Payment for convention workshop almost a year overdue

Post topics about the business side of magic.
GregMcMahan

Payment for convention workshop almost a year overdue

Postby GregMcMahan » January 10th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Hello to all magicians of quality and others!

I've been very very patient and remained pleasant for quite some time, but I'm now losing my patience. I did a 4 hour workshop at a convention in January of 2010. I have yet to be paid. I have contacted the organizer many times, by email and phone. Still no payment. Any ideas on how to proceed? Similar experiences?
The BEST Instant Author Kit - Make $$:
"Learn Magic"

Terry

Re: Payment for convention workshop almost a year overdue

Postby Terry » January 10th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Try Attorney General's office in the state where the convention was held.

GregMcMahan

Postby GregMcMahan » January 10th, 2011, 6:08 pm

That is a final resort option I am willing to use, but I'd like to exhaust all other options first.

"Learn Magic"

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 10th, 2011, 7:37 pm

I would imagine that simply explaining to them that you are going to publicize this on the internet would be enough motivation for them to pay you. Otherwise they're going to have a hard time hiring performers for their convention in the future.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » January 11th, 2011, 12:17 pm

The attorney general isn't going to help you. It's a bad debt/breach of contract situation, not a criminal matter that they'd be interested in. You can always file in small claims court, as a last resort.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 11th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Gordon Meyer wrote:The attorney general isn't going to help you. It's a bad debt/breach of contract situation, not a criminal matter that they'd be interested in. You can always file in small claims court, as a last resort.

Don't assume that this is wholly a civil matter without criminal issues. Were any of the negotiations over the phone? It may be wire fraud. Were any of the negotiations through the U.S. mails? The postal inspector may be able to help you.

Let the appropriate attorney general tell you if he can help at worst, you've written a letter which doesnt yield results and you are only out a stamp. (CC a copy of the letter to the person who stiffed you it may be sufficient to put the fear of God in them).

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » January 11th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Non/late payment issues suck. I do think, though, that Greg is right to tread lightly. A performer who sues his clients can find himself without clients...It's a good reason to try -- and of course it isn't possible with every client -- to make sure a check is in your hand before, at the very latest, leaving the gig.

I don't know about the world of magic convention bookers, I do know that the worlds in which I work are very small ones and word can travel fast. People don't know both sides of the story, and they don't want the risk of bringing in someone who may take them to court...so, yes, it is in the back pocket for extreme instances...but -- and it sounds like this is where Greg is -- I'd keep it way in the back pocket

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » January 12th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Hello Greg............

I think we might be talking about the same convention where I lectured. Myself, and others, had similar problems. I eventually got paid I believe it was in April or May. If you want to name names as you started this thread, I will either agree or disagree with you, as I need to make sure we are on the same page. There is another similar convention this year coming up soon, and I think all the lecturers should be warned, don't you? JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 12th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Never go on unless you have the cash in your had beforehand. It's amazing how the money will suddenly be found.

GregMcMahan

Postby GregMcMahan » January 13th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Good news!! The convention organizer is making good on the debt, and everybody's happy... YAY!! I knew he was a good guy, and would settle it. It just took longer than I expected.

Thanks!!

"Learn Magic"

Return to “Marketing & Magic Business”