Tenyo Products

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Tenyo Products

Postby Guest » August 29th, 2002, 4:36 pm

Like Mr. Kaufman, I'm a huge Tenyo fan, and have been collecting their products for many years, although I'm sure my collection is quite small comparing to Mr. Kaufman's and Mr. Carbone's. Anyway, for all the Tenyo fans out there, I'm interested to know what are your top 5 favorite Tenyo products.

Here's my top 5 list:
5. Squeeze Play (T-87, 1977)
4. Crystal Cleaver (T-155, 1992)
3. Prison Box (T-202, 2002)
2. Invisible Zone (T-172, 1995)
1. Blue Crystal (T-198, 2000)

Worth mentioning: Elevator Coins (T-90, 1978), Midas Machine (T-109, 1981), Alpha Tunnel (T-117, 1984), Telesphere (T-127, 1986), Wandering Hole (T-96, 1979), Zig Zac Cig (T-110, 1981)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Tenyo Products

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 29th, 2002, 9:44 pm

Jackie, that's a tough list to make since there are so many great Tenyo tricks.
Here's my list of the top five Tenyo tricks that I like to do for people when they visit (and fry them, magicians AND laymen):
1) Vault Vision
2) Changing Card
3) Blue Crystal
4) Ultra Tube
5) Midas Machine
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 29th, 2002, 11:44 pm

It would open this topic up to a lot more people, I think, if you guys would tell us a little about each trick.

What's the effect?

Why is it your favorite?

Postby Guest » August 30th, 2002, 9:38 am

You're right, Richard. It's a tough task indeed.

Squeeze Play - I nominated it probably for more of a sentimental reason. It's my first Tenyo trick. I bought it soon after I saw Mark Wilson performed it on his TV show. I like its simplicity. Not gimmicky and totally examinable both before and after, therefore it fools them. (Just don't let them play with it for too long.)
http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic_en/catalog ... l#Anchor03

Crystal Cleaver - The effect is not new, but I love its method. I don't remember seeing this concept used elsewhere before.
http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic_en/catalog ... l#Anchor01

Prison Box - Another great item that is totally examinable both before and after the effect. It would be great if they'll come out a wooden version of it.

Invisible Zone - Go to the hot tips section and read the clay version by Mago Anton.
http://www.tenyo.co.jp/magic_en/catalog ... l#Anchor01

Blue Crystal - I appreciate it even more after I learned the secrets. I just smiled and shook my head as I was playing with the "toy."

RK's choices:
Vault Vision - Never seen it before, unfortunately.
Changing Card - I think you mean the Card Changer. I remember seeing it back in the 70's. At the time I wasn't planning to collect Tenyo products so I passed on it. :( Instead I bought Pendant which came out that same year - Jay Sankey uses the principle for one of his effects.
Ultra Tube - Same. Liked it a lot but didn't purchase it back then. :(
Midas Machine - Agree.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 30th, 2002, 4:59 pm

How in the name of all that is holy has no one mentioned the Zig Zag Cigarette? It's a killer!

A KILLER I TELLS YA!!!
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2002, 2:53 am

I think tenyo tricks are great EXCEPT...

a) they look like a magic prop
b) the look like a very cheap magic prop
c) they aren't a very cheap magic prop

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2002, 7:44 am

Originally posted by Nicholas J. Johnson:
I think tenyo tricks are great EXCEPT...

a) they look like a magic prop
b) the look like a very cheap magic prop
c) they aren't a very cheap magic prop
Somewhat agree but this is not what this topic is about.

It's fine if you don't like Tenyo products. I can understand. I don't use them in my 'real' peformances either, but I still like to collect them and appreciate the creativity behind each products. They stimulate ideas.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 31st, 2002, 7:21 pm

No question they look like magic props, and I would be VERY surprised if any full-time pro was using ANY Tenyo trick in his or her regular repertoire. They are still, however, frequently inspired in both effect and method, and have even, on occasion, introduced new magic principles that were subsequently applied to more organic props (off the top of my head, I know I have seen the Squeeze Play vanish with two playing cards and a die).

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 31st, 2002, 10:05 pm

Tenyo's tricks are made as a product to be sold over counters in department stores in Japan to laymen. The fact that a few of us in English-speaking countries also buy them is a plus, but I don't think we're the majority of their customers!
So, the tricks are not designed to be used by professional magicians. They are created for laymen of limited ability to fool other laymen. Many of them are so clever that they fool magicians as well. I am embarrased that I forgot to mention "Crystal Cleaver" as one of my favorites, but it is so well known that I tend not to do it for other magicians. I stick to the lesser known and/or seen items.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 31st, 2002, 11:03 pm

Originally posted by David Acer:
...I know I have seen the Squeeze Play vanish with two playing cards and a die.
And don't forget the trick that inspired the Perfect Pen.

Was it called the "Sliding Hole"?

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 1st, 2002, 7:09 am

Someone also published a brilliant addition to the the Zig Zag Cigarette whereby the center piece could be signed PRIOR to the restoration of the cigarette. If I'm not mistaken, it ran in Genii in the eighties.

David

P.S. The NINETEEN eighties.

David

P.P.S. A.D.

HighQ

Postby HighQ » September 1st, 2002, 7:52 am

My absolute favorite Tenyo is Twister. I didn't buy it for years because the method appeared so obvious to me. Boy, was I wrong! This trick works almost like a sucker effect. You put a pencil in the twister and twist the center a little. No big deal. It appears the pencil could be hidden in the flaired sides. Then you proceed to kill them when you turn the center of the pencil around 360 degrees. It blows away any theory they had and leaves them speechless!
Other favorites are;
Prison Box
Illusionarium
Squeeze Play
Super Spike
See Thru Card

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 1st, 2002, 10:16 am

Mike,
It's interesting that you mention "Twister" (originally called "Pencilla"). I've never thought it particularly deceptive, so the next time I have someone over I'll give it a try and see what kind of reaction I get.
David Acer mentioned "Zig Zag Cigarette," but like all tricks with cigarettes, most people frown slightly the minute you introduce the props. So, the version that I prefer is called "Clean Cut," which is a no-cigarette version using a piece of rope that seems to separate at any chosen spot. The problem with both tricks is that the prop itself seems highly suspicious to people, more so than other Tenyo tricks with odd-looking pieces of plastic--and I haven't figured out why.
The trick "Tri-sector" where you do Zig Zag with a borrowed and signed bill is quite mystifying, and the box there is way too deep for the trick, but that doesn't seem to matter as much.
I'll tell you one issue that hasn't come up yet that my wife often jokes about: Tenyo tricks often make some sort of sound at the wrong moment. A click or clack when there should be silence. Some tricks cannot be performed with any degree of mystery because of this. "Crystal Pyramid" is one of these: it's an ingenious gizmo, but goes click-clack at EXACTLY the wrong moment. Al Cohen told me that when he used to demonstrate it, he would tell people that to "listen for the magic sound." Ha!

Brad A._dup1

Postby Brad A._dup1 » September 2nd, 2002, 1:15 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Tenyo tricks often make some sort of sound at the wrong moment. A click or clack when there should be silence.
I'm unsure if the Crystal Pyramind is similar to the item I have... I think it's called the Crystal Box, or something to that degree.

A small red plastic box is introduced, along with a small stand that has a clear box on it. A ring is set on the lid of the clear box, and on top of that is placed a red ball.

The red plastic box is put on top of all of those itmes....
CLANK, SMASH, BANG, DING, CRUMBLE
....is what the audience hears.

Upon lifting the red plastic box, it is revealed that the ball is INSIDE the clear box, and the ring is still in its place!

Of course, the trick couldn't work without that noise.

My magic dealer told me to say that that is "the sound of magic" too!
-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2002, 2:21 am

I gather that Tenyo make a version of Paul Harris' Twilight.

Could anybody tell me what it's called, and/or offer any opinion on it as an effect?

Thanks,
Dave

PS - Oops, I almost forgot. In answer to the original question, far and away my favourite (UK spelling) Tenyo effect is Dynamic Coins. I also like Invisible Zone a lot. But in general, I don't like performing Tenyo effects, because they look like "trick" items. However, I really admire the ingenuity of Tenyo's inventors.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2002, 8:55 am

First, the trick that is referred to as Paul Harris' "Twilight" was created earlier by David Roth as part of his routine, "The Sleeve." It can be found in the Roth book. Showing a mirror so that it reflects a coin, then lifting the mirror to reveal the reflection made whole in the form of a second coin is David Roth's trick.
Now, to respond to your question: The Tenyo "automated" version is called "Eclipse." It is extremely clever and works on the same principle as the ancient coin slide (drawer in a sleeve that produces or vanishes or changes a coin).
Oh, Brad, that trick you're referring to is called "Dragon Altar," another Tenyo item best performed for the hard of hearing.

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2002, 9:05 am

Thanks Richard, much appreciated.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » September 2nd, 2002, 2:34 pm

I'm not familiar with a lot of the Tenyo items you folks mentioned, although Squeeze Play, was my first also. The one I do remember is "Eye of the Idol" (I think that's the name)Seems to me that with a slight reworking of the props this could be made into a great "for performance" effect.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana :cool:

Postby Guest » September 2nd, 2002, 7:56 pm

Originally posted by David Acer:
No question they look like magic props, and I would be VERY surprised if any full-time pro was using ANY Tenyo trick in his or her regular repertoire.
Dave, I'm not sure if Tenyo originated the trick, but doesn't Terry Seabrooke use What's Next?

Richard - I agree with you that Zic Zag Cig and Clean Cut look very gimmickky, but Sidetrack isn't too bad.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » September 2nd, 2002, 8:13 pm

Hi Jackie,

I had forgotten about "What's Next?". I'm not sure if it was originated by someone at Tenyo, although I do remember the version you're referring to (unless I'm mistaken, Norm Neilsen put one out too). But you're absolutely right - it's a great trick, and because it basically just looks like a big domino, it can be used in the real world without raising too many eyebrows.

Tomas Blomberg

Postby Tomas Blomberg » September 2nd, 2002, 11:41 pm

I've been a fan of Tenyo's products since I ages ago found them in a joke store in Stockholm. The first items I bought were Zig-Zag Cig, Squeeze Play and Diminishing Cards, but my all time favorites are

Lucifer's Lock: Very nice and convincing way to get an ungimmicked lock off a rope.

Invisible Zone: Just can't get over the nice illusion.

Blue Crystal: Well, anyone who has seen it knows why.

Krazy Keys: Brilliant combination of gaffs and sleight of hand. At all times the most suspicious key is examinable. Imagine a set of Krazy Keys made out of metal. I'd pay a ridiculus amount for that.

Match-Sticks: Here it's also a combo of gaffs and sleight of hand. This is something I actually use and the method is very inspiring. Imagine a set made out of ivory and jade instead of white and green plastic. Instead of numbers it'd look more genuine with four different mystical symbols on them.

Question: Would I be allowed to make me a set of Krazy Keys out of metal and a set of Match-Sticks from some other material (maybe two different types of wood)? I'd see myself performing them more often then.

/Tomas

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2002, 6:31 pm

To find out why Vault-Vision is one of Richard's favorite Tenyo products to show, I ordered one from Hank Lee. To my dismay, he sent me one made by Eddy's Magic, distributed by D. Robbins. Has Tenyo stopped distributing VV? At the least I expect a MB version. Bummer. :(

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 11th, 2002, 6:54 pm

Jackie, Tenyo still sells "Vault Vision" in Japan, but perhaps they've discontinued the English version. Either way, Eddy's Magic uses the original Tenyo molds for their authorized versions of the Tenyo tricks they sell, so it should be identical! Give the trick a try and you'll see why it's so great.
Tomas, isn't it interesting that the creator of the majority of items you mentioned (Invisible Zone, Blue Crystal, and Krazy Keys) is Lubor Fiedler? If you haven't tried his Diabolical Pen (I think that's the title) where a pen vanishes from inside a box, DO SO. It is brilliant, and watching what happens from the back is staggering.

Postby Guest » September 11th, 2002, 7:35 pm

Thanks, Richard. I feel much better now knowing that I purchased an authorized version.

The title of Lubor Fiedler's trick is Impossible Pen.

Tomas Blomberg

Postby Tomas Blomberg » September 11th, 2002, 9:15 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Tomas, isn't it interesting that the creator of the majority of items you mentioned (Invisible Zone, Blue Crystal, and Krazy Keys) is Lubor Fiedler?
Lubor is one of my favourite magical inventors and I try to buy everything by him I can come by. Unfortunately it's incredibly hard to find some items. Yup, I have the Pen trick by Lubor and it sure looks wild from the back. Didn't he make another Pen trick (possibly for Tenyo) where a Red, Blue and White pen are put in some cereal box and one of the pens just vanishes. Does anyone recognize this description and can tell me what it's called and maybe where it can be found?

Also, while speaking of Lubor Fiedler...does anyone know where I can find his A1 video where he has some really cool effects; A Floating Ashtray and a card visually appearing in a blue see-through envelope are some of the items I've been told are on that video.

Thanks in advance,

/Tomas

Return to “General”