Decorating with Magic

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Tony Rush

Decorating with Magic

Postby Tony Rush » April 16th, 2011, 6:50 pm

I work from home and I've never really gotten around to decorating my office since we moved into this house.

But, I'm thinking decorating with magic will be a nice way to personalize my area.

I'm thinking about framing some of the older posters and magic advertisements....but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions.

If you've pictures you can post, that's even better.

Tony

---
Note to mods: I didn't know where to put this post. If it belongs in another area of the forum, please assist me. Thanks!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Decorating with Magic

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 16th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Norm Nielson sells beautiful reproductions of the best stone-lithos from the golden age of magic. They would brighten up your office.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 16th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Dover has just published a collection of Magic Posters and includes a CD-ROM of the images in color so you can print them out. Here's discounted Amazon link, a real bargain (you can buy two or more copies and cut them out if you like the smaller size):
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Magic-Poste ... 508&sr=8-1

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 17th, 2011, 2:15 am

Thank you Richard! This looks tremendously cool. Costco now offers a tremendous range of poster-size prints, sizes and qualities, all at extremely low prices.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 29th, 2011, 7:24 pm

It has come to my attention that the Dover book of magic posters which I enthusiastically recommended earlier in this thread may be in violation of copyright so I can no longer recommend its purchase until this matter is clarified.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 29th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Hmm...curious about which of these images could possibly be out of the public domain. Unless it's in regard to where they got the images? I look forward to knowing the details.

Thanks Dick!
Dustin

Doc Dixon

Postby Doc Dixon » April 29th, 2011, 9:11 pm

I'd recommend you choose pieces that have a personal meaning to you.

I've got some of the usual stuff -- a reproduction of Selbit's Mighty Cheese -- swell, but personal stuff -- like the signed 8X10 of one of my favorite people in magic, Eddie Ace -- that's the stuff that means the most.

Figure out what's important to you and go with it.

Doc

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 30th, 2011, 12:28 am

Dustin Stinett wrote:Hmm...curious about which of these images could possibly be out of the public domain. Unless it's in regard to where they got the images? I look forward to knowing the details.

Thanks Dick!
Dustin

Take a look at the Thurston poster which includes an image of Jane. That particular copy is autographed by Jane and my understanding is that it is unique and the owner did not authorize its use. Which leaves the provenance of the other images in doubt as well. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know exactly how ownership of a work of art (such as these) translates into ownership of an image, but the contention is that this book would not exist in its present form were it not for the Taschen book, and Taschen and the contributors to that work did not authorize Dover's use of their images.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » April 30th, 2011, 3:09 am

If they had scanned or photographed the originals posters, there wouldn't be an issue. But to scan the images from the Taschen book is a copyright violation.

For example, i can take pictures of the Mona Lisa... Not a copyright violation. But if someone was to reproduce the photograph I took, then my copyright has been violated. Photography in some museums is prohibited so that the museum can generate revenue by licensing the photos they took of the artwork. If you're blocked from taking a photo, then the only way to get an image of the painting is to license a photo from the museum.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 30th, 2011, 3:30 am

Yikes. Many--if not all--of these images are available through the Library of Congress. I would think Dover would know better than to violate copyright law. They live in the public domain.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » April 30th, 2011, 8:08 am

Looks like it might be an issue with other folks using that same image.

If you zoom in, you can see the signature on this site selling images of that poster too:
http://www.zazzle.com/thurston_magician ... 8604506308
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”