Introducing Myself

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Wolkenlaufer

Introducing Myself

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 12th, 2011, 2:38 am

Hi

I'm Bill and I am a very amateur magician, having done very simple effects as a respiratory therapist for my pediatric patients to help them pass their time and/or allay their fears.

I was recently diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease and am beginning to manifest the accompanying symptoms.

I would, however, like to continue practicing my magic as cognitive memory exercise, and am hoping to find some help and advice here.

The two effects I used to do (please don't laugh) are The Magic Coloring Book and 3 Flower Boxes From The Paper Sack, and it is effects (do y'all take offense at the word "tricks"?) such as these I would like to continue with.

I saw the banner ad, "Spirit Lights", saw that it carries one star and was wondering if this might be an appropriate effect/trick for me?

Again, I am happy to have found this site, I love magic and magicians and I hope I may ask for advice from time to time.

I have a very candid and sometimes humorous blog at www.wheretobud.blogspot.com if anyone is interested in getting to know me better.

Thanks very much!

Bill (or Wolkie)
Last edited by Wolkenlaufer on August 12th, 2011, 2:42 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: correct blog address
My Alzheimer's Related Dementia blog is at: www.wheretobud.blogspot.com

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Introducing Myself

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 12th, 2011, 3:29 am

Hi Bill,

First off, welcome to the Genii Forum. I'm glad you found it too.

Second, "tricks" are just fine around here. I don't think we have many (if any) "trick snobs" here. It's just a word.

To answer your questions: "Spirit Lights" is something that is quite easy to learn and perform, so yes, I would say it's a good trick for you.

As for using magic for your personal therapy, I think that perhaps learning a few self-working card tricks would be helpful from an exercise point of view. There are many fine books available with good stuff in them.

If money isn't an issue, I'd recommend starting with Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi which is available from its publisher, Stephen Minch at http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_in ... ucts_id=11

Or you can get all three in the series if that's your desire (and it saves you a little money): http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_in ... ucts_id=55

If money is an issue or you just want to dip your toe into the self-working card tricks waters first, go to Amazon and pick up Self Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves. It's an older book, but inexpensive and a fine start. You can find that here: http://www.amazon.com/Self-Working-Tric ... 0486233340

(There's also a good chance that you can find this book at your local bookstore.)

Once again, welcome to the Genii Forum. I think you'll find a lot of folks around here ready to answer any questions you have.

Good luck and have fun!

Dustin

Wolkenlaufer

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 12th, 2011, 3:53 am

Thank you, Dustin for those links, and yes, money is a bit of an issue. Since my wife now handles all our financial stuff, I get an "allowance" :) every month, so I have to stay within those boundaries.

Thanks especially for the card tricks. I think that combining my present very simple ones with the Spirit Lights and the cards, I may have the makings of a nice childrens' show - which may be all I can do at the present time. My Alzheimer's counsellor knows of my plan and wants me to do a show at our monthly meeting to show that magic can be a very good cognitive exercise, so I will be spending a lot of time here.

I have watched the Spirit Lights video and it really looks impressive, so I can't wait to get started with it.

Thanks very much for that warm welcome, Dustin.

Bill

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 12th, 2011, 4:53 am

Welcome indeed. As money is an issue, check out the learned pig project, it has (legally) many many ebooks of public domain books. Great and free resource. Then you can save your allowance for coke and hookers.

:)

Damian

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » August 12th, 2011, 9:32 am

Hi Bill,

Richard Kaufman's Knack Magic Tricks: A Step-by-Step Guide to Illusions, Sleight of Hand, and Amazing Feats is my first choice and I have given it as a gift several times for those wanting a great start in magic.

Here's the Amazon link, and you can click on the "Look Inside" link to get a feel for the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Knack-Magic-Trick ... 1599217791

I'll think you'll find it excellent and a remarkable value as well.

Best,
Jim
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » August 12th, 2011, 9:43 am

You might be surprised at what you can find in your local library.

Wolkenlaufer

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 12th, 2011, 9:52 am

Thanks, everyone! I've already begun placing orders, but mrgoat, the gentleman on Learned Pig is asking for some entry material I don't think I can provide right now. I will bookmark him and return when I'm a little more knowledgable.

Thanks for all the advice!

Bill

Rob Block

Postby Rob Block » August 12th, 2011, 4:28 pm

Hi Bill,

Welcome. Your profile shows being in Georgia. Not sure where you're located. I'm north of Atlanta and have a fairly extensive library. If we're close to each other and you'd like, I'd be happy to help you.

Rob Block

Wolkenlaufer

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 12th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Hey Rob

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I live west of Atlanta in Carrollton (Carroll County), so it would be a bit of a drive. I wouldn't mind visiting with you at all, but as I can't drive anymore, my wife would have to bring me.

Because she still works and is also caregiver to her brother and sister in addition to me, we try to schedule everything to make it as easy as possible on her.

If you like, maybe we can meet somewhere convenient to both of us and have lunch one day?

Thanks very much!

Bill
==========================================================

SPECIAL NOTE TO ALL: My blog is adult-oriented and might not be everyone's "cup of tea", so if you find it offensive, my feelings won't be hurt if you skip it. :)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 12th, 2011, 5:57 pm

Wolkenlaufer wrote:Thanks, everyone! I've already begun placing orders, but mrgoat, the gentleman on Learned Pig is asking for some entry material I don't think I can provide right now. I will bookmark him and return when I'm a little more knowledgable.

Thanks for all the advice!

Bill

I think if you emailed the owner and explained your circumstances, he would bend the rules. If you wanna cheat, PM me and I will tell you the answers. I think in your situation, it's worth a little cheating. Heck, we're magicians. It's what WE DO!

Best

Damian

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 12th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Since Bill has a legit reason to gain access, I wouldn't see it as cheating: it's teaching.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » August 12th, 2011, 7:09 pm

I'm going to "get away" from magic for a moment, and copy a quote from the back dust jacket of one of my book, only because I think it may be of help. Here goes, for what it's worth:

"I have been using Harry Lorayne's memory-training techniques for years, for myself and for Alzheimer patients. I have had very gratifying results with my patients. Mr. Lorayne's systems probably have better clinical results than the currently available medicines." Dr. Steven Zuckerman; neurologist.

(I have had other "testimonials" in that area.)

Wolkenlaufer

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 12th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Harry, is the book called "Ageless Memory"?

I went to your site, and WOW! I think I've seen you on Carson before. You're awesome!

Thanks and please let me know which book it is, because if it is Ageless Memory, I'll order a copy.

Thanks

Bill

Wolkenlaufer

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 12th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Well, I guess if y'all won't tell, neither will I! The site looks like it's packed, and if it's free, well free is good!

Thanks

Bill

Rob Block

Postby Rob Block » August 14th, 2011, 10:44 am

[quote="Wolkenlaufer"]Hey Rob

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I live west of Atlanta in Carrollton (Carroll County), so it would be a bit of a drive. I wouldn't mind visiting with you at all, but as I can't drive anymore, my wife would have to bring me.

Because she still works and is also caregiver to her brother and sister in addition to me, we try to schedule everything to make it as easy as possible on her.

If you like, maybe we can meet somewhere convenient to both of us and have lunch one day?

Thanks very much!

Bill

Ooh, yeah. Carrollton is a good 1.5 - 2 hour drive from me (without Atlanta traffic!). Send me your e-mail by the PM function here and maybe someday we can hook up.

Rob

Wolkenlaufer

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 15th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Shhhhhhhh! You guys' recommended books have started arriving and I'm WAY past my allowance for the month, but I wouldn't trade getting to know some REAL magic for anything, so I moved some money around, got the mail,(one book) stuck it down in my pants and walked into the house.

"Is that a book in your pants, or are you just triangulating for fairies?", my wife asked.

"Errr, no, it's neither, and please don't think it's a particle accelerator. I have a hadron."

So I limped into my music room, hid the book inside my bass drum, and all was well.

But I have the whole week ahead of me! More books to come!

But I just know my new friend Rob Block will run interference for me. Right, Rob?

Hello?

Just kidding. I'll get 'em snuck in, no pr

~B

Rob Block

Postby Rob Block » August 16th, 2011, 10:42 am

[quote=Wolkenlaufer

But I just know my new friend Rob Block will run interference for me. Right, Rob?

[/quote]

No problem Bill, got your back.

Walrus

Postby Walrus » August 18th, 2011, 5:29 pm

Hello, I also just joined and subscribed to this magazine. Still trying to figure out how to read the old issues. I also use magic with treatment. I work at a facility for guys comming out of jail trying to get there lives together. Sorry to read you are struggling with a tough illness. You have maintained a sense of humour which I am sure helps you and those around you. Peace and all good things.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » August 18th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Yes, Bill, that neurologist's quote is on the back dust jacket of the hardcover version of Ageless Memory. However, he sent me that quote before that specific book came out. I teach the same systems in most of the books. So, Ageless Memory is fine, and if money is not an object, you might want to go to harrylorayne.com and learn about my Memory Power Course - closest thing to personal instruction from me. If you have any questions, you'll find my personal email address there - feel free to email and ask. Best - Harry L.

JordanB

Postby JordanB » August 19th, 2011, 6:35 am

Bill,

Thanks for sharing your blog with us.

I have a few books that are duplicates that are just lying around. If you are interested I'd be happy to mail a few of them to you at no cost.

My email address is jburg469@hotmail.com or you can PM me through the Genii system.

Kindest Regards,

Jordan "tiny" Burgess

Wolkenlaufer

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 19th, 2011, 11:28 am

Hi Jordan

I've sent a pm and thanks very much for your kindness to me!

Bill

Wolkenlaufer

Postby Wolkenlaufer » August 22nd, 2011, 12:47 pm

Jordan,

Your books came today and I just wanted to say a "public" thanks, but wish you had let me pay the postage.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your thinking about me!

Bill

Return to “General”