A. C. Clarke on magic - en Francais - m'aidez

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Jonathan Townsend

A. C. Clarke on magic - en Francais - m'aidez

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 13th, 2011, 11:31 am

Hello,

This is a request to our French readers. I am seeking a couple of paragraphs from the French version of the book "Profiles of the Future" first edition.

I am working on a short essay about Clarke's position on the topic and notion of magic.

The well known quote about "sufficiently advanced technology" was introduced to the book as a footnote in the second edition in English in response to his finding that the French edition listed as Second Law his line about advancing the realm of the possible. I would like to see this line from the French edition about his second law in context.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Perhaps as a show of gratitude I could learn a proper Tourniquet coin pass if shown what should be happening. Still at a loss when studying the Robert-Houdin description.

Bill Mullins

Re: A. C. Clarke on magic - en Francais - m'aidez

Postby Bill Mullins » April 13th, 2011, 5:55 pm

JT -- you may find THIS to be of use.

Likewise THIS, THIS, or

Jonathan Townsend

Re: A. C. Clarke on magic - en Francais - m'aidez

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 14th, 2011, 8:40 am

Thanks Bill,

I'll probably have to get the 1967 speech reference from somewhere as well.

I have the hardbacks of the three editions of the book in English. In them I've put postits where he mentions the notion of magic. The third edition, where he got the original text scanned in to work from rather than ammend by way of footnotes and maginalia, has been a tougher read to check the changes before stating an opinion. So far he seems stay with "obvious violation of the laws of physics".

Still like to get the context of the French addition/edition :)

Jon

Return to “Alternative Media”