Rose / Billiard Ball / Cane product questions

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Yano

Rose / Billiard Ball / Cane product questions

Postby Yano » July 8th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Hi I'm not very well read bout stage magic. But Im really looking forward to start learning it and buying some props. But I wanted to ask a few questions to guide me to get the best props possible with my money. Im also after some more modern teaching dvds if possible as well.

1. Appearing Canes, Disappearing Cane, Color Change Cane:
Metal or plastic which is better?
Which brands are good?

2. Rose/Flower Manipluation (Routines, The roses used for rose manipulation):
Curious if there are standards for manipulation roses for sale or not. Which brand?
Which brands or where can I buy the roses where the bud is removed and then back on the rose again
Are there vases for manipulation purposes? Or is it something I will have to come across myself?
Any rose manipulation dvds out there?

3. Top Hat stand (Basically hat that sits on a cane? The hat is removable).
Brand? Where can I get it?

4. Billiard ball manipulation:
Fakini or Mirage Billiard Balls? Quick one is better quality and better handling?
Any good teaching Dvds? Im kind of after a more modern style if possible, but willing to watch old dvds as well.
Any dvds that cover one hand, four ball production?

SteveP

Re: Rose / Billiard Ball / Cane product questions

Postby SteveP » July 10th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Regarding canes, metal ones are typically the best. It's been years since I've bought a cane, so I don't know who is the top manufacturer today. It used to be Walsh.

For top hat stand, you want a cane to table. Best one is available from Norm Nielsen:

http://nnmagic.com/magicitems/stagemagicpage_al.htm

Billiard Balls - Fakini is the standard for pros. I don't know about Mirage balls. By the largest ball you can handle - at least 2". 2 1/4" is the size of a snooker ball and 2 1/2" is the size of a real billiard ball.

The Fakini Balls are getting harder to find because they're no longer being made. They are always coming up for sale and Denny & Lee still sell them.

The best resource on DVD for learning Billiard Balls is from Levent:

http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/findit.pl?x_item=DA6165

But you may also want to check out Jeff McBride's work on it as well.

Yano

Postby Yano » July 11th, 2011, 4:39 am

Thanks really helped me alot to find the cane to table.

Also thanks i'll be getting fakini balls soon. Also seems like levent's dvd is the biggest resource out there for billiard balls?

SteveP

Postby SteveP » July 11th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Levent is amazing with the DVDs he puts out. Like his Miser's Dream DVDs, the Billiard Ball DVDs gives you everything you need - he goes over the different balls, shells, droppers, sleights and routines. He recreates several historic routines including Roy Benson's & Cardini's. You're not going to be at a loss for what to do with Billiard Balls after watching Levent's DVDs.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”