Ricky Jay cups?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Tony Rush

Ricky Jay cups?

Postby Tony Rush » April 22nd, 2011, 1:26 pm

I've got a set of spun-copper Charlie Miller cups that I bought from Magic Inc. years ago and I love them. But, I'd love to have a set with a chop cup included.

Any suggestions of favorites? Anyone know what kind Ricky Jay uses in his cup routine "The History Lesson"?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Ricky Jay cups?

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 22nd, 2011, 2:29 pm

Pretty sure he uses Paul Fox cups.

Tony Rush

Postby Tony Rush » April 22nd, 2011, 5:20 pm

Dustin, naturally I've heard of Paul Fox cups since about 5 minutes after getting interested in the cups and balls....but no idea where to buy them. I was under the impression they were no longer made?

Sorry for the rookie question. I ought to know, I suppose.

Tony

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 22nd, 2011, 9:24 pm

Paul Fox cups haven't been made for many years. The cups sold by Magic Inc., the so-called "Charlie Miller Cups," were actually Ross Bertram's design.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mike P

Postby Mike P » April 23rd, 2011, 12:10 am

Paul Fox cups are made by RNT2 now. contact Donnie there and inquire.
He also makes a solid Paul Fox cup.
The newer ones differ a bit from the "Vintage" Danny Dew cups but they are very close.
He also has the John Schweid cups which look very similar to the Paul Fox cups and could be considered so close they are copies.
They are also a little different than the original Danny Dew/Paul Fox cups.
Both are very nice sets.
I do not know if he makes them Chopped as I have not asked.
Bill Palmer would be able to tell you the little details better than I also.
Mike

Tony Rush

Postby Tony Rush » April 23rd, 2011, 11:05 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Paul Fox cups haven't been made for many years. The cups sold by Magic Inc., the so-called "Charlie Miller Cups," were actually Ross Bertram's design.
Yeah, I know. Why did the wrong moniker get attached?

Tony

Dave V

Postby Dave V » April 23rd, 2011, 12:58 pm

I think it was more of a "tribute" to Bertram than a direct copy. There are too many differences to be considered a "copy"

I think Magic Inc. needed something to sell and were able to get Miller's name as an endorsement. I don't know the full story, but I'm sure somebody here does.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

David Ben

Postby David Ben » April 23rd, 2011, 3:03 pm

Ross Bertram gave Jay permission to do a couple of sets. He did not imagine that they were going to go into full scale production on the cups. There are differences in the sets, mostly because of the sub-standard spinning by Magic Inc. Ross did not like the quality, and did not want his name associated with them. Ross had also given cups to Faucett Ross and Charlie Miller. I imagine that Miller was in and out of Chicago around the time and he certainly used, at one time, the cups. Jay called them the Miller Cups. That's the story in the short form.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 23rd, 2011, 5:24 pm

Tony Rush wrote:I've got a set of spun-copper Charlie Miller cups that I bought from Magic Inc. years ago and I love them. But, I'd love to have a set with a chop cup included.

Any suggestions of favorites? Anyone know what kind Ricky Jay uses in his cup routine "The History Lesson"?

Hi, Tony:

IMHO, the best, readily available combo cups set would be the Johnson Products Cups/Chop Cup. They are a bit spendy (although not nearly as much as the really high end stuff), and their quality is superb. They are widely available and I think they would probably fulfill Mr. Miller's admonition to use "a man's cup!"

SteveP

Postby SteveP » April 23rd, 2011, 6:07 pm

The Charlie Miller Cups were reborn as Tom Frank's Phoenix Cups. Slightly modified design. RNT2 spins them now. The ones that Tom originally put out were spun in China.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”