Review of MOAB 2.0

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
Dick Christian

Review of MOAB 2.0

Postby Dick Christian » February 13th, 2011, 4:46 am

In 1995 Ted Karmilovich took the world of mentalism by storm with the release of his Mother Of All Book Tests (commonly referred to as MOAB) which very quickly became, and has largely remained, the gold standard to which most subsequent book tests have been compared. With the release of MOAB 2.0 he has done it again.

Unlike the original MOAB which was published in both paperback and hardcover editions, MOAB 2.0 is only offered as a paperback (the preference of most working pros) and is the same size as the original but with a different title, author, cover design and text. The basic effect, methodology and presentation are the same as in the original MOAB but multiple new features have been incorporated to give MOAB 2.0 a degree of flexibility that is unparalleled in any of the hundreds of book tests I have seen. Among the new features is the fact that all of the force words are things that can be visualized thus lending them to being revealed by drawing them rather than spelling them (in the original MOAB this was true of only some of the words).

Multiple handlings/presentations (i.e., for radio, TV, close-up as well as stage, as a prediction, reading a thought instead of a word or design duplication, using more than a single participant, etc.) and ploys are described in detail as are applications for use in association with other effects such as hellstromism, any card at any number, chair test, invisible deck and Key-R-Rect just to name a few. Those who are fortunate enough to aleady have the paperback edition of the original MOAB will recognize the opportunity afforded by the ability to use both it and MOAB 2.0 in concert.

My only fears are that with over 300 possible revelations and effects some idiots will be tempted to use the single book for a medley of tests, leading the audience to the inevitable conclusion that it is a trick book and thereby defeating the fact that, like its predecessor, it is completely examinable with little or no likelihood that its secrets will be detected or that some will fail to CAREFULLY read, understand and follow the instructions (specifically paragraphs 3-6 on page 7) and assume that Ted has inadvertently included some incorrect force words as they did in the case of the original MOAB.

The working pro will find MOAB 2.0 an indispensable addition to his repertoire and it is hoped that the $395 price tag will be sufficient to keep it out of the hands of the inept, the merely curious and other collectors of secrets.

Highly recommended for those who take their mentalism seriously.

For those in the New York area Ted's February 17 lecture at Tannens is sold out but an encore presentation has been scheduled for February 18 and as of this writing I understand that tickets are still available so if you'd like to meet Ted and see him and MOAB 2.0 in action, you can do so on Friday, February 18.
Dick Christian

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Review of MOAB 2.0

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Dick, how can the book be ordered?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » February 13th, 2011, 2:38 pm

The following link is one place:
http://www.promystic.com/shop/index.php ... &Itemid=30

The advantage of ordering from Craig is that you will receive routines for MOAB written by Michael Weber which will be exclusive to this website. Joe Stevens is also selling at the same price but without the Weber routine. These are the only two sites that I have received ads from about MOAB 2.

If you can afford this, then the additional Weber routine seems to make ProMystic the best deal, IMHO.

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » February 13th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Richard,

A quick check indicates that it is currently available through most dealers, although not all of them offer the extra Michael Weber routine Dan Hendrix mentioned. I don't know whether or not it can be purchased directly from Ted. There is nothing in the material accompanying the book that indicates a source other than YFD.
Dick Christian

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Thanks. Hoping to get a review copy from Genii, but that would have to come from the publisher. Dick, perhaps you'd ask Ted for me?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dick Christian

Postby Dick Christian » February 13th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Richard,

Tried to send you a PM but got a reply saying you don't accept them. Contact marcsky@comcast.net about getting a review copy for Genii.

For other interested parties, you CAN purchase directly from via marcsky@comcast.net -- they take PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, Check, and money order. Price is $395.00 + $5.00 shipping, ($10.00 overseas).
Dick Christian

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 13th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Don Hendrix wrote:The following link is one place:
http://www.promystic.com/shop/index.php ... &Itemid=30

The advantage of ordering from Craig is that you will receive routines for MOAB written by Michael Weber which will be exclusive to this website.

According to the site, Craig Filicetti sales@promystic.com
is the proprietor.

I've never ordered anything from this site--has anyone had experience with him or his company?

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » February 14th, 2011, 2:15 am

Craig sells some great magic, which he also makes, such as Multi Dimensional, which I bought from him a couple of years ago and use a lot. He is, in my experience, a thoroughly honest and reliable dealer. His stuff is not inexpensive, but well worth the money. He makes high-quality electronic magic. If you contact him through his website, he will reply in a timely manner and answer any questions you might have. I have never heard any negative comments about Craig, his products, or his customer service.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » February 14th, 2011, 2:22 am

The Michael Weber material for MOAB will only be available from Craig's website. This is what Michael told me via email within the past week. Since the price is the same from all dealers, ordering from Craig would be my first choice. While I have not seen Michael's routine, the quality of his thinking is well-known, and his routine is surely worth having.

V Marra

Postby V Marra » April 3rd, 2011, 5:14 pm

I agree, Craig is great to deal with, I have purchased from him before and he is very reputable.

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”