P&T Fool Us

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Gary M Kosnitzky

P&T Fool Us

Postby Gary M Kosnitzky » January 11th, 2011, 9:45 am

Jonathan Townsend

Re: P&T Fool Us

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 11th, 2011, 9:54 am

wow, the BBC is cool about their shows going up on YouTube etc?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Stokes

Postby Richard Stokes » January 11th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Penn & Teller were on ITV , not BBC.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 19th, 2011, 8:01 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:wow, the BBC is cool about their shows going up on YouTube etc?

No, of course they aren't. It's copyright infringement/piracy and it ASTOUNDS me that people are posting links to this stolen content. And that these links are not being removed. I guess all the magicians pissing and moaning about it with their own material have either changed their minds, or have huge double standards.

That being said, I just watched the P&T show from my DVR as I was away while it was on.

Astoundingly good. Every part of it: the tricks, the lighting and set, the editing, the sound, the whole package made The Magicians look even worse that it was.

So good to see Mr Vincent just perform a pure card routine for several minutes.

I was really worried that people couldn't do magic on telly any more after seeing the amount of awesome people involved in The Magicians manage to create that pile of crap. However, Fool Us renewed my faith. Wonderful stuff.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 19th, 2011, 12:05 pm

mrgoat wrote:No, of course they aren't.

I'm not saying that they are "cool" with it, but how do you know they aren't ("viral marketing" and all that stuff)? Are you a spokesman for the BBC (or ITV)? Legal counsel? Best buds with the janitor?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 19th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote:
mrgoat wrote:No, of course they aren't.

I'm not saying that they are "cool" with it, but how do you know they aren't ("viral marketing" and all that stuff)? Are you a spokesman for the BBC (or ITV)? Legal counsel? Best buds with the janitor?

You can excuse the blatant disregard for copyright here with that comedic idea if you like, but as there are many official social media accounts on all the major video sharing sites, I - as an online marketeer - fail to see any reason why they would create fake user accounts to undermine the snippets of copyrighted material they chose to release via those mediums.

http://www.youtube.com/user/itv1?blend=1&ob=4
http://www.youtube.com/user/channel4?blend=2&ob=4

etc

Of course you could be right. Someone in the online marketing department for the channel may well have created fake non-official accounts with a couple of dozen followers in order to, um, er, in order to...no sorry. Can't think of a reason.

I work in an industry that has been decimated because of a disregard for copyright, so I can see closer than most what happens when piracy almost takes over from purchase as the method for watching the content YOU deem worth breaking the law for.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 19th, 2011, 2:11 pm

I excsued nothing and you know it...unless you cannot read. I asked you a question. That question was how do you know ITV doesn't care what other people do. So I added a touch of humor. Big freakin' deal.

Goat, I'm tired of your BS, pure and simple. You stir the pot more than anyone here, and clearly just for the fun of it. That's a troll. That's enough for me to take action and I have. Go away.

Dustin

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » January 19th, 2011, 2:47 pm

Dustin, would you suggest we all download pirated L&L DVDs? How do you know they haven't been posted to the interwebs by L&L as "viral marketing"? If you know L&L hasn't done so (and do you have a policy statement to that effect?), well maybe Alakazam has. In the absence of affirmative policy statements, what would a reasonable default assumption be?

I think goat raised an uncomfortable but valid question about inconsistent attitudes in the magic community with regard to copyright. I sincerely hope he hasn't been banned.

Also, since you asked:

ITV: no plans to put shows on YouTube

Broadcaster says it will not do deals with video-on-demand aggregation services, but will build traffic for its own player

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/ma ... utube-hulu

A senior ITV executive has said today that the broadcaster had "no plans" to do output deals to put its programming on video-on-demand aggregation services such as Hulu, YouTube, SeeSaw and MSN Video Player.

The ITV director of online and interactive, Ben McOwen Wilson, told a session at the MediaGuardian Changing Media Summit that the broadcaster would instead seek to build online viewing of its programming via its own VoD service, ITV Player.

[...]

"We have no plans at present to do any deals with YouTube. We are following an ITV Player-led solution because we want to push our own platform as hard as we can. We enjoyed 180% growth in terms of usership of ITV Player last year," McOwen Wilson said, speaking at a Changing Media Summit session on the future of TV.

"Hulu is a major success in the US but the UK TV market is a different place," he added.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 19th, 2011, 3:24 pm

There's a difference between downloading pirated material, and simply watching something that's been posted on the internet. Don't compare the two.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » January 19th, 2011, 3:36 pm

The original (and best) P&T Fool Us thread.

P&T Fool Us

Just doing a wee bit of housekeeping on the Forum - hope you don't mind.

A.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 19th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Ted M wrote:Dustin, would you suggest we all download pirated L&L DVDs?

Did I suggest that Ted? NO!!! In fact, I CLEARLY said I wasn't saying any such thing in the first sentence.

All goat-boy had to do was post what you did to answer the question. Instead, being the troll that he is, he accussed me of saying something I didn't; just like you are doing now.

We're done here. Follow the link in AJM's post to the other thread.

Dustin

Return to “Link Watch”