separating roughed cards

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
nornando

separating roughed cards

Postby nornando » February 14th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Believe it or not, I've been doing magic for a hap hazard living over the past hundred years or so, and have never been able to get roughed cards to separate. And I'm talking about "factory machined" as well as cards I've prepared myself.
I've used varying degrees of "light" touch and my fingers continue slide over the pairs that I'm trying to split.
Any suggestions would be appreciated before I give up forever on the invisible deck (and the zillion other effects that use this principle).

Frank Yuen

Re: separating roughed cards

Postby Frank Yuen » February 14th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Not sure on any specific technique for separating roughed cards but if you are willing to prepare the cards yourself may I suggest the half roughing procedure. That makes separation a breeze.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 15th, 2011, 8:10 am

It may well be that a degree of stickiness is required to permit ones fingers to separate the pairs by some amount of direct lifting rather than forced sliding.

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » February 15th, 2011, 12:31 pm

I lift the card, not slid it.

You can experiment:
-ribbon the cards at the table and lift the card.
-do a fan, or pass cards one hand to the other an when you locate your card, pinch the border separating them and 'slide' without touching themselves.
Andres Reynoso

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 15th, 2011, 1:09 pm

You can rough cards heavily or lightly, depending upon how much you spray on.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

nornando

Postby nornando » February 16th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Many thanks for the suggestions, I plan on trying all the above.
I should add that the late Sen. Crandall gave me an Invisible Card Deck that he'd corner shorted so that you could riffle the index to find the selected card, then spread to reveal. He maintained that some hands were just too dry to ever make the split. Unfortunately that deck is long gone and I've never gone to the trouble to make up another. (Dry? I live in the desert where 20% is big time humidity)

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » February 16th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Do you have dry hands? I do and my wife introduced me to (by far) the best lotion I have ever used, it's not cheap at $20 for a 16oz. Bottle. Once applied you can rub it till it's completely dry and leaves no residue or oils on your cards
"EIDON silica and msm moisturizing lotion"
Frank Quiroz

nornando

Postby nornando » February 28th, 2011, 8:34 pm

this to Frank.......ordered and received the lotion and, as you said, no residue. More important, has helped with my "roughing" problem.........thanks

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » February 28th, 2011, 11:28 pm

Glad it worked for you man.
Frank Quiroz

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » August 6th, 2011, 9:07 pm

An older thread but a newish answer: erase the roughness from a 1.5" circle in the middle of each card back. Wallahh: practically push-button magic.

Return to “Reference Room”