Want to buy cups and balls

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Frank Quiroz

Want to buy cups and balls

Postby Frank Quiroz » January 8th, 2011, 3:27 am

Anybody looking to sell a set? I don't have a high budget, if you have something available message me with some pics and info. Thanks
Frank Quiroz

Bill Palmer

Re: Want to buy cups and balls

Postby Bill Palmer » January 8th, 2011, 4:09 am

What kind of budget do you have? What type of cups are you looking for? Great ones? Small ones? Some as big as your head?

What metal? Copper, Brass, Silver, Aluminum?

Chop cup, three cup set, Combo cups?
Bill Palmer, MIMC

jgottlob

Postby jgottlob » January 8th, 2011, 12:31 pm

I don't know if these would even interest you, but about 50 years ago I was given a trunk of magic that belonged to an magician who died. In it was what I perceive to be a cheap set of C&B. They are light weight & have one bead around the middle. Shiny copper color on the outside, and a dull silver on the inside. I don't think that it is copper because in all these years, they never tarnished or changed color. They are 3 1/2" tall and have a 2 3/4" mouth. I don't know anything else about them. I keep telling myself that I should learn a routine, but as I said, it's been about 50 years, and I still haven't done it.
jake
Monmouth County, NJ

jgottlob

Postby jgottlob » January 8th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Sorry, that last message was directed to Bill. since he knows more about C&B's than anyone that I know of, I thought that he might be able to give me a lead on what these are.
jake

Monmouth County, NJ

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » January 8th, 2011, 12:37 pm

$100-$150, something with good weight to it, no aluminum, combo or regular 3 cup will be considered, larger load preferred.
I was looking at a Paul fox set on rnt2.com but I figured I'd ask here first.
Frank Quiroz

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 8th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Jake, send some pix to curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com

I'll see if I can identify them for you.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 8th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Frank:

The Paul Fox cups on the RnT II site are good cups. The Foxy II.V's are also excellent cups. The copper cups by Bazar de Magia are decent cups for the money.

Go to the cups and balls museum site. If you don't have a username and password, send an e-mail to me as directed on the site, and I will send you what you need to log on.

There are currently 1725 items on the site, categorized by a whole bunch of different criteria. It's free, and it's basically non-commercial.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » January 8th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Bill's site is one of the greatest sites devoted to magic that I've ever seen.
SO happy he makes this invaluable resource available to us.
Thank you, Bill.
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 8th, 2011, 4:37 pm

My pleasure, Ruben.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

GregMcMahan

Postby GregMcMahan » January 10th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Tom Frank has a really nice set of C&B, might be worth looking into. He performs at the Castle sometimes, I'm sure they can help you contact him.
The BEST Instant Author Kit - Make $$:
"Learn Magic"

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » January 12th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Thanks everybody for the help, after looking at the museum website and a few other sites it makes me want to go above my spending cap and just get a set of awesome cups. On that same note, if someone has an extra set they are looking to part with, let me know, thanks again!
Frank Quiroz

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » January 13th, 2011, 4:29 pm

jakeg wrote:I don't know if these would even interest you, but about 50 years ago I was given a trunk of magic that belonged to an magician who died. In it was what I perceive to be a cheap set of C&B. They are light weight & have one bead around the middle. Shiny copper color on the outside, and a dull silver on the inside. I don't think that it is copper because in all these years, they never tarnished or changed color. They are 3 1/2" tall and have a 2 3/4" mouth. I don't know anything else about them. I keep telling myself that I should learn a routine, but as I said, it's been about 50 years, and I still haven't done it.

Those very well may be a set of P&L cups. They lacquered their cups, so they tended to remain the same color for a long time. They used to paint the insides of the cups silver.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » January 13th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Frank, I have a set of Johnny Paul bronze for sale similar to what Kaps used on video. My email is jack7ton@gmail.com if interested.

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » January 13th, 2011, 11:16 pm

Frank, I have a set of Johnny Paul bronze for sale similar to what Kaps used on video. My email is jack7ton@gmail.com if interested.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 19th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Frank:
I realize that you crossed aluminum cups off your list, but you may wish to check out the new "Featherweight" cups in the Brett Sherwood line: http://www.sherwoodmagic.com/

They are made by one of the world's best cups craftsmen, and if they are anything like his higher end cups (which they certainly appear to be), they are an amazing value at $150.

His smooth brass and copper cups might also meet your needs, albeit at a higher price point.

Check 'em out! :)

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » January 19th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Yes, thanks. I was looking at those and was very tempted because of the price tag. I am considering picking up a set of johnson cups that were offered to me via a PM, however i am still a bit undecided (plus i need to save up a few bucks).
Frank Quiroz

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » March 11th, 2011, 8:06 am

Old post but I'm still shopping for a set, my budget is a bit bigger now. I'll be shopping for a set till the end of the month and if nothing comes up I'll just pick up a brand new set. Anything else out there?
Frank Quiroz

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 11th, 2011, 8:21 am

Frank Quiroz wrote:Anybody looking to sell a set? I don't have a high budget, if you have something available message me with some pics and info. Thanks

Frank, IMHO if you actually have plans to peform the trick for people in the real world then the best way to get started is with the cheapest set that won't blow away in the wind outside and with a set of balls that won't blow off the table. From there - and your audineces you can learn more about the trick in a few days of exploring than from years of fussing with what others have found beautiful or clever.

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » March 11th, 2011, 8:51 am

I do have a set (that will blow away in the wind) that I have been practicing with for a couple months. In that short amount of time I have pretty much learned the basics and have determined that this is one effect that I definitely intend to master. I guess that's why I'm looking into getting good cups now (especially considering I just received my tax return). Also, even if in the long run I were to give up magic (never!), I am a collector of just about anything collectable and I think a pretty set of cups would be a nice addition.
Frank Quiroz

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 11th, 2011, 9:09 am

I wish you the best in mastering even so much as was explored back when Bosco and Hofzinser were performing. Maybe Andrew Galloway will tell you about how John Ramsay produced glasses of wine from under the cups in one of his routines. Pehaps you might even bring the older trick with the bag of stones and plates back into performance as described by Alcephron long ago.

On a good day I can do a very short cups routine. Even after refining a ball vanish and discovering a decent load for small cups (see items in Apocalypse magazine)... not even close to, nor any expectataion of, mastering that area of magic.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » March 11th, 2011, 9:56 am

JP brass cups are heavy, easily tarnished by performance (not necessarily a minus), and almost as ungimmicked-appearing as 'magic cups' can seem. Three JP chop cups are another way to go, maybe with eBay's help.

Frank Quiroz

Postby Frank Quiroz » March 11th, 2011, 10:11 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:I wish you the best in mastering even so much as was explored back when Bosco and Hofzinser were performing.

Perhaps I was overstating by using the word "master". I guess what I meant is that I intend to put a great deal of effort into learning a good routine and using it as part of my act.
Frank Quiroz

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » March 11th, 2011, 1:20 pm

PM me at Bilmcfdn@comcast.net. I have a JP set you may be interested in, with the best price you'll find anywhere.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”