Social Media, Facebook, and a Guitar Solo. What does this have to do with marketing?

Post topics about the business side of magic.
Lou Serrano

Social Media, Facebook, and a Guitar Solo. What does this have to do with marketing?

Postby Lou Serrano » August 4th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Check out the video by Clicking Here

Q: What does playing guitar have to do with marketing?
A: It has everything to do with marketing.

Id like to talk about social media marketing with an emphasis on Facebook. Over the last few years Ive been able to use Facebook as an effective marketing tool for my business, and Id like to share some insights.

There is a school of thought that says you should only make posts on Facebook that are related to your business. You should never make posts regarding your personal life. I completely disagree.

In this day and age people are tired of dealing with big corporations that give no human interaction. People are more inclined to do business with others they know, like, and trust. Its been this way since the beginning of the human race; people doing business with others they know, like, and trust. By sharing your personal life with others, people get to know you, and assuming youre a likable person, will be more inclined to do business with you.

This is why I decided to share a video of me playing the guitar. Its a part of my life, and although Im sure there will be some who may knock my playing ability, Im rather proud of the fact that I had the guts to put this up considering that I no longer practice on a regular basis. Still, its a joy to play the guitar, and I hope to eventually have the time to perform again.

Share your personal story through your social media networks, and you will soon see relationships develop that can lead to an ever growing business.

Click Here to watch the video.

As always, I welcome your comments.

Lou Serrano

mrgoat

Re: Social Media, Facebook, and a Guitar Solo. What does this have to do with marketing?

Postby mrgoat » August 5th, 2011, 3:42 am

I assume you measure the success of where you spam and how much revenue that generates? Someone that talks about the things you do must do that basic marketing activity. Measurement.

How many sales does spamming here make you?

If it is less than the 25 bucks Mr K wants for an ad, I'd really give it up. What a waste of time. If not, pay the man!

PS Don't use 'click here' as your anchor text. More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_tex ... algorithms

Lou Serrano

Re: Social Media, Facebook, and a Guitar Solo. What does this have to do with marketing?

Postby Lou Serrano » August 5th, 2011, 5:16 am

mrgoat wrote:I assume you measure the success of where you spam and how much revenue that generates? Someone that talks about the things you do must do that basic marketing activity. Measurement.

How many sales does spamming here make you?

If it is less than the 25 bucks Mr K wants for an ad, I'd really give it up. What a waste of time. If not, pay the man!

PS Don't use 'click here' as your anchor text. More here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_tex ... algorithms

I was wondering how long it would take to get a post like yours. I'm amazed it took a whopping 12 hours (more or less).

I didn't realize posting topics regarding marketing on a marketing forum is considered SPAM. We must have different interpretations of the term "SPAM".

Ads on the forums are not $25, they are presently $50. You may be surprised, but the amount of money I make from making posts here on the Genii forums is almost negligible. It would be a waste of my time to try to measure it. I only measure efforts that produce income. These posts do not. If they did, I'd be more than happy to put up a banner ad, pay $50, squelch posts like yours, make Mr. Kaufman happy, and increase my income in the process.

I realize the number of readers on this forum who are truly interested in growing their businesses is quite low (quite evident from the lack of posts in the marketing and magic business forum), but for those who seek out this information, they may find a nugget of useful information that just may help them grow their businesses.

As for the anchor text, I don't care about search engine ranking in regards to my marketing blog, so it's not important to me.

Respectfully,

Lou Serrano

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 5th, 2011, 5:44 am

Lou Serrano wrote:
I was wondering how long it would take to get a post like yours. I'm amazed it took a whopping 12 hours (more or less).

Are you, why?

Lou Serrano wrote:I didn't realize posting topics regarding marketing on a marketing forum is considered SPAM. We must have different interpretations of the term "SPAM".

Yes, mine (and the dictionary's) is when you post something unsolicited and commercial in an area where no one cares about it.

Lou Serrano wrote:Ads on the forums are not $25, they are presently $50.

Whatever, it is a trivial amount. If you can't make that back then whatever you're doing you are simply wasting your time.

Lou Serrano wrote:You may be surprised, but the amount of money I make from making posts here on the Genii forums is almost negligible.

Not at all surprised. Just wonder why you bother.

But, how do you know if you don't measure it?

Lou Serrano wrote: It would be a waste of my time to try to measure it.

Really?

Most marketing professionals nowadays say measurement is the underlying key without which there is no point even doing the marketing.

How do you know what works and what doesn't?

Do you measure your success with youtube and twitter? Is it just here you ignore?

Lou Serrano wrote:I only measure efforts that produce income. These posts do not.

Ah, you see, what you should do is measure results. Who cares about effort?

Something works or it doesn't. Black and white. And really easy to measure in these online days.

If the posts do not produce results, why do you insist on boring us all with them?

Clearly you want RK's audience, but you are just too tight to pay for it. That's a little sad.

Lou Serrano wrote:If they did, I'd be more than happy to put up a banner ad, pay $50, squelch posts like yours, make Mr. Kaufman happy, and increase my income in the process.

But you don't know if they work, so you just spam instead, even though you know it doesn't deliver anything. Odd.

I'd have thought spending your time doing things that made you more money would be better.

Lou Serrano wrote:As for the anchor text, I don't care about search engine ranking in regards to my marketing blog, so it's not important to me.

Hilarious. You don't care about measurement. You don't care about SEO.

Is it just spam you care about?

Bless you. Funny little chap.

I'm off for a gig now for the weekend. So sadly I won't be able to respond to your know doubt awesome reply to this.

Have fun spamming. I'm off to do some magic.

x

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » August 5th, 2011, 6:06 am

I find your post amusing, since you have no clue as to why I do the things I do, and I have no intention of spelling out my business plan to you or anyone else.

Thanks for taking so much time responding to my post, although you added nothing to the topic. I hope your time spent here pays well (I'm just going by your 2300+ posts here on the forums).

Enjoy your show.

Lou Serrano

P.S. I thoroughly enjoyed your website.

SteveP

Postby SteveP » August 5th, 2011, 1:34 pm

mrgoat wrote:
Lou Serrano wrote:I didn't realize posting topics regarding marketing on a marketing forum is considered SPAM. We must have different interpretations of the term "SPAM".

Yes, mine (and the dictionary's) is when you post something unsolicited and commercial in an area where no one cares about it.

Damian,

Just because YOU don't care about it doesn't mean others aren't.

Lou's posts are equal to others who also post with links to sites with full articles. Dodd Vickers & John Cox come to mind. But maybe you're thinking that they aren't selling anything. Lou's articles/videos are informative and complete without the need to purchase anything to get full benefit of the information. There's not even sales copy on the page he links to.

I've read here where others get annoyed at all the guys who do this. Understandable. You can try doing what I do and ignore some of them. I don't hound Dodd after every post and demand things from him, but some feel they can do that to Lou. I guess it's because Lou is one of those dreaded magic marketing guys and people like to lump all of them together as rotten apples. That's a shame because Lou really does offer some very valuable and free information.

Personally I like Lou's posts and find out about them from here. I don't follow him on Facebook or subscribe to his RSS feed, so I certainly get some benefit from him posting on The Genii Forum.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 5th, 2011, 1:54 pm

I don't care if Lou posts his stuff here if some find it of value, but he is pitching his "brand" which all leads eventually to selling something. I just wish he would spend the tiny amount of $50 to at least buy an ad here for one month.

Dodd Vickers isn't selling anything, and neither is John Cox. Their posts don't eventually lead to a sales pitch.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Lou Serrano

Postby Lou Serrano » August 5th, 2011, 4:26 pm

I just called Mr. Kaufman on the phone and we came to an agreement regarding advertising. For those who are losing sleep at night, because of my lack of advertising dollars going to Genii, you may now sleep sound. You'll see a banner ad soon enough.

For those who have no interest in growing their businesses in an efficient and cost-effective manner, nobody is forcing you to read my posts. For those who do have an interest in growing their businesses, I hope you come along for the ride.

Wishing you all much success!

Lou Serrano

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » August 8th, 2011, 3:56 pm

My work here is done.

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”