Tony Corinda

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.
zamiel

Tony Corinda

Postby zamiel » October 14th, 2010, 4:13 am

This may sound like an odd question but does anyone
know if Tony Corinda was a freemason? Also, I've
read that he never told anyone about his birth and
I was curious about that as well.

zamiel

Re: Tony Corinda

Postby zamiel » October 15th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Oh come now someone must have an idea about this? I know there are magic history buffs on these forums and that one of you must know. From what I've read freemasonry is quite widespread perhaps even some of you are part of this society. So was he or wasn't he?

zamiel

Postby zamiel » October 17th, 2010, 1:46 am

I'm still flabbergasted that not one person has responded to my thread, besides myself of course. I don't think I have ever started a thread where I did not receive at least one honest response to an inquiry. Why is that the case here?

John Wilson

Postby John Wilson » October 17th, 2010, 4:31 am

I am a freemason, and I don't know if Corinda was one...just thought I'd let you know that someone had read your thread.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » October 17th, 2010, 4:42 am

Zamiel,

Have you readen Casanova's Memories ?

He wrote : I meet Lord X. He asks me if I want to be a freemason, I say "Yes" and I become a freemason.

That's all Casanova wrote on freemasonery.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » October 17th, 2010, 5:29 am

Zamiel,

I think you're not getting many replies because Tony Corinda withdrew from the magic community many years ago and kept in touch with only a few, selected friends. Most magis would not know much about his private life and his associations...

You should ask your questions to Tony's few friends... you may have more luck.

All the best,
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

zamiel

Postby zamiel » October 17th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Hey well thanks for the reply; it's nice to know at least someone is listening.

zamiel

Postby zamiel » October 17th, 2010, 3:13 pm

No I have not read Casanova's Memories, and frankly I have no idea what that is, but I will look it up. Thank you for the information.

opie

Postby opie » October 17th, 2010, 5:33 pm

I am a Mason, but I am unaware of whether or not Tony/Thomas was a Mason .... His privacy should be respected.....

I have not read Casanova's exploits since my pubescent days, and I cannot recall reading anything Masonic....Of course, I was not really looking for anything Masonic.... I also believe that he was around long before Tony....

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 17th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Masons are quite secretive. My grandfather was a mason, but never spoke about it. I remember the pinky ring he wore, though, gold, with the mason's symbol on a black stone.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Wilson

Postby John Wilson » October 18th, 2010, 5:23 am

We're not that secretive. Just ask and I bet any mason you know will talk about it, it's just not the kind of thing that you bring up yourself.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 18th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Masons do not proselytize. My maternal grandfather was a Mason both in Scotland and America when he immigrated here in the early 20th Century. He never talked about it but wore his ring and lapel pin all the time.

I would suggest you send a letter to the United Grand Lodge of England about Corinda and you may get an answer. You could also check with the lodges near where he lived.

A lot of magicians were Masons including Kellar and some founders of the SAM, if memory serves.

opie

Postby opie » October 18th, 2010, 12:23 pm

I just received my 50-year pin as a Master Mason, and all Masons I have known are good and honorable men..... I am also a Knights Templar and have never met a Knight that I do not consider my brother. Most people who know me are unaware of my Masonic affiliations, because I don't wear the jewelry much and don't talk about it with anyone except Masons and those who might approach me about becoming a Mason....

There have been a few rotten men who held masonic degrees....Their day has or will come:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taT_IuC4 ... re=related

Please allow Tony's background to be private....opie

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » October 18th, 2010, 1:49 pm

The Grand Lodge of England includes Houdini on its list of notable Masons in a pamphlet on its website (http://www.ugle.org.uk/how-to-become-a-mason/ click "view fullscreen" on "Thinking of Becoming a Mason?")

John Wilson

Postby John Wilson » October 18th, 2010, 5:17 pm

A short list of famous magicians who were also masons can be found here http://mill-valley.freemasonry.biz/maso ... icians.htm

Ritter

Postby Ritter » December 19th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Iknew Tony for 16 years.we would talk for hours in the Corn Exchange and Crown and Woolpack pubs in Long Sutton.Not once did we talk about Freemasonry.Tony told me that during the Blitz an incendety bomb came through the roof of his house inpaled its self in a stack of the Encyclopedia Brittanica saving the house from burning down.in the late 1940's he worked for a while in medical laboratory testing urine samples.
Tony never would say what Choma means.

Barefoot Boy
Favorite Magician: Kreskin

Postby Barefoot Boy » February 16th, 2012, 3:43 pm

zamiel wrote:This may sound like an odd question but does anyone
know if Tony Corinda was a freemason? Also, I've
read that he never told anyone about his birth and
I was curious about that as well.

I know this thread is ages old, but Corinda's date of birth was May 17, 1930 as far as I know.
Outward sunshine; Inward joy,
Blessings on thee, Barefoot Boy.
www.mindreader.ca

Return to “Mentalism & Mental Magic”