Treating Business Cards so they slide

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jonathan Townsend

Treating Business Cards so they slide

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 25th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Is there something one can use to cover business cards so they handle more like playing cards. A satin finish fixative that does not smear the ink? A decoupage glue that can be applied in a thin coat that dries smooth?

Just having them slideable for counts would suffice - no plans for riffle shuffle tricks yet.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Smurf

Re: Treating Business Cards so they slide

Postby Smurf » August 25th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Just a thought...I don't know that it would work.

http://www.lybrary.com/playing-card-coa ... 46771.html

BarryTX

Postby BarryTX » August 29th, 2011, 11:33 am

Jon,

Here are a couple of links to sites that have some discussion about card coating efforts in them. I'm not sure if this will lead you where you want to go but there seems to be some good info in there. If nothing else seeing what didn't work for these folks may be useful.

http://www.wopc.co.uk/otc/production.html

http://www.lybrary.com/make-your-playin ... ml#coating

Best of luck,

Barry

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 30th, 2011, 2:34 am

I think USPC would do a steady business printing business cards onto playing card stock. Every magician in the world would immediately get business cards printed on playing card stock, and every magician who has ever marketed an effect would introduce at least one using linen-finish business cards. Why just the Jay Sankey tricks alone should keep the press busy for years.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 30th, 2011, 7:13 am

Pete:
Didn't the new Bike Mandolins come with a promocard for something like that?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 30th, 2011, 9:26 am

Pete McCabe wrote:I think USPC would do a steady business printing business cards onto playing card stock...

Tempting to ask. My objective is to use cards collected over the years in general card tricks but we can all understand that going forward it serves us for our custom tricks and handout personal business to have cards printed that way.

For magician type business cards - rounded corners or keep them square (muggle style) ?

If this was the 90s folks might compliment such cards by calling them "fly". ;)
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on August 30th, 2011, 9:35 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: This time around - it's fine with me - go for it. Enjoy. :o)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 30th, 2011, 12:35 pm

In last night's search I did find business cards with rounded corners. Can't remember if they were for laser/inkjet or a printer.

I do remember one time emailing a printer and asking if they could send me a sample of a business card that would be like a playing card, and what I got did not feel and handle like a playing card.

Very brief search of USPC website did not turn up any custom business cards.

It does look like the good folks at Card-Shark have all sorts of custom playing cards with a good-handling finish, and can do custom jobs:
http://www.card-shark.de/Druckbogen_e.cfm

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 30th, 2011, 1:19 pm

USPC has been contacted, by email, about printing business cards and the jist of their response will be posted ASAP. If all goes well, the Kaps wildcard where you print extras will get popular again.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on August 30th, 2011, 1:21 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: crisp professionalism.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”