Robert Heller

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Robert Heller

Postby Joe Pecore » January 17th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Check out my Dean Carnegie's Magic Detective Blog. This week he has info on Robert Heller: http://deancarnegie.blogspot.com/
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Joe Pecore

Re: Robert Heller

Postby Joe Pecore » January 18th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Part 2 of Dean's story about Heller is now up http://deancarnegie.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... art-2.html

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 19th, 2011, 2:26 am

These are really great, thanks, Joe. I'm especially interested in the role E. P. Hingston played in Heller's career. Before Hingston managed Artemus Ward, he managed Anderson, the Great Wizard of the North, and later Washington Simmons (aka, Dr. Lynn). I think Hingston's role in 19th century magic is worth further exploration.

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » January 19th, 2011, 9:54 pm

I put together a quick bio on Hingston on MagicPedia http://geniimagazine.com/magicpedia/E._P._Hingston (hoping others can add to it!)

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 20th, 2011, 9:51 am

Excellent stuff, thanks, Joe!

Dean Carnegie

Postby Dean Carnegie » January 21st, 2011, 4:52 pm

I did a short piece on Dr. Lynn back in December though I didn't mention E.P. Hingston. It's also no where near as detailed as the Robert Heller piece which is probably the most in depth piece I did. I try to keep the blog entries fairly short, but Heller was fascinating and it was easier to break it up into three parts.

Actually there is a fourth part, but I'm holding it till later in the year in the hopes I can get some fresh photos and locate some Heller props that still exist.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2011, 5:39 pm

Dean, I haven't read the second part of your piece, but what years would Heller have been selling magic sets?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » January 21st, 2011, 7:04 pm

Does anyone know if Heller ever became an American citizen?

Dean Carnegie

Postby Dean Carnegie » January 22nd, 2011, 12:32 am

Richard, That is a good question. I don't have an definitive answer other than an educated guess. His return to magic was in the 1860s and around 1864 he met up with E.P. Hingston who helped propel his career. My guess is that it would be between 1864 and 1878. I do know in 1875 he had a booklet printed up called "His Doings". He was touring in Europe and abroad at that time. He came back to the US in 1877 with a ton of supplies, 49 tons to be exact (or that's what he claimed). I'm sure magic sets were among that 49 tons.

But in all honesty, I didn't even know he had magic sets. I'm researching the actual 'magic' he did right now and that will probably come up in the research.

Do you have a Heller Magic Set?

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » January 22nd, 2011, 10:09 am

In regards to Heller's possible American citizenship status, Dean and I can not find any records in which he thought out citizenship. I did find this summary of the history of American Naturalization process interesting http://history.sd.gov/Archives/Data/Nat ... fault.aspx

Since he married an American woman, it might be possible that she may have lost her citizenship and became British, but I'm not positive. Everything is a bit fuzzy to me about the procedures on becoming a US citizen prior to The Naturalization Act of June 29, 1906 which declared standard fees and forms and created the Bureau of Immigration and Naturalization.

Dean Carnegie

Postby Dean Carnegie » January 22nd, 2011, 12:14 pm

If anyone has any Robert Heller props or memorabilia you'd be willing to share photos/stories of, please let me know. My final blog on Heller will be about his magic but I'm taking my time on that and trying to track down as much stuff as I can.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm

Heller (and Hartz) magic sets are very rare, however several folks in New England have Heller sets.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dean Carnegie

Postby Dean Carnegie » January 22nd, 2011, 4:00 pm

Wow. I know that Heller's will stated that all his stuff be destroyed upon his death, but he had a death bed change of heart so his things were supposed to go to the magic dealer Hartz for him to sell.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”