Performing the Multiplying Bottles.

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Themagicofcurtis

Performing the Multiplying Bottles.

Postby Themagicofcurtis » May 4th, 2011, 5:18 pm

The Multiplying Bottles is a classic in magic. I'm fully aware that I'm by no means the best performer with them, but I wanted to submit this video to you guys and ask for help on how to improve my routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyvddziMpk4

This isn't to be seen as a "oh look I've mastered this video", but one where I was competent in the routine to the point where I could go and perform this at a talent show. Thanks.

Curtis

Tom Stone

Re: Performing the Multiplying Bottles.

Postby Tom Stone » May 4th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Looks good!

Since you are asking for input, I have a few thoughts. Just subjective stuff, so take it with a grain of salt.

-At the start, there's some verbal motivation without action. Try and see if you can act first, and motivate later - sometimes that gives a better and more dramatic flow.

-Be aware of those passages where you say the identical thing both verbally and visually. For example (general example); if you put a bottle aside, then the action tells it visually, which makes it redundant to say it verbally as well . It usually becomes more interesting to say something that is just loosely related, which gives a different layer on top of the physical action.

-The "change & change back" gag is quite old. Even the smallest variation will make it feel more "fresh", so see if you can come up with something new - doesn't have to be big or wildly original, perhaps just a couple of different synonyms to a couple of the words you are using now.

-When using old lines or gags, see if you can take them a tiny step further than the standard. Like in the gag with "the distance from the glass to the bottle has to be the same distance as from the bottle to the glass." - maybe use a ruler or measuring tape... and when you measure the other way, the distance differs so that you have to move the glass a bit closer.

-Don't feel stuck with the traditional routine. There are *plenty* of stuff that can be done with the bottles, that no one has explored yet. Bring in some thinking from other areas of magic - compare with card tricks; with the bottles you can get almost automatic single, double and triple lifts. Compare with coin magic; there might be coin tricks with expanded shells that can be adapted for the bottles... etc. Any small idea will be considered to be revolutionary. :)

Themagicofcurtis

Postby Themagicofcurtis » May 4th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Thanks Tom! I just wanted to say I really liked your interview with Genii a while back.

I appreciate your thoughts. I tried to do this with a few lines of the basic routine that I changed slightly ("Glasses off or dyslexic", which I think is normally said either "consumed the contents of the bottle" or just "dyslexic"). But of course, there is always room for change and improvement, and you're the pro here =] I also developed this routine myself in areas, although of course some parts are textbook. Just in general with how it would go, although the overarching routine is the same as most.

I do appreciate the last thing you said about adaptations. I've never thought of that before.

Curtis

Sophia Feltro

Postby Sophia Feltro » May 4th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Tom Stone wrote: At the start, there's some verbal motivation without action. Try and see if you can act first, and motivate later - sometimes that gives a better and more dramatic flow.

Nice reactions from the crowd.

Just to add to Tom's remark above, trying reacting to the appearances of the bottles and see how that works (don't overdo it of course). If you are equally surprised/amused by the extra productions of the bottles (perhaps maybe even flustered by their appearances), your "motivation" of setting aside the extra bottles will add an element of conflict to the distressing and confounding series of events that follow (which may add more interest and build-up to what you are doing).

Also, try pausing every once in a while during the beginning as you banter with the crowd. Don't forget your periods and punctuation marks to space-out what your doing and saying (Vernon). That way, there is a build-up and momentum to the upcoming multiple productions when they finally do happen. Build it up. I get the impression that the flow is a flat line that already feels heightened from the very beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3c1h8v2ZQ

http://www.troubling.info/vonnegut.html

Kardova

Postby Kardova » May 4th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Slaughterhouse-Five Excerpt read by Alec Baldwin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw6e4wqtjCE

Punctuation Tips from a Pro

Themagicofcurtis

Postby Themagicofcurtis » May 6th, 2011, 11:32 am

Thanks guys. I'll check out your links you dropped me as well =]

Curtis

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » May 6th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Tom, your comment on adapting effects made me realize that Dean Dill's "Explosion" is the multiplying bottles done with coins. Not really relevant here, I'm just sayin'.

Curtis, in addition to the fine advice above, here's what I saw:

-At the end, you're shooting for a clear display of a tableful of bottles, so make sure the tubes aren't blocking anyone's view of that. You've also got a large table, so to create the impression of fullness, you've got to spread the bottles out, or use a smaller table.

-Here's a new effect idea I've been playing with: suppose you're introducing a new drinking game called "Shot in the dark". You've got three tubes, and one of them has the glass in it. If they find the glass, they win a drink. As you move the covered glass around, it's clear that it makes noise, so you put bottles in the other two tubes to compensate. The rest is obvious, but this presentation allows you an extra set of gaffs, making the end display that much bigger.

-The most important part of your communication with the audience is any part where they do something at your request. If you ask them to all yell something, and it's clear from the effect, and your manner, that it really doesn't matter what they do, then they'll get the feeling that you're wasting their time and effort. Even if the request is intended to be a toungue-in-cheek gag, you should respond to their response. They're doing something for you, it's rude to ignore it.

All in all, good first outing.

Themagicofcurtis

Postby Themagicofcurtis » May 11th, 2011, 11:22 am

Tom is a guy full of amazing thoughts haha.

I think your remark about the end display is well motivated. It's certainly something that needs some work. Thanks for the understanding that this is not a finished product =]

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 11th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Look up Denny Haney's version on you tube. Or Nick Lewin's. They are the closest to Ken Brooke's. It looks like you have the Indian set of two nests of four. If you can afford it you should try to get three nests of three.
Stay tooned.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 11th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Denny's routine is a lesson in great acting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KinKTSsaA
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

wkitwizard

Postby wkitwizard » June 1st, 2011, 3:56 pm

Take your natural charm and continue to "polish" this until it is super smooth.
Good job.
wk

Return to “Link Watch”