Coins

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Mr. K

Coins

Postby Mr. K » December 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Hello,I am new to magic I have been studying the art for about 6 months my passion is cards, but I saw Eric Jones in a lecture wanted to start or open with coins. My question is how do I smooth out the coins so the clicks wont be heard as loud? thanks
>Its Only MAGIC!!<

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Coins

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 16th, 2010, 11:20 am

? Usually managed by buying slicks or less pristine condition coins from the coinshop. Another approach if you want to go forward rather than back is to use a set of Phyle coins which are better than soft, they are positivly sticky and have a propensity to multiply :)

The key is to do some corner rounding on the sharp edges of the coins. Emory cloth gets some of the work done if you are patient. The use of a rock tumbler and grit has been discussed along with some fine machining with a lathe followed up with some polishing - though not all of us have the skill and tools to follow that path.

Having tried some of the above I simply resolved to visit the coinshop and purchase older worn coins.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 16th, 2010, 1:35 pm

I would definitely recommend going to a coinshop and looking in their box of "junk" coinsjunk being the standard technical term. At least, I would recommend that if I thought you could find a coinshop anywhere in America. There used to be three in the Valley (i.e. Los Angeles) but they are all gone. The places that advertise with "coins" in their name all sell very expensive jewelry and no coins.

If there is an actual coinshop in your town I think you should go quickly before it closes. I suspect the local swap meet will be more likely to have a coin collector/vendor who can't afford a shop.

By the way I saw Eric Jones at the Castle last night and his coins across routine was absolutely beautiful and incredibly magical.

Mr. K

Postby Mr. K » December 17th, 2010, 1:14 am

Thanks guys, I got me some after reading this from work I found a great little coin shop got 4 dancing liberties for $11 each they are pretty soft cant hear them well when I do it you can a little :).
@ Pete he he amazing the guy is a coin monster lol, Im a cardsman I love cards!! but a little bit of coins cant hurt a routine right?
>Its Only MAGIC!!<

Seuss

Postby Seuss » December 17th, 2010, 11:16 pm

dancing?
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 17th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Well perhaps she was a flapper?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time