Needle thru arm

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
mrgoat

Needle thru arm

Postby mrgoat » July 27th, 2011, 6:03 am

Right. I got those little foil sachets (STAT) of the glue. Only problem is, the glue is crap compared to the Elmer's that came in the box when I got the trick.

I wanted to close with the effect, so applying the glue just before I do it, is great.

However, not this glue. (I am sure the glue is fine and it is my lack of experience with the effect, but it seems the other glue holds much better).

Anyhoo, any ideas about what I could do with the old glue.

I will be wearing a suit. Could I apply the glue off stage, do 15 minutes, then do the trick? It would obv stick to shirt a little but could it be sticky enough?

I tried putting the good glue into a pre ton sachet, but it dries up in the packet if there is air about into a rubbery mess.

Is there some awesome pro tip about covering it on your arm with cling film unit lyon perform? Should I just duck down behind the table and whack the Elmer's on whilst doing some hilarious and amusing patter?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Damian

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Re: Needle thru arm

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » July 27th, 2011, 9:47 am

From my experience Ross brand maintains its adhesiveness longer and bonds stronger than Elmers. All around Ross does the job better.
Here is the link:
http://www.rossglue.com/products/produc ... ories.id=3

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » July 27th, 2011, 10:07 am

Damian,

You can put the glue in a hydrogen peroxide bottle and apply it openly with a cotton ball under the pretext of sterilizing your arm. I believe that is how Harry Anderson did it.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » July 27th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Is this not the Harry Anderson's version? Any other is a rip off of Harry's routine as we all know.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2011, 2:31 pm

I believe Just Alan also applies the adhesive openly as part of the presentation. I might have published it in Genii. Can't remember!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » July 27th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Rick Ruhl wrote:Is this not the Harry Anderson's version? Any other is a rip off of Harry's routine as we all know.

Considering Harry Anderson's published comments on the concept of owning a routine (or at least my memory of them), that's a little funny.

DD

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 27th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Harry Anderson's version (including the way he applies the work) is detailed (and pictured) in Wise Guy, on page 134.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the write-up are Harry's thoughts on page 129 about others (and even himself) performing the routine.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 27th, 2011, 3:51 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I believe Just Alan also applies the adhesive openly as part of the presentation. I might have published it in Genii. Can't remember!

I think it's in Genii, November 2006.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » July 28th, 2011, 2:40 am

Dan Sperry is selling a non-toxic adhesive that works really well for this type of effect. It is the best that I have tried.

Daved

Postby Daved » July 28th, 2011, 3:04 am

Andrew Mayne has an excellent idea for applying on and getting the glue off your arm. It is all done "secretly" during your performance. Everything has a motivation.
Preparation is done before and can last for days without glue getting dried.
It is explained in Shock FX. For me it is worth a look.

The only problem is that it can appear a little less usable for those very formal show. It really depends on your character and attitude.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 28th, 2011, 8:10 am

Thanks guys!

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » July 31st, 2011, 3:28 pm

erdnasephile wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:I believe Just Alan also applies the adhesive openly as part of the presentation. I might have published it in Genii. Can't remember!

I think it's in Genii, November 2006.

You have a wonderful memory ;)

Page 71-72

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » July 31st, 2011, 3:28 pm

Doc Dixon wrote:
Rick Ruhl wrote:Is this not the Harry Anderson's version? Any other is a rip off of Harry's routine as we all know.

Considering Harry Anderson's published comments on the concept of owning a routine (or at least my memory of them), that's a little funny.

DD

LOL Doc, you are so right. We are talking about Harry here ;)

Return to “General”