HOUDINI - The Key is at the printers

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Kevin Connolly

HOUDINI - The Key is at the printers

Postby Kevin Connolly » August 4th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Patrick Culliton's latest book, "HOUDINI - the Key" is at the printers. I just posted some of the information on the book on my blog. There is also a link to the page on how to order this limited edition book. Here is the link to the blog page.

http://houdinihimself.com/?cat=3

Thanks,

Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

houdini's ghost

Re: HOUDINI - The Key is at the printers

Postby houdini's ghost » August 4th, 2010, 8:34 pm

We are now 4-5 weeks from publication. If any of you would like to take advantage of the pre-publication price of 160 + 12 shipping (in the US) you can pay by paypal to pkcull@aol.com or you can send a check to:
Patrick Culliton
8036 Jovenita Cyn.
Los Angeles, CA, 90046
After the book is published, the price will be 195 + 12.

Gregory Edmonds

Postby Gregory Edmonds » August 13th, 2010, 11:27 am

Pat:

I've been working on a piece (I'm not sure to which publication I'll offer it as yet), on the infamous incident reported by Bernard Ernst in "Houdini and Conan Doyle - Story of a Strange Friendship," in which Ernst recounts Conan Doyle's visit to Houdini and Houdini performing (perhaps his most "mysterious" trick).

Said illusion had Conan Doyle secretly write something on a sheet of paper (Ernst guilds the proverbial lilly by having him him walk several blocks from the Houdini brownstone, in order to do so, if my memory serves); moments later, the word is written by an unseen hand on a blackboard in Houdini's office/library.

Many have speculated on the effect over the years; I have three (maybe four) sources, now, clearly establishing the facts (incorrectly reported by Ernst, of course -- I have a letter Conan Doyle wrote to Houdini -- Ernst and Carrington misquote it in the book, so misinformation in this instance has precedence). Taken together, the sources paint a pretty clear picture not only of what really happened, but also HOW it was done.

Before I take the trouble to write this up, please let me know if you've covered it to a substantial degree in "THE KEY." If you'd like, I'll give you a call, and we can compare stories, just in case (the scene, by the way, is recorded -- with some Hollywood embellishment, naturally) in the film "Fairy Tail, a True Story." In the movie, the scenario takes place at the home of Conan Doyle, rather than Houdini who (as you know) really played no role in the actual events recounted in the film, at all.

Thanks in advance,

Greg Edmonds
www.ArsPraestigium.com

PS The Houdini bust we offer online is about to get a fairly significant "face lift," quite literally speaking. Please let me know, if you're interested. The first four gentlemen who purchased the initial version of the bust (each is marked " 'x' / 1000 ") now own one in an edition of only FOUR. So, of course, in the natural progression on things, these four will someday be worth much more than the newer version. Currently, we're putting the finishing touches on a Conan Doyle bust, which matches Houdini's in style and size.
Celebrate the Art of Magic

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » August 13th, 2010, 8:32 pm

I worked on the movie Fairy Tale, uncredited, as Harvey Keitel's Houdini advisor. I brought in Stanley Palm and Dorothy Young. Dorothy showed Harvey how Houdini made an entrance, how he moved.
I do write at some length in Houdini--the Key about the Mene Tekel trick Houdini performed for Conan Doyle. In brief, I mention the fact that the "witness," Ernst, was an amateur magician (president of the S.A.M.), a lawyer, and Houdini's lawyer at that. I mention Houdini's friendship with the Berol family. Max Berol presented a stage version of the Mene Tekel trick in vaudeville, which Houdini bought from his son. I mention Bert Reese and reprint the very best treatise ever written on Reese's billet switch: Houdini's explanation of it.
In Houdini A Pictorial Life, Christopher offers his theory which is pretty reasonable.
None of us was there. I could stage something like it in my house and my house isn't gimmicked from the front door to the back and from the basement to the attic like 278 W. 113th St. I don't have hidden mikes all over the house.
I urge anyone who wants the pre-publication price of 160 + 12 shipping (in the U.S.) to contact me at
pkcull@aol.com
I should have the books in my hands in four weeks. then the price will go to 195 + 12.

Gregory Edmonds

Postby Gregory Edmonds » August 13th, 2010, 11:17 pm

houdini's ghost wrote:I worked on the movie Fairy Tale, uncredited, as Harvey Keitel's Houdini advisor. I brought in Stanley Palm and Dorothy Young. Dorothy showed Harvey how Houdini made an entrance, how he moved.

That's great, sorry you weren't credited, though; I've known a couple of folks in similar circumstance. Come to think of it, I guess I could say the same about a few network television appearances by those who performed routines I provided.

If Mel Gibson was on set while you were there, did he perform his spoon bending trick? I think I saw it twice, and admit that it fooled me, but later (I believe) I worked it out. I understand he may do a little more magic as well, but have no idea when or from whom he picked it up, if he's not self-taught.

You are, of course, entirely correct about speculation regarding the "Mene Tekel" effect. You're kind in your reference to Ernst. What he clearly did in the book was, in fact, tell a bald-faced lie. Houdini himself makes reference to the trick in (I think the second?) Conjurer's Magazine he published.

In his description, as I recall, the very expression "Mene Tekel" (I have to smile at the word choice) was the same one mysteriously written on the board when he saw Berol perform (and then decided to purchase it for himself).

I don't have the magazine before me, but I seem to remember his describing its having been demonstrated in a room such as a parlor or hotel lobby, rather than the stage. The memory may be completely erroneous. With age and pain medication, my mind has become, of all the things I've ever lost, the thing I miss the most.

I look forward to your book, but will have to put it on hold because of dental work for two family members, plus two medical visits of my own to pay for next week. My ready cash, for the most part, was also invested in our new Internet ventures. I'm sure I'll find your (Houdini's) Bert Reese discussion very interesting as well.

By the way, I was fortunate to have (by lucky circumstance) a private screening of Fairy Tale when it was first released. I recall having immediately after written a review in which I complimented Mr. Keitel on his performance as "a very likable" Houdini, and what I regarded as probably the most realistic ever to appear on the screen. So, job well done!

I'll hold off on the article, but might make mention of the mystery (and my guesses regarding its modus operandi) in one of my own books. After reading your work, I may elect to do the article after all, if our opinions differ to any significant degree as to the method.

Thanks for responding.

Greg
Celebrate the Art of Magic

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » August 24th, 2010, 9:50 pm

I was asked to post my table of contents.

Introduction 7
Prologue 9
the Family
Rabbi Mayer Samuel Weiss 9
Cecelia Steiner Weiss and Her Children 12
the Boyhood 18
the Little Messenger 20
Bessie 26
Chapter One Metamorphosis 44
the Other Houdini 60
Chapter Two the Handcuff King 64
Chapter Three the Handcuff Trick 77