Free SEO basic advice

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
mrgoat

Free SEO basic advice

Postby mrgoat » September 1st, 2011, 10:22 am

I posted this over on the magic bistro, now I have gotten Mark Lewis and Glenn Bishop to stop posting there, it's not such a bad little place.

Thought some of you guys might like it too.

This is fast and dirty. Because it is really really simple.

Work out what keywords you want to rank for. Let's say "sussex magician".

You then buy a domain with those keywords in. I bought www.sussexmagician.com

You then install wordpress.

You then put a site on there that has good title tags. These are the words that appear up in the top of the browser chrome. "Sussex Magician | Weddings | Parties | etc"

You then post relevant keyword rich blog entries.

You add picutres. And make sure the filenames of the pictures are your keywords. Not 210pxWANKYRAT.JPG but sussexmagicianentertainingatparty.jpg

Use alt tags.

Get back links . These should be from relevant sites. DO NOT EVER PAY FOR BACK LINKS. Many seo companies will sell you this, don't do it.

And regularly update your sites with relevant 50-10 word posts.

And that really is about it.

Any questions, shoot.

PS Meta tags are given no weight anymore by google, I still see 100s of magic sites that think they do. And black text on a black background doesn't either.

Pete McCabe

Re: Free SEO basic advice

Postby Pete McCabe » September 1st, 2011, 11:44 am

I think Marlo had something like this, but I don't know if he ever put it into print.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 1st, 2011, 11:58 am

Pete McCabe wrote:I think Marlo had something like this, but I don't know if he ever put it into print.

Sorry, took a leaf out of the Paul Gordon book of crediting. My bad.

Alan M

Postby Alan M » September 1st, 2011, 2:20 pm

Mr. Goat,
What importance, if any, would you put on using Meta tags for the sake of other search engines, such as Bing or Yahoo?

Clearly Google is the leading search engine, but is it wise to eliminate the meta tags if the other engines still use them? Or are the others so insignificant that they can be safely disregarded?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on SEO.

-Alan

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 2nd, 2011, 3:39 am

Alan M wrote:Mr. Goat,
What importance, if any, would you put on using Meta tags for the sake of other search engines, such as Bing or Yahoo?

Clearly Google is the leading search engine, but is it wise to eliminate the meta tags if the other engines still use them? Or are the others so insignificant that they can be safely disregarded?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on SEO.

-Alan

http://www.malcolmcoles.co.uk/blog/meta ... ag-google/

http://www.seroundtable.com/poll-meta-k ... 13914.html

Yahoo is now powered by Bing. They are the same thing.

I don't bother with Bing really. But if I had more time and energy I might.

Thing is, people used to just spam metatags and think that was SEO.

It's much better to create a page actually for your audience, and the traffic will come. Think more about relevant frequently updated content than trying to 'trick' google and you will do better.

HTH

Damian

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » September 2nd, 2011, 4:21 pm

If you've already got a domain ie: www.mrgoat.com, can the http://www.sussexmagician.com/ forward to it? Or does that loose the SEO function?

Also, the line about regular updates may not be clear to me-length of update from 50 words to as short as 10 words?

Thanks for the ideas. SEO is proving to be the hardest part of all this to wrap my head around.

Jeff

www.jeffreykorst.com/magic

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 2nd, 2011, 4:33 pm

mrgoat wrote:I posted this over on the magic bistro, now I have gotten Mark Lewis and Glenn Bishop to stop posting there, it's not such a bad little place.

Boring!!!!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 2nd, 2011, 5:35 pm

Jeffrey Korst wrote:If you've already got a domain ie: www.mrgoat.com, can the http://www.sussexmagician.com/ forward to it? Or does that loose the SEO function?

Also, the line about regular updates may not be clear to me-length of update from 50 words to as short as 10 words?

Thanks for the ideas. SEO is proving to be the hardest part of all this to wrap my head around.

Jeff

www.jeffreykorst.com/magic

If you do a permanent redirect you get the google juice for the domain, which is VERY weighted.

And sorry for the confusion. Typo. 50-100 words.

Return to “General”