Whatever became of James Lewis?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Whatever became of James Lewis?

Postby erdnasephile » April 1st, 2011, 9:36 pm

I was just reviewing James Lewis' excellent video, "Million Dollar Mysteries" and was wondering if he were still in magic.

(There is also an interesting note at the end of the tape that he was planning a book with L & L for release in 1993.)

Finally, I've not come accross any of the particular coin purses he uses in his routines--has anyone ever found a source for these? (Will the leather Goshman's work for the U.P.S. he describes?)

Frank Yuen

Re: Whatever became of James Lewis?

Postby Frank Yuen » April 2nd, 2011, 12:10 am

Here you go:

Ton Onosaka purse

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » April 2nd, 2011, 12:12 am

Not sure if this is the one, it's been a while since I've seen the video.

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Access ... n__855.htm

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 2nd, 2011, 3:08 am

I see James at the Magic Castle every now and again. In fact I expect to see him this Sunday. (I'm presuming we're talking about the same guy!)

Dustin

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 2nd, 2011, 6:44 am

Thanks, guys!

Frank: I noticed that Steven's carries both the medium and large with the required internal clasp--I've never seen these in person--do you know what size James uses?

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » April 2nd, 2011, 9:15 am

I'm fairly certain that it is the large based on the photos of the two on the Steven's site and what I remember on the video.The regular size seems to be a slightly different shape.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 2nd, 2011, 11:26 am

Thanks, Frank. I watched the video again and compared the pics and it's really hard to say--my local dealer doesn't carry them, so I can't check myself.

Dustin: if you happen to see James (and if it's not too much trouble) would you mind confirming with him what size Onosaka purse he uses please for his U.P.S.?

Many thanks!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 2nd, 2011, 2:04 pm

I just wrote it down so I won't forget.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 2nd, 2011, 4:38 pm

I just spoke with James (he will not be at the MC tomorrow) and he has an answer for you. Ill do the best I can to get his points across (paraphrasing):

The purse I used isnt made anymore, but it was the mid-sized purse. There were small, medium, and larger sizes. What made the mid-sized purse perfect was that the hinge, instead of being in the middle of the purse, was at the one-third point. Also the pocket was shallower, so the coins inside were visible when the purse was open. Thats a key point for the switch.

I hope that helps you (and so does James)! And by the way, he is doing quite well and of course hes still very involved in magic.

Dustin

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 2nd, 2011, 5:01 pm

That's awesome, Dustin! Many thanks to you and James!

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » April 6th, 2011, 6:23 am

These are the purses you need for James'routine:

http://www.stevensmagic.com/index.php?m ... _id=111626

When I performed at the Castle in 2001 I did a routine that used the same purse(s). James, having seen my routine, showed me his routine but did not explain. It kept me wondering...

After finishing my week at the Castle, Tommy Wonder said he got a present from James for me. It was his video which explained everything. The switch improved my routine a lot!

One of those moments where you discover that instant gratification (in terms of learning a secret) is not the best option. Both Tommy and James knew that.

I have fond memories of that lesson and of James' friendly and thoughtful approach.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 6th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Dan:

Are you sure it is the LARGE size that are correct? I went back to the video after reading what Dustin wrote above and it really does seem the medium (regular) size are the way to go for the reasons James mentions above.

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » April 6th, 2011, 5:11 pm

I can assure you the purses that you see in the link I provided are the right ones. Forget about the name (medium or large). That is confusing (maybe even wrongly named).

If you look at Stevens' site you will see one picture showing 3 different sizes. Those are NOT the ones you want for James Lewis' switch. It is the one depicted on the different photo.

I am sure about it because I have all 4 types purses that are shown on Stevens.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”