Torn and Restored Card credit?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jeff.Prace

Torn and Restored Card credit?

Postby Jeff.Prace » June 18th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, does anyone know who the first person was to use a two cards stuck together with adhesive solely for the purpose of a torn and restored?

I learned it from John Mendoza, but I am unsure if he was the first.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? Thanks!

Jeff

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Torn and Restored Card credit?

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 18th, 2011, 4:45 pm

He was not the first. It goes back a long time.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » June 18th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Richard, are there any specific credits you can lead me to?

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » June 18th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Jeff.Prace wrote:Richard, are there any specific credits you can lead me to?

Shoot...I was just looking at an earlier reference for that the a few days ago. I'll have to see if I can relocate that. I'll let you know.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » June 18th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Some references are available on magicpedia http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/Tor ... tored_Card

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » June 18th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Was it Ralph Hull that did it, maybe?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » June 18th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Jim, is Hull's trick published anywhere?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 18th, 2011, 7:40 pm

I remember when the Karrell Fox "Signa-Tear" came out in the New Stars of Magic there was a lot of grumbling because it was an old method to which I don't think he added anything.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 18th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Are you asking about a deck of doubled cards where they name one as you spread the pack face up in your hands and proceed from there?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » June 18th, 2011, 10:07 pm

I am asking about a two of the same cards stuck together with adhesive used for a torn and restored card. This card can be forced on the spectator. Alternatively, you can have 26 of these cards made (assuming the pairs vary numerically and by suits) and have them select one freely, but that's beside the point.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 18th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Hofzinser has an item where two cards stuck together are used as the gaff to effect a restoration of a torn card in his routine The Three Powers. It's the last item detailed in the Fischer book.

The two cards are glued together. They see you tear "the card". The second card of the two permits you to later display a "restored" card. The restoration is very modern in approach and probably looked like the sort of visible reattachment that's gotten typical in routines where you bring over a piece of a card and it sticks to/attaches to the other(s) already assembled.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on June 18th, 2011, 10:51 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: details.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jeff.Prace

Postby Jeff.Prace » June 18th, 2011, 11:22 pm

I couldn't find a physical copy of that book for sale in my price range, but I downloaded the PDF from Lybrary. Indeed, it seems as if the double card with adhesive was used for a torn and restored card.

I am judging this not totally by the description, as I found it very difficult to understand. But the pictures do make it pretty clear what is being used.

I'll keep researching to see if anything predates this. I'd still love to hear what you guys know!

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » June 20th, 2011, 9:10 am

All the torn and restored cards I've seen in older books, going right back to Decremps in 1784, involve burning a card and restoring all but one missing corner, then showing a matching corner from a duplicate that fits. The idea of doing this with an extra flap to restore the corner seems to have started with Hofzinser's "Lappenkarte" or "Eck-Karte" (= flap card or corner card). It's not very clear in "Hofzinser's Card Conjuring" but is nicely explained with photos in Magic Christian's big book on Hofzinser. Other versions were described in Conradi's "Der moderne Kartenknstler" and Roterberg's "New Era Card Tricks", and also sold by magic dealers from at least the 1890s onwards.

For full restorations using two cards held together (not glued), there is the Ralph Hull routine mentioned earlier, which was in "More Eye Openers" (1933) and later in "The Testament of Ralph W. Hull" (1945). More recently there was Father Cyprian's Nostalgia Torn and Restored Card, which was based on the Hull trick.

Return to “General”