Book that works as Himber type Wallet?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Jonathan Townsend

Book that works as Himber type Wallet?

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 12th, 2011, 1:22 pm

IE you can "open" the book from either end and flip through the pages...

This came about during some frustrating efforts to make a flip book. After starting to stick an addition onto each page of a signature and then cut the right tab configuration onto that addition, the signature was not flat anymore but wedge shaped with the page ends much thicker at the free edge than at the center - and an idea occurred. Affixing two such wedges in opposite directions to one cover and to each other in the middle one has a book which can be somewhat freely displayed by flipping pages from either end. I expect that a loose flap attached to either side of the book would cover the pages on one side while it's counterpart would be folded under the bottom edge of the other side as the loose pages are displayed on that side.

I'm seeking some help to get this made nicely - or if anyone's done this before a contact to ask nicely for the item.

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on April 12th, 2011, 1:24 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: may as well tip the idea for the edge flap and get it all out in one post.

Max Maven

Re: Book that works as Himber type Wallet?

Postby Max Maven » April 12th, 2011, 5:07 pm

The basic idea was released by U. F. Grant as "The Tale of Fifteen Cities" in 1955.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 12th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Thanks Max, is the item on the market or have a designated builder? I'd like to have some fun with such a book for some tricks and don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » April 12th, 2011, 8:20 pm

It was marketed around 1957, but has been unavailable for a very long time. However, if you track down "U. F. Grant's Fabulous Feats of Mentalism" (which is not difficult to locate), it is described in there.

Mind you, I haven't bothered to locate my copy to check to see how clear the written description is. I do own the marketed prop, and it works quite well.

Return to “Reference Room”