREE! thats right FREE!

Because you just _know_ that his online course is the real work...

Ian

peaceout

Postby peaceout » September 21st, 2011, 12:52 pm

Like I said, I'm only stating facts Mr Rogers....name calling doesn't change the facts Mr. Rogers, my point is we are all guilty of doing something wrong in our lives before(if your honest) atleast the guy took the links down and runs a clean site now, how many of you have tried to fix the things you've done wrong before? Oh yeah, I forgot, your Mr.Rogers..your perfect! so go back to your imaginary neighborhood where everyone is perfect, and they sit on there perfect little porch and point fingers and talk trash about the paperboy riding by on his bike, mean while all your dirty little secrets are locked away in you perfect little closet...give me a freakin break! Hypocrites!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 21st, 2011, 12:53 pm

Sounds like a stand up guy to me

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 21st, 2011, 12:56 pm

It's up to you if you air your dirty little secrets peaceout. Discucssing/selling other people's products in a way that ruins their market by way of copying or dilution of value is not helping the magic market.

Not sure anyone here cares if you're in the closet.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 21st, 2011, 1:02 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: love that "perfect little closet" phrase. Now just need a people in glass closets shouldn't throw shoes type joke to go with it.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 21st, 2011, 1:03 pm

I am tempted to stump up the 25 bucks to see what he has to offer! Anyone else interested?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm

We say the ball goes in this hand when in fact it does not. We say pick any card when in fact it's only the one we want that they will get. Of course we're all hypocrites, and audiences love that.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 21st, 2011, 2:40 pm

Also from the site:

"Have you ever been to a party that is totally dead? And did you wish that someone would come in the room and save the day? Did you maybe daydream that you could be that person and be an instant hero in a room full of beautiful babies? Well heres an idea that may just fulfill this fantasy for you at that next bomb of a partywhy not try magic tricks?"

So, what kind of tricks does one do in the maternity ward? I know it's a typo, but it's a creepy typo.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 21st, 2011, 2:41 pm

Another gem:

Magic tricks are designed to please crowds, which inevitably forms a majority at most gatherings. Magic tricks are the most popular form of magic entertainment

peaceout

Postby peaceout » September 21st, 2011, 3:05 pm

I've been a member of that site almost since it started, not sure where you got the phrase "room full of beautiful babies" I've never seen that before, let's not just make things up to try and prove our point.

Here it is in a nut shell, when the site was first up I did receive magic links that I'm sure didn't have approval from the creators, then shortly after the guy sent me an email saying things were going to change on the site and he was trying to work a deal out with the creators so he could keep the links up, I'm guessing that fell through because he sent another email to all his subscribers saying the links would be took off and he'll only accept original material that has the approval of the creators...So for me, the issue is over that's why I don't understand why everyone is being such tight asses over an issue that was took care of a long time ago, and like I said, I'm sure the same people complaining have downloaded illegal material before so just get over it, atleast the guy didn't keep his site like most file sharing sites, ex: demonoid,graboid,kickass torrents...etc

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 21st, 2011, 3:21 pm

It was copied from the front page of secretofmagic.com

Not making anything up

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 21st, 2011, 3:26 pm

Interesting - the text on the website has magically changed from babies (which I assumed was meant originally to be 'babes' to 'women.'

That was fast.

At least now we've gone from being creepy to - well, being creepy n

It makes me wonder if, like the hair club for men, peaceout may be more than a member ...

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”