"Conjuring Psychology"

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
George Olson

"Conjuring Psychology"

Postby George Olson » April 10th, 2003, 9:20 am

Back in the middle to Llte Seventies, a Richard Weible(sp), had a column in the Linking Ring called "Comjuring Psychology." I recall these were well thought out and informative!

With all the thought bandied about these days concerning presentation, these might be a very valuable tool in our arsenal.

I have a few clipped out and reread them from time to time. Although they are thirty years old the thinking is avant garde and helpful.

Two questions, is Mr. Weible still down in, I believe, Virginia or the Carolins, and is it possilble he might want to re-run them.

Thanks,

George

Re: "Conjuring Psychology"

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2003, 10:40 am

I also stumbled on some interesting articles about psychology in The Sphinx.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2003, 11:06 am

Richard J. Weibel is alive and well and still actively interested in magic and magic theory. He lives in Allentown PA. He would probably welcome a reprint of his columns, though I belive MAGICO issued some kind of reprinted version some time ago. I don't believe he has an email address, but you can find his mailing address and phone number by searching for him on www.switchboard.com
Prior to his Linking Ring columns, he wrote columns for the Sphinx on this topic.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 10th, 2003, 7:32 pm

Thank you Richard! In all humility, is there anything you don't know?? :D

I'll try to locate him tomorrow.

GO

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2003, 7:52 pm

Hi George,

There was also an interesting book that Jason Randal wrote (which he also published) in 1982 titled, The Psychology of Deception (Why Magic Works). It looks like it was a pretty limited edition (mine is numbered 139 of 500). It is really a good book.

Bob Phillips

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 11th, 2003, 10:49 am

Is it for sale???

GO

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 11th, 2003, 11:16 am

George, I have a copy of the Jason Randall book somewhere. If you're really interested, I can dig it up (might take awhile, though.)

Jeff

Postby Guest » April 11th, 2003, 5:54 pm

Anyone know if Jason Randal is the same Jason Randal who appeared as "magician" in Pretty Woman ?

I have a copy of the aforementioned book. I seem to recall it was his doctoral dissertation.

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2003, 9:13 am

Dick Hatch is correct that Magico reprinted WEibel's columns as a pamphlet, altho it's not that common to find.

The Randall book was his dissertation, I believe. It's not particularly common either, but it comes around from time to time.

There are a number of books that specifically deal w/ the psychology of conjuring or have a chapter specifically devoted to the subject. I'm actually hoping to have a section in one of my upcoming catalogs on this subject.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » March 3rd, 2011, 2:19 am

Bob and Jeff, if you come across either of those readings, I'd appreciate a note if you want to sell them.

Thanks,

GO

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 3rd, 2011, 12:56 pm

Oh what a tangled trail we left
Before we find ourselves decieved

http://www.gladwell.com/1997/1997_07_27_a_khaki.htm

Engage - allure - branding - message - from there it's really your decision.

:)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

George Olson

Postby George Olson » March 3rd, 2011, 5:19 pm

Oh God Jonathon!

What the hell is the unfathomable point are you trying to make?

It makes my brain hurt when you post such tripe!

GO

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » March 3rd, 2011, 5:46 pm

George, eight years later, I still have my copy. Let me know if you want it.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » March 3rd, 2011, 9:30 pm

That's the Randal book correct..

If so, yes, depending on price. Us retired guys have got to watch our pennies.

It's only been 8 years; I never just jump into something!!!

GO
Last edited by George Olson on March 3rd, 2011, 9:31 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Add a thought

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 3rd, 2011, 10:29 pm

George Olson wrote:Oh God Jonathon!

What the hell is the unfathomable point are you trying to make?

It makes my brain hurt when you post such tripe!

GO

Nice post.

George, the most basic strategy for practical deception requires engagement, a target audience and a crafted message. Some factors that greatly effect those pre-requisites are discussed in the linked article. As to whether or not ones message accurately reflects our shared reality is its own choice. In the article it's made pretty clear that some themes or insights are uncomfortable for target audiences and so they have to be left to continue fooling themselves about a position they hold. Hence the reference to what others might find a tangled web and our endless practice to deceive which often fails for reasons which seem unknowable at the time.

Jeff - also interested in reading the thesis - not so much a collector here though.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on March 3rd, 2011, 10:50 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: clarified. not butter.

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » March 9th, 2011, 5:32 pm

I also have a copy of Jason Randall's book (but not for sale). It is one of the many sources in the bibliography for the "Principles of Deception" presentation that I have been giving on a regular basis as part of the training program for analysts at our various national intelligence agencies since 1992. (Be advised I accept no blame for any intelligence failures that have occured during that period as they were probably due to failure of the trainees to follow my advice.;-) )
Dick Christian

Return to “General”