Any suggestions for the Die Box?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Ryan Matney

Any suggestions for the Die Box?

Postby Ryan Matney » October 28th, 2010, 3:36 am

I just bought my first Die Box from Abbott's

I'm a close-up card nut that has been doing kids shows over the last year or two. I don't have a large library for children's magic but I do have most of the basic texts.

I have the Stevens Magic DVD on Die Boxes but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips about the performance of the Die Box in general.

Do any of you guys use it?

I'll be using this for kids but was also wondering if anyone uses it for adults?

Incidentally, Abbotts magic has been making a much stronger web presence lately and they are currently have the fanous shenanigan die box in stock (my chooice of model). They have been really good with some larger stage items I have purchased so you might check them out...
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Any suggestions for the Die Box?

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 28th, 2010, 10:34 am

Would you like what's behind door number one, door number two or what's under the hat? ;)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » November 16th, 2010, 5:10 pm

I guess there's nothing but Erdnase fans here.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 16th, 2010, 5:59 pm

Hey, Ryan, I resemble that remark! :)

The best die box routine I have ever come accross in print was published by Robert Parish in "Great Tricks Revisisted". He published several clever routines for stand up magic that are suitable for all ages. His opening line of the die box routine is hilarious!

Although it's old hat (pun intended) to magicians, I would not sell the die box short in terms of its deceptiveness, even for adults. As Parish points out, there are some pretty sophisticated magic principles (shell principle, black art, aural misdirection, etc.) at work here. I also think the humor of the trick flows naturally from the effect, which helps lead to it's classic appeal.

I still prefer a pack of cards, but I'm not ashamed to say I pretty much destroyed my original die box from performing it so often (for adults and kids) over the years.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » November 18th, 2010, 6:07 pm

Thanks a loT! Exactly the kind of help I was hoping for.

H&R had one copy of the book you suggested and I promptly ordered it.

And, Hey, I like card tricks too. A lot. But I also like to eat. :grin:

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » November 21st, 2010, 9:45 pm

Ryan,
I will try to dig out some stuff for you when I get back from Rhode Island.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » May 4th, 2012, 6:03 am

Ryan: when I was a teenage magician back in the late 40's & early 50's I never perfoprmed the Die Box to kids! Always to adults and the dumber I looked as the thud of the Die 'sliding' ?? from side to side and my NOT ??understanding the audiences' trying to tell me 'Not that door--the other door' Not that side--the other side' brought a lot of comedy reaction from them. Finally when I opened all the doors & looked so surprised that they even thought the die was still inside--it always brought a round of applause followed by another one when the die was found under the wooden chimney or in the hat.
In my 20's I did add it to the kids' shows and that dumb approach also worked. It is the facial expressions that make the routine
Robert Parrish in his book--'A New look at Old Tricks' gives a new look at the routine. CHECK the title as I have sent my copy to my son in Portugal & Dad's memory sometimes falters a little

***Oh a flash back--the book is 'Great Tricks Revisited'

Allen Tipton
UK

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » May 4th, 2012, 9:35 am

You might also check out Pat Fallon's, "Magic for Older Children" His presentation talks about birthday gifts he received when he was a child. It's a good theme and provides a reason for having the containers used in the routeen.

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/magic-for ... -8991.html

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”