Los Angeles Magic Conference

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Brook

Los Angeles Magic Conference

Postby Brook » December 29th, 2010, 6:20 am

Los Angeles Magic Conference Day 0
The Los Angeles Conference on Magic History was held over a three-day period, November 5 through 7, 2009. This is my story of the event.

It doesnt seem like two years. The conference is held every other year. I had to force myself start saying last conference because I found myself saying last year, repeatedly. Perhaps wishful thinking.

I flew out to LA a day early. I dont travel much, not to anywhere, so I wanted to be a tourist. Just for a day.

My flight went out of OHare at 7:30 A.M., 80% full. The one trick I have learned traveling is that if you need space sit in back. This is the part of the plane that is most likely to have empty seats. It did. With the middle seat vacant, I could relax and stretch a little. Not as much a the guy in the row behind me, who was able to lay across all three seats and take a nap.

At LAX, I took the Super Shuttle to the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn. This is the regular conference hotel. Ive written before on how much I like this hotel and my opinion hasnt changed. In the two years since Ive been here, they have improved.

The hotel expanded the lobby, the store, and built a wonderful patio out back. They also seem to have the friendliest staff. From the desk clerks and the door staff to the housekeepers and maintenance staff, all had a smile, hello or a good morning.

(I wish I could say the same for the attached restaurant, Tulas. The service was slow to non-existent. They seemed overwhelmed and unprepared by the fact they had any business. The same goes for the hotel bar, Decoy.)

After a quick unpack and lunch, I snuck over to the main room where they were setting up the stage for the conference. I said hellos to those I knew, like Mike Caveney and Jim Steinmeyer. I had to ask Jim about the Magic Castle. The plan was to go to the Castle that evening but I could not remember the address for the cab. I thought I could get in because of being out at the conference.

Jim introduced me to Rob Zabrecky, who was performing that night. Rob put me on his list so I would have no problem getting in. Then when I said I was just going to take a cab over, another worker, Scott Smith offered to give me, a complete stranger, a ride. Scott, Scotto the magician, runs a contest at the Castle and physically walked me inside to ensure there would be no problems.

That Wednesday night the Castle celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the building itself. The place was packed and Vodka was the drink of the night. For the specials and for myself.

I only got to see shows in the parlor and in the palace theaters. John Lenahan performed a nice, relatively standard, stand-up comedy magic set in the parlor. I met Fernando Keops at the bar. Didnt get to see him work, but I will say his jewelry would be the envy of Liberace.

In the Palace they were doing short, 25 minute shows with cabaret style seating. Bruce Gold hosted the show. He was affable albeit generic. Gregory Wilson, who is a fine close-up magician, did a forced set, trying to hard to gain the audiences favor. Christopher Hart performed a solid set of tried and true material, an act he has spent 20 performing. Tina Lenert performed a silk and ring routine which had some nice ideas and moves in it. I think it may still be a work in progress and shows great promise. Rob Zabrecky performed a delightfully off-kilter act seemingly inspired by Charles Addams. And not the TV or movie Addams family but the original cartoons in the New Yorker.

One of the highlights of my stop at the Castle was the personal tour of the library by its slightly tipsy librarian, Bill Goodwin.

Actually I ended up not drinking as much as I expected, which forced me into being shanghaied into driving Tim Felix and Mark Kaschube back to the hotel. But first a stop at Jack-in-the-Box. No, I did not eat the tacos. I learned my lesson from last year, oops, last conference.
-------------------
Los Angeles Magician

mrgoat

Re: Los Angeles Magic Conference

Postby mrgoat » December 29th, 2010, 7:30 am

Nice write up.

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » December 29th, 2010, 8:42 pm

No it wasn't. The show this gentleman saw in the Parlor of Prestidigitation went 25 minutes; the show in the Palace of Mystery was 45 minutes. I know, I was there.
This man writes like a drinker, whether he is one or not. He counts himself a good observer of magical acts and performers.
Who is Brook. Is Brook a professional?
Don't get me wrong, I think magic should have it aspiring Samuel Pepses.

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » December 30th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Patrick, you're wrong on this one.

For the building's 100th anniversary, the Palace was booked in the same unusual manner as it is for New Year's Eve: The house is set up cabaret style (i.e., tables & chairs), and there's a series of shorter show units (about 25 minutes) that consist of one MC with a rotating cast of acts, two per show unit.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » December 31st, 2010, 8:09 am

And, Mr. Brooks, how was the conference?
Here's a link to photos from the 2007 conference.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-et ... otogallery
Last edited by Doug Thornton on December 31st, 2010, 8:13 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Oh, and if you were going to take a taxi but then got a ride, how did you give the other folks a ride? I know, I'm being annoying asking for details, like Columbo.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Joe Batters

Postby Joe Batters » January 1st, 2011, 12:55 am

Mr. Books cannot tell you how the conference was. He wasn't there. For his first post on the Genii forum. He copied the entire text from this blog:

http://chicagomagic.blogspot.com/2009/1 ... day-0.html

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » January 1st, 2011, 8:39 am

A-HA!!!
Thanks Mr. Batters for tieing up that loose end, and thanks for the referral to the blog site and ChgoMagic's posts.
Smiles all around

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 1st, 2011, 8:51 am

And Mr Batters' first post is accusing Brook of plagiarism.

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.

Doug Thornton

Postby Doug Thornton » January 1st, 2011, 9:03 am

:D Double A-HA! Yes, Mr. ChgoMagic's blog states everything is copyrighted.
"If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does." - The Duchess
But enough of this, I've gotta finish reading Dustin's year end report.
Last edited by Doug Thornton on January 1st, 2011, 9:05 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: "Just one more thing..." Why the heck did Mr. B post in the first place?
Smiles all around

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » January 1st, 2011, 10:47 am

Doug Thornton wrote: "Just one more thing..." Why the heck did Mr. B post in the first place?

Most likely to get a link on the Genii Forum to his website (in his signature) in order to boost search engine results.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Joe Batters

Postby Joe Batters » January 1st, 2011, 1:54 pm

I was curious as to why Mr Brooks made this post in the first place, also. I have been a long time lurker and first time poster because that blog is mine.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » January 1st, 2011, 2:09 pm

I remember reading that Conference report when Bill Pack first posted it to his blog after the event - if I remember correctly, I'm mentioned in it as part of his report on a subsequent day.

So, "Joe Batters" - you're saying that YOU are Bill Pack?

And as for "Brook" - just the other day I noticed that this same individual posted a spam comment to Allen Ellenberger's wonderful "Hollywoodland" blog, which I check every day. He put a comment on a post of Allen's about Harry Kellar's grave, which included a link to the same site. The post was embarrassingly illiterate, so perhaps the guy "wised up" and realized he had better pinch somebody's articulate writing rather than appear an idiot.

Gotta wonder if he'll get any work out of these pathetic shenanigans.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 1st, 2011, 2:19 pm

Weirdness on the first day of 2011 ...
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » January 1st, 2011, 7:07 pm

i remember reading about the tacos at jack in the box.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”