That magic moment

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Jonathan Townsend

That magic moment

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 30th, 2011, 8:41 am

This is about the moment when someone figures out something in drama - the penney drops - understanding dawns.

In magic that tends to be avoided when the focus is on the clever performer who sets forth a claim up front or travels on the wings of caprice to go about their magical happenings.

But what if we let them enjoy that moment ... ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog ... enny-drops

Jim Maloney

Re: That magic moment

Postby Jim Maloney » March 30th, 2011, 10:26 am

You mean like how Tommy Wonder ended his Ambitious Card routine?

I think Tamariz/Ascanio have written about this...
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 30th, 2011, 11:23 am

I don't have direct access to the wonder videos here at the moment - is this in his books of wonder or his lecture notes? - if so what page?

Probably easier to cite Aristotle on the notion, leading the horse to water before it knows it's thirsty - the audience in this case. :)
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on March 30th, 2011, 11:28 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: citations - or else.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 30th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Wonder places a ring box on the table, then begins his Ambitious Card routine. He lets the audience make the connection for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrApPgoWZqE

It's written up in Books of Wonder vol 1, p 141.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 30th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Thanks for both the link and the citation. Watching, it seems to me that he builds toward what could be that sort of moment - then at about 5:10 takes a turn for the "but now clever me..." when he explicitly states the claim (that specific card could not be in the deck from the start -lucky card in box) and after that, IMHO, there's no realization for the audience beyond verification of the claim (it was there all along).

Not a criticism of TW or his routine, just not convinced that routine makes use of the notion in question.

Return to “Alternative Media”