Who created this patter for vanishing bill?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
James
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Who created this patter for vanishing bill?

Postby James » August 7th, 2011, 10:09 pm

I've seen a handful of magicians use the following patter when they vanish a large denomination bill. Was wondering if anyone gets credit for it and if it's published anywhere...

Magician borrows a $20 bill and vanishes it. Then, throughout the rest of the show, whenever he refers to the spectators vanished bill, he lowers the denomination. goes something like this...

"I'll get back to Jack's $10 bill in a moment..." Then after a couple of minutes "Remember, Jack lent me a $5 bill..." and so on.

Does anyone get credit for this?

Thanks.

James

El Harvey Oswald

Re: Who created this patter for vanishing bill?

Postby El Harvey Oswald » August 8th, 2011, 3:50 am

it would be preposterous for anyone to claim to have originated this or any other narrative that is barely at any remove from common sense/intuition. the quip is a natural consequence of borrowing a bill from an audience member, and as such it's equally incapable of being a genuine innovation, much less an innovation singularly attributable to a particular person. by contrast, methods for vanishing/transposing the bills have clear demarcations, before and after having been invented.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 8th, 2011, 9:40 am

James wrote:I've seen a handful of magicians use the following patter when they vanish a large denomination bill. Was wondering if anyone gets credit for it and if it's published anywhere...

Magician borrows a $20 bill and vanishes it. Then, throughout the rest of the show, whenever he refers to the spectators vanished bill, he lowers the denomination. goes something like this...

"I'll get back to Jack's $10 bill in a moment..." Then after a couple of minutes "Remember, Jack lent me a $5 bill..." and so on.

Does anyone get credit for this?

Thanks.

James

You mean first published reference?

James
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby James » August 8th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Yes, Jonathan. Or if never published, did someone come up with the patter and everyone just borrowed/stole it from him?

James

Return to “General”