Post That! by Bedros "Spidey" Akkelian

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Necromancer

Post That! by Bedros "Spidey" Akkelian

Postby Necromancer » July 22nd, 2010, 12:10 pm

First of all, this is one entertaining card sequence! I don't generally do non-mental card stuff, but this one tickles me. Thanks for printing it.

About the spider drawing (for people whose nicknames aren't Spidey): since Paul the Psychic Octopus has gotten so much international press these days, maybe draw him instead?

Best,
Neil
Neil Tobin, Necromancer

David Acer

Re: Post That! by Bedros "Spidey" Akkelian

Postby David Acer » July 22nd, 2010, 6:03 pm

Necromancer wrote: About the spider drawing (for people whose nicknames aren't Spidey): since Paul the Psychic Octopus has gotten so much international press these days, maybe draw him instead?

Love it. And I'm not just saying that because my father was a psychic octopus.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » August 9th, 2010, 12:39 pm

This is suspiciously similar to David Harkey's "Simply Divine" published in 1991 in his book "Simply Harkey".

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 10th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Travis wrote:This is suspiciously similar to David Harkey's "Simply Divine" published in 1991 in his book "Simply Harkey".

I haven't read "Simply Harkey" so I can't speak to the similarity of the tricks, but suspicion isn't part of the equation - at worst Spidey has inadvertently reinvented (or closely matched) David's effect. I'll track down a copy and look into it. Interestingly, I remember this happening four or five years ago when we ran a trick by Alex Elmsley called The 4D Card, which we later learned (and reported in a subsequent issue) was very similar to a routine published years before by J.K. Hartman.

Travis

Postby Travis » August 10th, 2010, 2:47 pm

I suppose "suspiciously" wasn't the best choice of words, as I don't wish to assume or imply that Spidey lifted the material.

As for "Simply Harkey", give it a read either way. One of the best books of fresh, creative close-up material in the past 20 years.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 10th, 2010, 3:13 pm

Simply Harkey was so well received that David Harkey never wrote another large book and subsequently dropped out of sight in the world of magic.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Travis

Postby Travis » August 11th, 2010, 2:31 pm

David still performs magic quite regularly, and has been writing a book of new material. He hasn't been as visible in the magic community by choice. David branched out into commercial/television/film acting, and he had children, which became the focus of his life. He doesn't really care what the latest magic buzz is, like some of the rest of us.

I think David's book was very well received. It's often been compared to the kind of creative, playful style of magic associated with Paul Harris, though David's writing is far more elegant. "Simply Harkey" is also, in my opinion, one of the most beautifully produced magic books I've ever owned.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » August 18th, 2010, 12:18 am

David Acer wrote:
Travis wrote:This is suspiciously similar to David Harkey's "Simply Divine" published in 1991 in his book "Simply Harkey".

I haven't read "Simply Harkey" so I can't speak to the similarity of the tricks, but suspicion isn't part of the equation - at worst Spidey has inadvertently reinvented (or closely matched) David's effect. I'll track down a copy and look into it. Interestingly, I remember this happening four or five years ago when we ran a trick by Alex Elmsley called The 4D Card, which we later learned (and reported in a subsequent issue) was very similar to a routine published years before by J.K. Hartman.

Okay, I picked up a copy of Simply Harkey from John A. Greget books at the Midwest Magic Jubilee this past weekend and took a look at "Simply Divine." In that effect, a divining rod is drawn on the plastic wrapper of a cardcase, then visibly transfers onto the deck, moves from card to card, and finally arrives on the back of a selection. Published in 1991, the trick is definitely a forefunner to "Richie's Little Stickman," first published in the June 1992 issue of Genii, which in turn inspired Bedros Akkelian's "Post That" in the August 2010 issue. But the handling for all three routines is very different, and "Post That" is distinct in that it incorporates a Post-It Note to effect an interesting final transfer.

Return to “Magicana”