Some new topics

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Some new topics

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2006, 9:07 pm

In light of all the interesting input on philosophy, I wonder how many of you bright guys would like to talk about John. W. Campbell Jr. Let's hear about the first sights about Dianetics, psionics. and even the Richard Shaver mysteries.

Too far from magic? Thst was the point about my post about how you guys were into so many interesting things. I understand if you all really all want to talk just about magic. I can talk about magic for years, but let's face it - there are many more interesting things than magic and the best and brightest of you know that to be true.

Re: Some new topics

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Originally posted by Vernon's son:
In light of all the interesting input on philosophy, I wonder how many of you bright guys would like to talk about John. W. Campbell Jr. Let's hear about the first sights about Dianetics, psionics. and even the Richard Shaver mysteries.

Too far from magic? Thst was the point about my post about how you guys were into so many interesting things. I understand if you all really all want to talk just about magic. I can talk about magic for years, but let's face it - there are many more interesting things than magic and the best and brightest of you know that to be true.
Maybe your input on those subjects would be well received on forums dedicated to them. This is a magic forum. So magic is what we are interested in discussing here. (Mainly!)

Although there are more intersting subjects than magic, in your position as the son of argualbly the greatest card magician ever, the members here are interested in you based on that. I have no doubt you could talk eloquently on other subjects, but maybe Genii is the best place for that insight?

RK, feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this. I often am... :)

Damian

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2006, 11:10 pm

I can talk about magic if that is all you are interested in. Too bad you missed so much.

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2006, 11:21 pm

I promised some interesting stuff about Dr. Daley and I will deliver it. Too bad you have no interest in the zillion things of interest beyond magic. There is a whole universe of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with a pack of 52 stupid cards. And if Rickey Jay is listening -- I say it to him as well.

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2006, 11:44 pm

Too bad you have no interest in the zillion things of interest beyond magic. There is a whole universe of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with a pack of 52 stupid cards.
I'd be interested to know how you came to be so interested in old radios. ;)

Regards . .

It is indeed a big and wonderful world. But Genii ain't Google.

If I wanted to discuss writing, for example, I think I could find a place better suited to that conversation. But you can be assured there are people here on Genii that I'd invite to join me if I found such a site.

I promised you some good stuff and you will get it. Don't count on me to entertain you guys -- some of you make me sick. (you know who you are)

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 2:50 am

I cannot believe that many of you are so narrow minded that you refuse to talk about anything except magic. I thought you were better than that. The people I respected among the magic community had broader interests. That's what made them interesting. Some of you guys seem brain dead. There is a whole universe out there beyond magic. You all came here because we shared a common interest, but don't block out the rest of the world. I may not have understood all the stuff that was talked about on the philosophical turn of this forum, but I SURE ENJOYED READING IT. Please don't stop at "Take a card." I do understand that this is a forum dedicated to magic and I realize that's what you guys come here to share with the rest of us who love magic.I would just like to point out that there is more to life than magic.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » October 17th, 2006, 4:41 am

we know there is more to life, but there are other fora as well. I'd like to talk about many things from Origami to Skydiving, but this is not the place. Just because we keep discussions to the relevant board does not make us narrow minded.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 5:15 am

Many folks live with the belief that algebra is about numbers and that one learns elementary geometry to get good at drawing lines and triangles.

Can you blame them for not understanding how the placebo effect is related to what makes a false transfer (and its sleight) effective? Especially after they've been affixed with such an effective set of blinders.

Who says everyone needs to reconcile the doings with the meanings?

In all fairness though, discussing performance pieces where elements of ANYONE's religious practices or beliefs are apparently manifested and manipulated would be in poor taste and we agreed to avoid such things here.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 5:15 am

I cannot believe that many of you are so narrow minded that you refuse to talk about anything except magic. I thought you were better than that.
I've enjoyed reading everything you've written so far, but this is a pretty insulting thing to say to a large group of people you don't even know. I can only hope it illustrates a misunderstanding of the purposes of an online forum like this.

Speaking for myself, I have a wide range of interests, hobbies, and pursuits outside magic - music, theatre, politics, philosophy, astronomy, my faith, etc. - and would have a wonderfully rich and enjoyable life with my friends and family even if I never performed another magic trick. That said, none of my other interests are particularly relevant topics in this conjurors' forum.

Perhaps I missed the humor in your post and if so, please forgive me. Not being "in" on the joke, it simply sounded rude and condescending, and based on what I had read so far, I thought you were better than that.

JMT

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 5:50 am

I cannot believe that many of you are so narrow minded that you refuse to talk about anything except magic. I thought you were better than that. The people I respected among the magic community had broader interests. That's what made them interesting. Some of you guys seem brain dead.
I have been a regular reader of the Genii forum for quite some time and was very excited to discover your contributions. I even started reading more often to see what you had to say.

I am sad to say that my opinion of you has been going downhill over the past few weeks. Truth be told, I prefer not to read your posts if they will turn into random attacks on your readers and the members of this forum.

Instead, I will wait patiently for David Bens second volume of the Vernon biography. I'm sure Mr. Ben can contribute something that you seem to be lacking. A touch of class.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 6:30 am

I cannot believe that many of you are so narrow minded that you refuse to talk about anything except magic. ...
We discuss many other things. Just not all together or here.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 7:13 am

Derek-

As you can see you are fighting a losing battle with some of these guys!

It is obvious, by the reactions from the people on this thread that they only want to talk about what they have deemed MAGIC to be.

I think that having Derek on this forum is a GOLDEN opportunity.

Am I alone in thinking this?

Let the man talk. Even if he wants to talk about doing his laundry or eating breakfast! Not because he is Vernon's Son...but because he is a LINK...to OUR history...and in case you guys haven't noticed OUR links are quickly DYING OFF!

Don't push this one away!!!

Good golly when somebody, anybody wants to talk about topics that are SOOO obviously related to our field...WHY shoot them down before they have even begun?

Where is the LOVE? For ANYBODY? Not just Derek!

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 7:20 am

I think it's the way he does it, Mr Murphy.

He accused me of "missing the point" and "blackening the memory of Dai Vernon" in one of his previus posts. I don't think I did either. I have nothing against him or his posts on here (and certainly nothing against his father, who is one of my heroes).

I kept silent for a long while, and after I was banned I kept silent again, feeling that I had made enough of my point and that I didn't want to bring the forum down to the level of a street brawl.

But just READ some of the posts on this thread alone. It is the WAY he speaks to us, about us.... we're right here in the room, Mr Verner, we can hear you... does no one else feel the tiniest bit patronised or insulted?

Well, clearly SOME do now.... I was beginning to wonder if it was only me.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 7:21 am

Originally posted by P.T. Murphy:

Let the man talk. Even if he wants to talk about doing his laundry or eating breakfast!
I'm fine with that. It's the random insults that I could do without.

Vernon's son = TROLL

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 7:58 am

Coming to a magic site and being derided for talking about (gasp) magic is absurd. Sure, we all have interests outside of magic, and those interests often enter the discussions here, sometimes directly, more often peripherally. However, if I came here and talked exclusively about some of the things that interest me like politics or the paranormallot of seeming overlap in those two subjects these days Id probably be asked to leave. I save those discussions for people more in tune with what I might wish to say.

I also hope this is some sort of misunderstanding. But respect is a two way street.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 10:29 am

Here's a new topic:

Why do people go to a Chinese restaurant and get upset that they don't offer spaghetti ?

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 11:12 am

An interesting question since it is argued that the Chinese invented the noodle.

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » October 17th, 2006, 11:23 am

I have no problem discussing non-magic issues on a magic forum. Of course, it is clear that the magic topics should dominate.

But where else except a magic site are you able to learn what the community of magicians thinks about various non-magical affairs that may be of interest to all?

I'm interested in knowing what magicians think about religion, science, politics, non-magical arts (e.g., silhouette cutting), etc. I'm curious to see if the opinions of the magic community on these topics are in agreement or disagreement with the larger population.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Well, I seem to have succeeded in making most of you angry. My remarks were rude and I spoke out of turn. My only excuse is that I should stay off the internet when I am drinking. From here on out, I will try harder to stay on topic and on the wagon. My own brother won't even talk to me when I am on the sauce.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 3:45 pm

Now I'm guilt ridden thinking I'm the guy who makes you sick!
Steve V

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » October 17th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Okay, Derek, you brought Dianetics up out of the blue. Is there some reason for that? Did you or your Dad ever meet Hubbard, are there any stories you have to relate on that subject?

You mentioned John W. Campbell Jr. .... sure, tell us about him. Also, just today I came to realise that Frederick Pohl (another SF writer) published some magic effects.

So did you ever meet Pohl, and have you any stories about him?

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 4:56 pm

posted October 17, 2006 04:41 AM |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we know there is more to life, but there are other fora as well. I'd like to talk about many things from Origami to Skydiving, but this is not the place. Just because we keep discussions to the relevant board does not make us narrow minded.

Take care, Ian

Now here is a good example of what I WAS TALKING ABOUT. As someone with a love of language (I even have a degree or two in the subject) I am so impressed by this post. I knew that media and data were plural. Now I learn that the plural of forum is not forums but "fora. Thanks.
posted October 17, 2006 04:41 AM |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take care, Ian lural

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Apparently I have offended a good many of you. It doesen't really matter because I AM OLD AND EXPECT TO BE DEAD SOON. I came here to share the memories of twenty or thirty years of New York magic. Some of you seem interested, others would rather fight. Which camp are you in?

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Apparently I have offended a good many of you. It doesen't really matter because I AM OLD AND EXPECT TO BE DEAD SOON. I came here to share the memories of twenty or thirty years of New York magic. Some of you seem interested, others would rather fight. Which camp are you in?
I don't think you've offended many, if any. You've just made poeple unsure about who you are. You post 5 lines at a time, not really telling any detailed stories. You seem to be a little agressive. You change how you refer to your Father all the time. Vernon, the Professor, Dai, etc. And then you post confessing to being pickled when you post.

I think people are just a little confused. Not offended.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Interesting that you brought up Campbell's name as he was one of the more seminal figures in what is considered to be the "Golden Age of Science Fiction."

I reprinted a number of his letters in the last book I wrote. He was bright and extremely generous with his writers, freely giving them ideas that they took and turned into classics. He was instrumental in the early careers of Asimov and van Vogt and a number of others.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 17th, 2006, 6:30 pm

I will repeat this for mr goat's benefit: "Vernon's son" is Derek Verner, son of Dai Vernon. Period.

Derek is subject to the same humain frailties as the rest of us--do not expect some superhero to land on the Genii Forum and answer every question you ever had about his father in as clear and concise a way as you would like.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 6:37 pm

I have been very impressed with the high level of intelligence that I have been defended with here. I said some nasty things and I don't deserve any defense. But by God, I am so glad to have you in my camp. Thanks to the magis who went beyond "Take a card."

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 6:54 pm

I do find it odd that bronxman can be back in no time at all after he was kicked off as newyorker.I am perfectly willing to exchange posts with this guy and am sorry Richard felt the need to ban him. He certainly has the right to feel however he does. I need not to be protected from his likes and I welcome his appearance back on line with a new name.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 8:17 pm

Well, I seem to have succeeded in making most of you angry. My remarks were rude and I spoke out of turn. My only excuse is that I should stay off the internet when I am drinking. From here on out, I will try harder to stay on topic and on the wagon. My own brother won't even talk to me when I am on the sauce.
I'd say 5 hours of drinking is a bit excessive. Good to hear you've sobered. In addition to the Magical Arts, I like collecting stamps.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Originally posted by mrgoat:
Originally posted by mrgoat:
[qb]
Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
[qb] I will repeat this for mr goat's benefit: "Vernon's son" is Derek Verner, son of Dai Vernon. Period.
As you have said and as I am aware. I was trying to explain how he had agitiated people and explaining what I thought were the reasons.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 1:22 am

I don't expect to please everyone here and I don't plan to even try. All I said was I would stop bawling you out for wanting to talk only about magic. This is a forum for those interested in magic. What kind of nut comes here and complains that everyone only wants to talk magic?

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 1:42 am

I promised you stuff about Dr Daley but I plan to take my time because along with Sam Margulies, he was the most important person in the life of Dai Vernon. If you want to get the info from me you are going to have to put up with my peculiarities. The rest of you are free to ignore all my posts.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 8:03 am

mr verner/vernon,

are you in ill health that you expect to die soon? just because you are in your seventies doesnt mean your going to die, if your in good health anyway.

nobody should give there opinion when "on the sause".

lighten up and have some fun, thats what magic is all about. looking forward to more of your stories. take care, brian.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 8:50 am

I expect to die soon because I have had two stents recently intalled in my heart arteries. Everyone else I knew with heart problems, even those who had quadrupal bypasses, died within a few years of their original diagnosis. I thought that because my father lived to be 98 in perfect health -- I could do the same. I was wrong.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 9:20 am

What would you like to tell us about?

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 10:15 am

Mr Verner,

I was wondering if your dad came from a long line of people living into their 80's and 90's?

Take care.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 10:25 am

Here is my opinion,

A magic forum is for magic and related topics. If you want to talk about other things such as literature or language, or whatever, go somewhere else. Form a google group and talk about it there.

As for the harsh posts against all of the forum members, I don't care who you are, if you disrespect people you don't even know, i can care less what you have to say.

Thats the way i feel anyway.

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2006, 11:21 am

I yank no chains. I speak the truth as I know it. You no likee what I say -- you don't have to listen. One of the nice things about the internet is that it is optional.

Return to “General”