MYSTERIOUS BROOKS, THE MAN WHO FORGOT H E KNEW HOUDINI'S SECRETS

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
houdini's ghost

MYSTERIOUS BROOKS, THE MAN WHO FORGOT H E KNEW HOUDINI'S SECRETS

Postby houdini's ghost » May 2nd, 2010, 12:43 am

I have put up a page of photos of George "The Mysterious" Brooks:
http://www.houdinisghost.com/goldstein.html
He is mysterious, too, but I'm getting closer to the truth about him.
Patrick Culliton

houdini's ghost

Re: MYSTERIOUS BROOKS, THE MAN WHO FORGOT H E KNEW HOUDINI'S SECRETS

Postby houdini's ghost » May 3rd, 2010, 5:53 pm

The truth is that Walter B. Gibson who had known Houdini's assistant George Brooks pretty well thought that "Mysterious Brooks" later in his life used the name Larry Lewis.
Walter had interviewed Brooks whose real name was Lewis Goldstein for his book "Houdini's Fabulous Magic."
He thought he recognized "Larry Lewis" the 100 year old jogger as Lewis Goldstein and he told me, Milbourne Christopher, Sid Radner and others that Larry Lewis was Lewis Goldstein.
In the 33 years since Walter told me that, I have told 900 people that Larry Lewis and Lewis Goldstein were one and the same.
They weren't.
Lewis Goldstein was born April 19, 1886 in London and died in March, 1970. He worked for Houdini from 1903 until 1917.
Larry Lewis said he met Houdini when they were in Ringling Bros circus in the 1880s (Houdini was six in 1980). Larry said Houdini died in his arms at the Temple Theatre in Detroit in 1927. He said he assisted Houdini for 33 years.
Larry was, apparently 100+ years old when he was saying this. I have never been able to corroborate anything he said. The California death index says he was born in Arizona (territory) on
June 21, 1867. The social security death index gives his birthdate as June 25, 1871.
I can't find Larry Lewis anywhere in Houdini's life or career--as opposed to Lewis Goldstein, who was with Houdini for 14 years.

DLCPhoto

Postby DLCPhoto » March 5th, 2011, 12:17 pm

I pm'd you as well, but thought I'd check in here as well.

I had an Uncle Lewis Goldstein, and when I was growing up, was told that he used to be an assistant to Harry Houdini. I've been researching that, to determine if this is true, and came across your post here.

I do not have any information on the Lewis in my family, in terms of birth/death, but the dates seem about right. He married my father's father's sister, Ida Cohen. My father's father was born in 1886, so this matches.

Further, the bottom-most photo that you posted clearly looks like the uncle I remember.

I'd be interested in any additional information you might have.

Thanks.

Don Cohen

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » March 5th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Don,
email me at pkcull@aol.com
I don't have a whole lot on Lewis Goldstein but I will send you what I have.
Patrick Culliton
http://www.houdinisghost.com
And disregard anything you may have read about Larry Lewis being Lewis Goldstein. Lewis Goldstein never forgot he knew Houdini's secrets and he never ratted them out.
He was Mysterious Brooks. Born I think in London, died I think in Brooklyn.
Larry Lewis? I don't know who he was or if he really fits into the Houdini story at all.

DLCPhoto

Postby DLCPhoto » March 5th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Email sent, Patrick - thanks!

Don

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » March 8th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Well, I sent copies of immigration records and an article about Lewis Goldstein to Don Cohen whose grandmother, Esther, was Ida Goldstein's sister.
He sent me some wonderful photos, a couple of which I have posted on my website:
Now, Don, it's time you return to the fold and start performing some magic--I'll bet you haven't lost the touch. Your Granduncle Lewis was a major player in Houdini's career.
Patrick Culliton

DLCPhoto

Postby DLCPhoto » March 24th, 2011, 1:41 pm

houdini's ghost wrote:Well, I sent copies of immigration records and an article about Lewis Goldstein to Don Cohen whose grandmother, Esther, was Ida Goldstein's sister.
He sent me some wonderful photos, a couple of which I have posted on my website:
Now, Don, it's time you return to the fold and start performing some magic--I'll bet you haven't lost the touch. Your Granduncle Lewis was a major player in Houdini's career.
Patrick Culliton

Haha! Just found this message today. As intriguing as that possibility sounds, I don't think I have the 'entertainment' personality that would be needed for such a venture!

Thanks again for the help!

Don

P.S. I just noticed a minor error in your post. My grandmother, Esther, would have been Ida's sister-in-law. Ida's brother was Harry, my grandfather.

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » March 24th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Thanks, Don.
I continue to look for tidbits about Lewis Goldstein.
And thank you for correcting that. Harry was Ida's brother and your grandfather. I got it now.
Patrick

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”